Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:36 AM

1,462 posts, read 2,963,471 times

Advertisements

Try Iowa or Montana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2012, 10:46 AM

4,265 posts, read 11,431,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRoad View Post
So now a person isn't even allowed to live in a preferred demographic area? What if I was a person of color, and was looking for a predominantly african American community? Would I be a racist then? Of course not, only if it's a White person trying to raise his family in a safe area.
Save the self-righteousness please...
So only white areas = safe areas? Wow, just wow.....

Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 PM

128 posts, read 217,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
No, my views would not be different at all. The problem is that your assumptions are based on race. If you are concerned about safety, then you seem to forget there are plenty of unsafe white people/neighborhoods out there. It's not a race issue; it's a good people/bad people issue. You say you know plenty of people of color. Are they all evil and out to get you? I'd guess not, yet you wouldn't want to live near them simply because they are black? That's racism, and I have no respect for your position. Live and let live you say? We'd still have segregated schools and slavery if everyone did that.

The point is, you should ask about safe/unsafe cities or neighborhoods if that's your concern. Race has nothing to do with that.

Spot on "arbyunc"! The OP should look for towns/cities with an even higher percentage of whites than Missouri or SC (if that's possible). Heck...maybe there is a place that exists where they NEVER have to even see someone who isn't "white". and there will be NO CRIME there either!

Old 02-12-2012, 03:46 PM

5,110 posts, read 7,145,807 times
Quote:
So now a person isn't even allowed to live in a preferred demographic area?
Who said that? You posted something and someone else reacted to it. So why in the world would you react to someone reacting to what you said?

What you wrote is provocative, don't act surprised and don't play victim because nobody said what you can and can't ask or do.

Old 02-12-2012, 07:25 PM

1,211 posts, read 2,677,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
This kinda goes back to my first post on this thread. NC/SC are not the best states for folks (white, Asian, Black, Hispanic, or any race) who wish to be away from ethnic diversity. There are many "white only" suburbs in America, but the south isn't really built like that. We don't have Asian, Black, White, Hispanic areas of town. Everyone (for the most part) lives together. I'll admit, there are some neighborhoods where one might find 80% or better of just one race. However, you will be "just around the corner" from an area with a large number of other races.

Also keep in mind that two out of the three cities you asked about (Charlotte and Columbia) have black males as mayors. Charlotte also recently elected an openly lesbian black city council woman. In the case of Columbia and Charlotte, your kids would be in the minority within the public schools (in Charlotte, you and your wife would represent only 45% of the total population).

It is my opinion that you might want to re-think your choices of cities and states. This is by no means me trying to judge your personal wants. I'm just trying to let you know that your ethnic reasons for wanting out of the DC metro will be the same reasons why you will want out of NC/SC.

I am not a huge fan of this particular list (best cities for African Americans) but you should try to stay away from cities that made this list. FWIW, DC, Charlotte, and Raleigh are all on the list.

Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Jacksonville)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Columbus)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Indianapolis)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Charlotte)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Dallas)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Nashville)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Houston)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Raleigh-Durham)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Atlanta)
Top 10 Cities For African-Americans To Live (Washington DC)

^^^This does NOT mean that these great cities are "good for blacks; bad for whites". It simply means that blacks are statistically doing well in these cities compared to other cities. So, when I see a white family wanting out of a city that made this list due to ethnic reasons (cities where blacks are doing relatively well I might add); that tells me alot.

What it says to me (and this is the nicest way I can think of putting it) is that my city and state will not work for your family. Good luck with your search. Maybe Johnson County Kansas might work for your family. I've recently read that JoCo Kansas has a long and proud history of "doing what it takes" to keep out the "undesirables". IMO, it sounds like the type of place your family would LOVE. Here's the census info on that suburban county of Kansas City (and note that KC did not make the listing above).

Johnson County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
My N$^$&%! Thanks brotha. You and I have little insignificant beefs, but you just laid down the truth. Much Props. Next time I'm Charlotte, we should hang!

Old 02-13-2012, 10:10 AM

306 posts, read 436,858 times
What I find fascinating is that people continually get baited by folks deliberately trying to stir things up on CD.

If you really want to keep someone quiet on CD, simply don't respond.

If you really didn't like what he said, it would be infinitely cooler if this would have been a single post thread.

It is painfully obvious when someone is just trying to be controversial and stir up the nest. 9 times out of 10 it is their very first post, that should be a clear sign.

Why would all of you let this thing take a life form of its own? Do you get satisfaction and sleep better at night thinking that you stopped some racist in their tracks and helped make the world a better place to live?

You didn't stop anything, you actually provided it with fuel. You just fed into the original goal of the OP, that's it.

The OP is the puppeteer and everyone who argues with him has strings attached to their arms.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:34 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,163,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post
What I find fascinating is that people continually get baited by folks deliberately trying to stir things up on CD.

If you really didn't like what he said, it would be infinitely cooler if this would have been a single post thread.

It is painfully obvious when someone is just trying to be controversial and stir up the nest. 9 times out of 10 it is their very first post, that should be a clear sign.

Why would all of you let this thing take a life form of its own? Do you get satisfaction and sleep better at night thinking that you stopped some racist in their tracks and helped make the world a better place to live?

You didn't stop anything, you actually provided it with fuel. You just fed into the original goal of the OP, that's it.

The OP is the puppeteer and everyone who argues with him has strings attached to their arms.

Thanks for posting, but I'll decide for myself to which posts I choose to respond.

Old 02-15-2012, 07:17 PM

34 posts, read 139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movedoften View Post

Good Lord... everyone needs to relax. I asked an honest question. Yes, this is my first post because I didn't have any need to read CityData before researching places to live. No, I'm not a puppeteer trying to stir up trouble. I simply wanted to know if there are any freakin' predominantly white areas in the Carolinas. If that makes me a "racist", then so be it. If you don't like my lifestyle preferences, then you don't need to read my post. If you don't like the fact that I equated White with Safe, you don't need to read my post.
If someone posted a question as to what areas of the Carolinas had a low % of whites because they thought whites drove property values down and raised crime stats, I wouldn't waste my time badrapping them, because that's their opinion, and their preference.
And what if it IS my opinion that white neighborhoods are safer? What if I DO want my kids going to primarily-white schools? Do I have the right to inquire about this?
Don't you think if I was a hard-core racist that I would have plenty of "other" places to search for the information?
To those of you who gave me an honest answer... Thank You. I appreciate your time and consideration.
But to those of you who feel it's your mission in life to police every cotton-pickin' word someone says in an effort to showcase their apparent moral flaws... Have a beer and chill out.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:05 PM

34 posts, read 139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
Spot on "arbyunc"! The OP should look for towns/cities with an even higher percentage of whites than Missouri or SC (if that's possible). Heck...maybe there is a place that exists where they NEVER have to even see someone who isn't "white". and there will be NO CRIME there either!

Thanks Mariposa! I tried the search you referenced. Unfortunately, Sweden is too far of a commute, and we don't like cold weather. However, I appreciate your advice.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:47 AM

19,447 posts, read 27,876,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariposa10 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenRoad View Post
Thanks Mariposa! I tried the search you referenced. Unfortunately, Sweden is too far of a commute, and we don't like cold weather. However, I appreciate your advice.
As a person who happily plans to become a resident of NC before the end of the year, I'll help you to search for another place to live:

List of US Cities by highest percentage of white population - LocalDatabase.com

Good luck.

Last edited by Jkgourmet; 02-17-2012 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: to add the word HAPPILY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina