Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 3,120 times

Advertisements

Recently got married to a wonderful man that lives in Rocky Mount, NC. My son (14)and i are relocating to the south. I am fearful after reading some of these post about the high crime rate, unemployment and poor schools. My husband is not originally from the area but has been there for 3 yrs but he knows nothing of the area. I want to make sure that the area we choose to live in is safe. Right now my husband is talking about moving to some townhomes on "hurt drive" called Hampton Village. Is this a good area? Also i am an LPN and will be seeking employment, are there jobs there for nurses? Your comments are greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2012, 06:31 AM

116 posts, read 339,644 times
I am so sorry, Rocky Mount s probably one of the worst places in eastern NC to live. If he is there for work, I suggest maybe living in Wilson or Greenville and commuting to RM. Schools and crime suck in RM

Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,200,634 times
Nah it's pretty bad but definitely not the worst. Havelock, Goldsboro, Jacksonville- easily worse places.

eta: though the dead hooker dumping thing from a couple years back does put Rocky Mount into contention.

Body found in Edgecombe County is fifth in four years :: WRAL.com
Residents in N.C. city on edge as 9 women vanish - USATODAY.com

Last edited by box_of_zip_disks; 04-08-2012 at 09:16 AM..

Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,200,634 times
Also Northern Nash is the first high school I remember that had an on-campus daycare for students back in the early 90s. Pretty progressive to be quite honest, though to be fair they serve the "good" side of town.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 6,163 times
I would not go near Rocky Mount with a 10 foot pole, but unfortunately I have to go there for work every once in awhile. I travel to preschools and the last one I was at was in a church- I was told by the director to not leave anything I valued in my car and to lock the door behind me every time I went into the church. If that doesn't say something for the area I don't know what does. If he doesn't have to live in RM I would say move the 60 miles to Raleigh... Greenville isn't so bad either. I have to go to RM twice this week and I am terrified. I am not sure how your husband doesn't know much about it- everything seems to be in a state of decay and you hear about "crack dens" all the time. For yourself and your son I would NOT go anywhere near RM- I think you would be sorry. Raleigh, Greenville, Chapel Hill, Duke and Cary all have great hospitals- I wouldn't think it would be too difficult to find a job. Good luck!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:40 AM

116 posts, read 339,644 times
box of zips, gotta say goldsboro and jacksonville are not so bad. honestly the only "cities" in eastern NC I would consider living in are Wilmington, Morehead City, Swansboro/Jacksonville area, Greenville Goldsboro and maybe Wilson. Outer Banks Dare county is nice also but expensive. Born here, grew up moved away moved back now looking to get away again! but the above towns/citis are not so bad. Goldsboro and jAcksonviile are military towns so they are a little more diverse but have all that is associated with a military town to go along.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,746 times
Rightly or wrongly, RM does have a bad reputation. If you want to commute, it is not a bad commute from Raleigh which is spreading east pretty rapidly. If commuting is not for you, look at the smaller surrounding towns like Nashville (easy commute to Raleigh for concerts, etc.) or even Greenville. Greenville has a much better hospital. Don't know about their schools. The apartments are in both Nashville and Rocky Mount. Either one will be good location wise and it will give you a chance to really explore the area. Good luck.

Old 04-16-2012, 12:19 PM

917 posts, read 2,301,584 times
Yes, Rocky Mount has gotten really bad considering it's not that big. We left 9 years ago. Some of my kids went to Northern Nash which was pretty good until they started busing in kids from the "Cokey Rd" section in Edgecome Co. We called it Cocaine Road. I hear from folks that still live there that it's unsafe to go to the mall or the Walmart. If you MUST go, a nice place is Red Oak. Just west of Rky Mount near Nashville.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:08 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,274,461 times
A good thing about Rocky Mount, is there are two big roads to quickly get to other places. Having 95 and US64 right there allow you to move further away and still be fairly close, time wise.

Old 05-03-2012, 12:36 PM

63 posts, read 203,603 times
Wow, don't let the negative people scare you. I have lived in Rocky Mount for 7 years and love it. Are those that speak ill of Rocky Mount residents too? Hurt drive is off of Winstead road. There is a large apartment complex back there. Lots of good hard working residents live there. The apartments are a bit older and don't have the great landscaping like some other places in town. You have to make a right turn out of hurt drive because Winstead is being widened into a high speed divided highway called the Northern Connector. It will only add a minute to your commute because DOT did a great job with built in turn around. I live further north off goldrock road in a subdivision. This area is the commercial district and has the big retailers. Winstead road has most of the hospital facilities and hotels. Btw, Greenville traffic is worse than raleigh and Wilson has a lot of urban decay. Rocky Mount has great commute times and our downtown is really looking amazing! We are restoring dozens of historical buildings and have the imperial science museum and historical train station within walking distance. Sorry if grammar is bad, I wrote this on my phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina