Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2012, 10:14 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_s View Post
In MD anyone who opposed him was thrown in jail do not pass go do not collect $200. No trial. Plus there was alot of yankee muscle to push whatever was needed or else. I doubt the state being pro Breckenridge in 1860 magically changed the true feelings after nearly 4 years of martial law and civil rights being non existent in the state.
TY. This isn't the place to delve into that, so I won't, but not for lack of interest.

Take a drive up to Woodstown sometime & enjoy the accent. There used to be a video, but I can't find it any more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 06:12 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
The "southern" accent is changing. You will notice that people under 30 born and raised in Raleigh, Charlotte, G-Boro, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville even, do not have classic "Southern" accents. This isn't just a Southern thing, but a national thing. The classic New York City accent is also disappearing in younger people.

Southern accent in danger? - Education - NewsObserver.com

But do you really want to pick where you live based on something as silly as an accent?

Old 04-27-2012, 07:20 AM

3,670 posts, read 7,164,704 times
my boyfriend is from johnston county and his is still going strong....very strong lol

Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,707 times
It's still strong in my area in eastern NC. People comment on my accent at work all the time.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:07 AM

164 posts, read 357,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

But do you really want to pick where you live based on something as silly as an accent?

Although, he does keep saying things like the Yankees are invading "OUR state". Still fighting the war, don't ya know

Old 04-27-2012, 01:39 PM

106 posts, read 318,352 times
I'm an NC native and have lived here 35+ years. I don't really have an accent. More than once, it has been suggested I'm a Yankee.

Old 04-27-2012, 01:58 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,900,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Recip View Post
I'm an NC native and have lived here 35+ years. I don't really have an accent. More than once, it has been suggested I'm a Yankee.

Reminds me of the fact that I never considered myself having an accent, though my cadence and verbage was typical of NC. In fact, when I would visit my extended family in Alabama my cousins would say I spoke "propah", but when I lived in N.VA peopel often commented on my "southern accent"

While we are talking about accents remember that NC does have several different ones.

Old 04-27-2012, 04:26 PM

386 posts, read 655,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
The "southern" accent is changing. You will notice that people under 30 born and raised in Raleigh, Charlotte, G-Boro, Chapel Hill, Fayetteville even, do not have classic "Southern" accents. This isn't just a Southern thing, but a national thing. The classic New York City accent is also disappearing in younger people.

Southern accent in danger? - Education - NewsObserver.com

Yeah there is an article about this. My buddies dad speaks old SAE while him and I speak new SAE. Has alot to do with rhotic and non rhotic speaking. The rhotic way of speaking is the one that is sadly dying, but is also the oldest form of SAE that dates back to the colonial days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
Reminds me of the fact that I never considered myself having an accent, though my cadence and verbage was typical of NC. In fact, when I would visit my extended family in Alabama my cousins would say I spoke "propah", but when I lived in N.VA peopel often commented on my "southern accent"

While we are talking about accents remember that NC does have several different ones.
All of the coastal southern states have 3 or more SAE dialects. I can say with certainty that SC, NC, VA and MD contain Coastal souther dialect, Virginia piedmont, and southern appalachia. I cant say much about georgia other then they have a few as well and one is florida cracker.

Old 04-28-2012, 07:00 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
As a Northerner living in NC for two years I hear Southern accents all the time. But when I venture over the border into SC (over yonder for your Southerners) there are people there that I have no frigging idea what they are saying.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:10 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentatonic View Post
It's still strong in my area in eastern NC.
Agree 200%.

I am 59, born and raised in NC. Moved to SC 4 years ago. I had a telephone conversation this week with an past acquaintance from Farmville. Her eastern NC accent was so thick it almost sounded like someone doing a parody.

Funny story - When I was in college, I did an internship in rural Michigan, instructor in therapeutic riding. While teaching lessons, I had to stand in the middle of a large riding arena and call out instructions to the riders and their helpers. I was told that I really had to work on my enunciation and projection because of my southern accent. Until then, I had never thought I had a southern accent. It made me self-aware for the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina