Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 12,601 times

Advertisements

A dog trainer said that to my wife and I that owning a dog with wolf in it is possibly illegal in fayetteville. We live in Raeford, and we heard they are really good dogs but we also heard they are big fines if caught with one can anyone help??!?!

Old 09-18-2007, 05:41 AM

119 posts, read 546,133 times
you might be ok, NCDA&CS Veterinary Division they say (The list doesn't have wolves on it)
"C. Any species or hybrid of a mammal (not already mentioned) which exists or naturally occurs in the wild must be accompanied by a valid certificate of veterinary inspection issued within 30 days of entry.
A separate permit for native species may be needed from the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission (919) 661-4872, for native species."

You should give them a call or NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. David Marshall, DVM, State Veterinarian, (919) 733-7601

It's better to have "official" info

Old 09-23-2007, 04:46 AM

1,160 posts, read 4,245,036 times
The wolf part of the hybrid requires a range of at least 50 MILES. If you keep him in a typical human environment, the poor thing will go insane, his pitiful cries will go unanswered, and his fear will be obvious. Ever see a chained dog on TV? That utter ruin of a living creature is what you'll end up with. I don't care what percentage you put on the animal, you will not end up with dog. You will have a wolf.

Wolves are intelligent, complex, full of pride and completely wild. They will never be yours. They will never follow your commands. They will not be dominated by a human. They will do as they choose. You can't house train him and he'll rip your house apart. You will become his number one enemy and there's no way of knowing when that time will become a frightening reality, which is why 40 states restrict or ban the wolf dog hybrid.

If you love the idea of wolves, then donate your money to organizations that are trying to repopulate them into the wild. Also donate to wolf dog rescue organizations, because that's where they all end up. If you want a dog, adopt him from the shelter. He will be grateful forever. But the soul of the wolf hybrid dog will be destroyed. The Humane Society of the U.S. can give you more information.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:17 AM

1 posts, read 12,475 times
Default wolf help

we had a 65%timber- 35% shepard hybrid. we had bubba since he was 5 weeks. i did tons of research prior to adding him to my home life. i had 2 other shepards for him to grow up with. but... i had to train him differently. i had to be the alfa. if he showed any signs of agression i had to bite him, growl, stand over him or wrestle him to the floor. feed & water, i had to take bowls away while he was eating and give it back, constant good boys when he behaved. he never tore my home apart, he never stalked, i trained him to fetch, sit, shake, heel, bark on command, stay, laydown, then trained him with hand signals. he was huge 157 lbs, stunning to look at. if ever i was upset- he knew... and he would comfort me by putting his head near my head, almost like a hug. very protective of my home, folks were afraid, but if i welcomed them , he did too. his gut feelings of people were right on. after awhile i did not tell folks he was wolf, because they immediatly judged him and feared him, he picked up on that bigtime. had a worker who was scared of big dogs in general. bubba knew this and tormented him, growled, chased him. watched and waited for him. he did chase squirrels, chased after racoons alot, killed a groundhog living under my deck. hated bees and flies. (like alot of dogs) when my child was born everyone said to get rid of him- cuz he'd attack my child. i researched this also. i knew my dog, trusted him with my life. coming home from the hospital- i came in first, greeted him, loved on him, then gave him a blanket & clothes my newborn was close to. let him sniff. then... introduced my daughter to him. he licked her face and clothes. he let that child do anything to him, tug ears, tail, twisted lips, yanked hair, barretts, hair ties, dress up, paint, lay on him, you name it. he did not like when she came close to his food. he growled only. animals are only as smart, well trained as their owners allow them to be. he was one of the best dogs i ever had. my daughters best friend, she was devasted when he passed away. i got him in texas, moved to michigan, i was afraid of the rules, he had to be caged. i refused to do it. at the vets office i listed him as shepard mix, i did not lie, but ommitted wolf. the vet knew. bubba growled when he came near to give him a shot, he ordered a muzzle, took 2 techs to try to put it on. bubba in a corner was not good. i stopped everything, the men just looked at me. i said let me talk to my dog, i put my head on his sholuder as he did to me when i was upset, i whispered to him it was okay. signaled the vet it was okay, he gave him the shot and bubba cried like a baby. came & hid behind me. vet said he never saw anything like it. he had treats waiting for bubba on every visit. he got out from the yard one day, i was away. folks reported a wolf, dog catcher came, she had the lasso and batton ready, bubba held ground, showed his teeth, ears back, it was a stand off. she dropped everything, crouched down , said come on boy! held her arms out, bubba came a running, knocked her over, stood on her and licked her face. she put him in my yard, locked the fence and waited for me. recounted the story. she said she knew from looking him in the eye he was a good dog. i worked hard to train my best friend. more than any dog i ever had. i was rewarded with his love and loyalty. i knew folks who had hybrids, and failed. their failure, not the hybrids. do research, observe the animals parents, and most of all the animals trainers. go to several breeders of hybrids. you may not have to choose, perhaps the animal will choose you. be perpared to bite, growl, take down, play to win, praise your new family member. each person in your family will have to be trained to dominate, your hybrid is last in pecking order. as should be with any animal. be prepared to spend alot of time, intoducing the hybrid to all situations, people, outings. i took bubba everywhere he was allowed to. my hybrid could detect wounded, mentally & physically impaired, people on drugs and handicapped children. that was the wolf coming out. his mind and body was ready. my acceptance was crucial. if i was calm, he got calm. had he been loose- could be a different story and a lawsuit. could be with any dog. research, know the law, prepare yourself with time and knowledge, be totally committed. if you cant handle it later, drop off at a shelter is a death sentence. ask yourself if you can offer this much dedication with your hybrid or any dog for that matter. i talked to my dog, was very calm, gentle with him after biting, growls etc... was done. i respected what he was. if you trained dogs in the past and succeeded, take all that and apply what you learn about wolves. after bubba passed, my daughter wanted a chihuahua! go figure! still i trained her, like i did bubba. we love her, in all honesty, i would have loved to get another hybrid- i was afraid i would compare the new hybrid to bubba's character. getting used to not steppin on a taco bell dog is a whole new thing! dang she's tiny. cant hug her like a big dog, she'd break. best wishes to you finding a new family member.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:56 AM

1,422 posts, read 3,441,287 times
Default hybrids

why would anybody want to own a hybrid? I think it does more harm than good. they will always have that wild instinct about them. i would never trust that animal with any other animal. i love wolves i think they are the most beautiful animal on the planet along with being intelligent. but i would never entertain the thought of owning one. had many chances. my sister had 2 a 95% mexican and 5 sheppard and trianed him like the other poster on here did. but could not keep him in the fence yard. 1 acre of land she lived on with a 12 foot cement wall around propery. he scaled it got out and killed chickens and goats. she did everything she was supposed to do and the poor thing had to be put to sleep. its only a matter of time.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:21 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
gorgeousrunaway, you have gotten some very good advice here which should lead you to the conclusion that getting a hybrid is a bad idea. Sheeniewoman invested an extraordinary amount of time and effort and had a uniquely good experience but that is by far an exception rather than the rule. Hybrids are inherently wild animals and have no business in domestic environments. There are so many wonderful needy DOGS that need homes and would easily fit into your home so please, listen to the advice here and take a pass on a wild animal who just doesn't belong in a domestic situation.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:40 PM

1 posts, read 12,438 times
Default Your dog trainer is mistaken

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgeousrunaway View Post
A dog trainer said that to my wife and I that owning a dog with wolf in it is possibly illegal in fayetteville. We live in Raeford, and we heard they are really good dogs but we also heard they are big fines if caught with one can anyone help??!?!
Wolf Hybrids are not regulated in N.C. except for Forsyth County, which has banned ownership of wolves or wolf hybrids. Cumberland and Hoke counties are legal. Wolf Hybrid Breeders File

They can be wonderful companion animals when responsibly owned.

Click here to see what responsible Wolfdog ownership looks like
http://www.greybook.org/RWolfdogOwnershipPP.pdf (broken link)

A wonderful and educational presentation on Wolfdogs
http://www.wolfechovalley.com/id65.html (broken link) PAWS4THOUGHT

Old 10-27-2007, 09:11 PM

402 posts, read 2,210,936 times
Another big problem is that as part wolf, if it bites someone, the rabies vaccine is null and void (because it is not labeled for use in wolves...)

Old 02-19-2010, 10:23 AM

1 posts, read 10,112 times
Default wow

wow gigimac its a good thing you know so much about wolf dogs. you really sound like you did your research, except for the part where you said everything you just said. congratulations, you win a cookie spanky.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:22 AM

12 posts, read 40,639 times
My step-father had a dog that was part wolf and he was the best dog I've ever seen. Lived to be almost 18 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina