Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 06:06 PM

40 posts, read 177,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Mooresboro, this does not even make sense.

The posters who called you out were natives. I did not call you a bigot, but you called me a bigot. Natives voted on both sides of the amendment & so did transplants.

You have a posting history of a problem with transplants. Why? How many transplants live in Mooresboro?

I like Shelby, but go to Gastonia more, as do most of the natives in Kings Mountain. Shelby has a bad reputation with transplants & it's not because of the residents, but most do not realize that. I've even heard comments to that effect from natives of Kings Mountain. I told why & you deny it. I'm not the one who started a thread trying to declare Shelby, &, in fact, all of Cleveland County as the biggest bunch of rednecks around. You did that, in an attempt to scare away transplants. Did you think that that would help bring in jobs? //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tte-metro.html You even tried to deny any connection to Charlotte. //www.city-data.com/forum/charl...tte-metro.html

You voted for an amendment that denies legal recognition to all relationships except married heterosexuals. That includes heterosexuals, not just homosexuals. You said that you wouldn't mind civil unions, but you voted against that. How is it my fault that you voted against your own stated views?
First of all, you're taking threads that i posted 6 months ago out of proportion, if anyone actually read those threads you can obviously tell that i wasn't attempting to scare off transplants and that i was just posting out of my curiosity.

Secondly, you're acting as if there is something wrong with being a redneck. Rednecks work harder everyday then you have your whole life, not all rednecks are trashy and racist neither, most of them are nice people.

I don't mind civil unions, but i voted against the amendment because of the whole fact of gay marriage, if that amendment would have been rejected then the idea of making gay marriage legal in NC would come shortly after.

Also i couldn't care less about if you go to gastonia over shelby, its not going to make or break shelby.

Also another fun fact, the unemployment rate in cleveland county is lower then it has been in the past 4 years, it dropped to 9.8%.

Old 06-04-2012, 06:19 PM

351 posts, read 632,438 times
I'm a redneck, too. But I guarantee you my income is greater than the vast majority of people here on city-data; especially those who hang around these Amendment One threads.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:41 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,666,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooresboro View Post
First of all, you're taking threads that i posted 6 months ago out of proportion, if anyone actually read those threads you can obviously tell that i wasn't attempting to scare off transplants and that i was just posting out of my curiosity.

Secondly, you're acting as if there is something wrong with being a redneck. Rednecks work harder everyday then you have your whole life, not all rednecks are trashy and racist neither, most of them are nice people.

I don't mind civil unions, but i voted against the amendment because of the whole fact of gay marriage, if that amendment would have been rejected then the idea of making gay marriage legal in NC would come shortly after.

Also i couldn't care less about if you go to gastonia over shelby, its not going to make or break shelby.

Also another fun fact, the unemployment rate in cleveland county is lower then it has been in the past 4 years, it dropped to 9.8%.
You got ugly to me & I could have gotten ugly back. I didn't. I did toss your own words back to you.

I'm a midwesterner & my mother's maiden name was Scotch Irish. Growing up, my cousins & I joked that we were a bunch of rednecks. I grew up knowing what rednecks really are & it isn't the modern, tacky, clownish version, but you know that that's what a lot of transplants think. You don't know me. I've worked very hard in jobs that were traditionally men's jobs & did my share, held my own & took my lumps for it. You made a very wrong assumption.

For the last time, no one was pushing gay marriage. The Republicans threw you red meat & you grabbed it. Oh, yeah, & I voted for some of those Republicans, but won't vote for them next time, because of this.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:21 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,521,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
I'm a redneck, too. But I guarantee you my income is greater than the vast majority of people here on city-data; especially those who hang around these Amendment One threads.
You of course are talking about those that voted to support the ignorance and bigotry of back wood bible stupidity when you say that.

Sadly educated think people are the minority and the majority has had their say, for the moment.

Perhaps you make more that I did, (I retired at 55), or you're just a blow hard braggart, I don't know, but I don't have to wake up every morning with a head full of hate and willful ignorance based on fairy tales about what my imaginary friend hates or likes.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-06-2012 at 07:31 PM..

Old 06-06-2012, 11:22 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Complete hogwash. Gay marriage was ALREADY illegal by law, and the legislature as it stands would obviously not change that law. Ironically, you say you support civil unions, but in fact, the only thing the amendment actually CHANGED was that now any possibility of civil unions is forever blocked. Your statement that "that amendment would have been rejected then the idea of making gay marriage legal in NC would come shortly after" is completely unfounded; NC has a conservative judiciary and all of the fearmongering by Tami Fitzgerald's group claiming one judge could overturn the law is ridiculous. The only thing that would have happened if the Amendment had been voted down is---the laws would stay exactly as the were a month ago (including the fact that marraige is defined as man + woman).

Don't try to backpedal over the fact that you didn't fully research exactly what this amendment was about before you voted for it. Numerous conservatives spoke out against it, even those who themselves do not believe in same-sex marriage, specifically because it represents a government overreach and curtailment of personal freedoms (i.e. the freedom to form civil unions if the municipality allows them). You clearly believe in a Big Brother government that meddles in people's private relatinships and that the word of the government should trump personal freedoms, and that is how you voted.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Sadly educated think people....
Huh?

Old 06-06-2012, 03:24 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,969,837 times
Put your foot down against people who are making North Carolina a better place to live...?

By the way, your young population will bring gay marriage to NC whether you like equality or not. I have two NC-native cousins near Charlotte who support it, and a friend of mine from NC who is going to App. State for college supports.

The Netherlands has had gay marriage for over 10 years and they haven't fallen into the ocean yet.

Old 06-06-2012, 04:31 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest T Bass View Post
So?

Old 06-06-2012, 04:40 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,148,184 times
Quote:
I don't mind civil unions, but i voted against the amendment because of the whole fact of gay marriage, if that amendment would have been rejected then the idea of making gay marriage legal in NC would come shortly after..
This is what the anti-gay forces were hoping for.....that you would be more afraid of two gay people getting married that you would also toss the baby out with the bath water and ALSO voting to make civil unions unconstitutional. This was not by accident and the main reason why this amendment cannot be seen as anything but purposely mean spirited.

The irony here is that the Republicans have raised an issue and started the dialogue on something that they had hoped would go away on May 8th. The conversation can only hurt their position given that visibility and public discourse is typically a mechanism for bringing about change in any contentious issue.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
So?
Maybe we rednecks aren't as dumb as some want to make us out to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina