Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 02:15 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,020,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
In the first place, not a single one of my ancestors ever owned a slave, but still they fought to protect the rights of their states. .... to own slaves and to extend slavery into the western territories
There. I finished your sentence for you. I have relatives who fought on the Confederate side, too. But it is a shameful part of the family history. Nothing to be proud of.

I don't fault any poor white folks for joining the Confederates to get some coin and a decent meal, but to act like it was somehow noble and the subsequent history of the KKK, Red Shirts, lynchings and beatings, doesn't really matter, just isn't realistic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 02:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
There. I finished your sentence for you. I have relatives who fought on the Confederate side, too. But it is a shameful part of the family history. Nothing to be proud of.

I don't fault any poor white folks for joining the Confederates to get some coin and a decent meal, but to act like it was somehow noble and the subsequent history of the KKK, Red Shirts, lynchings and beatings, doesn't really matter, just isn't realistic.
I am sad for you that you are ashamed of your family heritage.

Oh, and my sentence WAS finished - don't presume to speak for me

Again, you just don't "get it", and that's okay. I don't get you either.

Difference is, I actually respect your right to think whatever you want to think, even when I don't agree with your thoughts.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasershen111 View Post
Honestly in my personal opinion... I would agree that it's okay for people who wanted to display that flag to do so how they wish. Because there were many men and women in Nazi Germany who once they understood what Hitler was doing... despised it and wanted to, and often times tried to stop it.
Sure. And that's why swastikas and Nazi paraphernalia are illegal in Germany today. I'm not saying we should go that far, but people shouldn't casually fly the Confederate flag.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:24 PM

202 posts, read 350,463 times
Quote:
Sure. And that's why swastikas and Nazi paraphernalia are illegal in Germany today. I'm not saying we should go that far, but people shouldn't casually fly the Confederate flag.
So what do you propose happens to those "casually" flying the flag?

Old 06-06-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
I am sad for you that you are ashamed of your family heritage.

Oh, and my sentence WAS finished - don't presume to speak for me

Again, you just don't "get it", and that's okay. I don't get you either.

Difference is, I actually respect your right to think whatever you want to think, even when I don't agree with your thoughts.
There is a difference between facts and thoughts. I wasn't presuming to speak for you, just adding the pertinent information you have left out.

I will agree that you have a right to draw whatever thoughts you want from the same set of facts. It's the willful omission of facts and the leaps of logic that bother me from the folks who defend the Confederate flag.

And I am proud of my family heritage. But this particular chapter was a dark and disappointing part of it for one side.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
So what do you propose happens to those "casually" flying the flag?
I think they should be ostracized as they most often are now.

It's just inflammatory - akin to wearing a shirt with a curse word on it. Certainly shouldn't be allowed in the schools or in court.

I guess there's no other way to control it except treating the people that fly it like the people with face tattoos or shirts with curse words on it -- give them a wide berth.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:37 PM

202 posts, read 350,463 times
Quote:
I think they should be ostracized as they most often are now.

It's just inflammatory - akin to wearing a shirt with a curse word on it. Certainly shouldn't be allowed in the schools or in court.

I guess there's no other way to control it except treating the people that fly it like the people with face tattoos or shirts with curse words on it -- give them a wide berth.
Thanks goodness all of my friends are much more open-minded than you. Granted, I don't have Confederate tattoos or car stickers, but I've never been ostracized or treated poorly. I do guarantee you that my neighbors would make a fuss if I flew a flag with a cuss word on it. Your comparisons of the flag to a cuss word t-shirt is poor and flawed.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:42 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,707,267 times
Quote:
There is a difference between facts and thoughts. I wasn't presuming to speak for you, just adding the pertinent information you have left out.

I will agree that you have a right to draw whatever thoughts you want from the same set of facts. It's the willful omission of facts and the leaps of logic that bother me from the folks who defend the Confederate flag.

And I am proud of my family heritage. But this particular chapter was a dark and disappointing part of it for one side.
Sadly, and I've seen it coming for a while now, there is just no talking with you anymore

You are the one "drawing whatever thoughts you want from the same set of facts".

But you know what? I would defend to the death your right as an American to do that.

Would that you could offer others here the same respect and courtesy.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
Thanks goodness all of my friends are much more open-minded than you. Granted, I don't have tattoos or car stickers, but I've never been ostracized or treated poorly. I do guarantee you that my neighbors would make a fuss if I flew a flag with a cuss word on it. Your comparisons of the flag to a cuss word t-shirt is poor and flawed.
I would avoid a neighbor with a Confederate flag as much as possible. It just shows poor judgment and a confrontational attitude to fly such a thing. In that regard, it is very similar to a curse word shirt.

Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Sadly, and I've seen it coming for a while now, there is just no talking with you anymore

You are the one "drawing whatever thoughts you want from the same set of facts".

But you know what? I would defend to the death your right as an American to do that.

Would that you could offer others here the same respect and courtesy.
It's your right to be wrong.

My disagreement does not necessarily equal disrespect in all aspects. But I can't and won't respect the flying of the Confederate flag in anything other than a historical context. I accept that it exists, but I don't have to respect it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina