Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 03:16 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

Most southerners feel the same way Sunny.

It is sad and incorrect for others to insist this flag represents racism.
If this is so (and I promise that I ask this in all sincerity ), then why do so few people fly the flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 04:19 PM

441 posts, read 1,487,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
If this is so (and I promise that I ask this in all sincerity ), then why do so few people fly the flag?
Because some people are just plain tired of the Politically Correct Mofia.

Old 06-07-2012, 04:47 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,395,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post

Goodness. Those "some people" think so highly of their opinions/beliefs they feel the need to parade it around. I'm thinking more of the people with the little stick figure families on their cars (The ones I hate the most for the fact that I don't care if you have a dog and 2 kids).

I hate "in your face" car stickers/plates/etc, Whether gay, Christian, or stick family "in your face" type of junk it is.

You voted for Obama. Good. You have a cat and 2 kids who play soccer. Good. Your Kid is TERRRRIFIC. Good. "He" Died For us. Good. You're a redneck. Ok. You like John Deer. good for you. No one cares.

So what I'm gathering from you is that this is mostly an attention seeking action. And the principle addressed it. If people have the Freedom/Right to do whatever they want, Can I kill whoever I want? ... (I know these types of arguments are the only kinds that these people generally understand. the Slippery slope argument). If a rebel flag can be flown, why not a Nazi flag? (I don't honestly believe that. I'm smarter than to use hypothetical, irrational arguments)

I have no problem with rebel flags because I don't care what people do or hate. Just keep it to yourself. And I don't really view the flag as a racist thing more or less a trend. If someone flies a rebel flag in their yard, then why care? Unless you live in a upper crust neighborhood in which case I'd be annoyed to.

Old 06-07-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdub1968 View Post
I moved here from Michigan three years ago and love the South, and love the flag. I guess I'm just a Southerner at heart. But I'm one of the minorities that adapt to your culture and don't expect you to change it on my account.

My friends dad keeps asking me to come ice fishing with him up in Michigan. I'm trying to get him to put together a July trip

Old 06-08-2012, 07:19 AM

460 posts, read 1,017,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Goodness. Those "some people" think so highly of their opinions/beliefs they feel the need to parade it around. I'm thinking more of the people with the little stick figure families on their cars (The ones I hate the most for the fact that I don't care if you have a dog and 2 kids).

I hate "in your face" car stickers/plates/etc, Whether gay, Christian, or stick family "in your face" type of junk it is.

You voted for Obama. Good. You have a cat and 2 kids who play soccer. Good. Your Kid is TERRRRIFIC. Good. "He" Died For us. Good. You're a redneck. Ok. You like John Deer. good for you. No one cares.

So what I'm gathering from you is that this is mostly an attention seeking action. And the principle addressed it. If people have the Freedom/Right to do whatever they want, Can I kill whoever I want? ... (I know these types of arguments are the only kinds that these people generally understand. the Slippery slope argument). If a rebel flag can be flown, why not a Nazi flag? (I don't honestly believe that. I'm smarter than to use hypothetical, irrational arguments)

I have no problem with rebel flags because I don't care what people do or hate. Just keep it to yourself. And I don't really view the flag as a racist thing more or less a trend. If someone flies a rebel flag in their yard, then why care? Unless you live in a upper crust neighborhood in which case I'd be annoyed to.
No offense.. but can't that go both ways? If YOU don't care... than don't make a big deal of it? Ignore the stickers... and flags, and whatever other paraphernalia other people want to show. Clearly there are different kinds of people with different personalities.... so you are getting mad at the people with the type of personality that happens to be different from yours.

I would agree... you have this and that sticker on your car... whoop de do.... I don't care generally. And I ignore it generally since 99.9% of the time it DOESN'T affect me AT ALL.

You say "Keep it to yourself"... well that really doesn't seem fair at all to me. Because then why do you not have to keep your opinion to yourself... but they have to keep theirs? It's just a joke... and a circle... that plays in this country over and over again.

How about everyone mind their OWN dang business... and unless you are being harmed by someone... and/or because of their "opinion"..... keep it to yourself.... or just simply ignore it.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:17 AM
NDL

Quote:
Thanks for the reply .

I hope this doesn't come across as being condescending (it isn't ), but do people realize that there's no way to satiate or appease the Politically Correct Mafia? You either stand up to it, or get run over.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,750 times
Quote:
Thanks for the reply .

I hope this doesn't come across as being condescending (it isn't ), but do people realize that there's no way to satiate or appease the Politically Correct Mafia? You either stand up to it, or get run over.
Politically correct mafia? Wow.

People who want to do the decent thing and not shove a hateful symbol down a marginalized group's throat are a "politically correct mafia."

That flag is and was the symbol of several vicious mafias that inflicted real damage on generations of Southerners.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM
NDL

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

People who want to do the decent thing and not shove a hateful symbol down a marginalized group's throat are a "politically correct mafia."
When I look at something, I look not only at the action, but also the motive behind the action.

I am not going to pretend to have even half of the historical knowledge that so many on this forum do - thus won't I even attempt to 'compete' in debating the historical context of the Stars & Bars flag.

If someone chooses not to fly the flag, because of a sense of personal conviction, respect, and thoughtfulness for other persons, surely I wouldn't attach the "Politically Correct Mafia" label to such people.

I reserve the "PCM" label to those fascistic elements that can be found on both the left and the right, who seek to mandate thoughts they deem "appropriate," while intimidating and running roughshod over those whose thoughts they don't approve of.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post

That flag is and was the symbol of several vicious mafias that inflicted real damage on generations of Southerners.
NO!,...the flag was a symbol representing a group of men that were protecting their land, their families and their way of life. They were not a Mofia, but heros to the south, as are the soldiers who fight for our freedoms today. If you are truly the history buff that you seem to portray, you need to be more objective to the facts and actual history. You seem to be quite narrow minded and argumentative, and nothing is going to change your mind.

Quote:
When I look at something, I look not only at the action, but also the motive behind the action.

I am not going to pretend to have even half of the historical knowledge that so many on this forum do - thus won't I even attempt to 'compete' in debating the historical context of the Stars & Bars flag.

If someone chooses not to fly the flag, because of a sense of personal conviction, respect, and thoughtfulness for other persons, surely I wouldn't attach the "Politically Correct Mafia" label to such people.

I reserve the "PCM" label to those fascistic elements that can be found on both the left and the right, who seek to mandate thoughts they deem "appropriate," while intimidating and running roughshod over those whose thoughts they don't approve of.
Very well said, and my thoughts exactly.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:16 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
NO!,...the flag was a symbol representing a group of men that were protecting their land, their families and their way of life. They were not a Mofia, but heros to the south, as are the soldiers who fight for our freedoms today. If you are truly the history buff that you seem to portray, you need to be more objective to the facts and actual history. You seem to be quite narrow minded and argumentative, and nothing is going to change your mind.
Holy cow! Surely you aren't naive enough to think a flag can have only one meaning? NCproud, I don't know how old you are, but for me, here's the thing:

I remember, not too long ago (late 1960's), when the black people in my small southern town had to sit in the balcony of the one movie theater they were allowed to attend (the other one didn't allow blacks at all). I remember several service stations with 3 bathrooms--men's, ladies', and guess who the 3rd one was for? I remember restaurants refusing to serve black people. I remember distinct segregation in the schools, the churches, the businesses, and everywhere else. It's not ancient history, and there's still lots of racism today, even though much of it is less visible. No matter what else the rebel flag may represent, it represents these things to me, and surely to the people who have suffered from discrimination. So it's an easy choice for me to show some respect, and not feel like I have to wave this flag to celebrate my heritage. Admit it or not, this heritage you wish to honor includes institutionalized racism and many horrific events that simply cannot be separated from the symbol used by many who committed these acts.

That's why I choose not to wave this flag. As I've said several times before, it's your right to do so if you wish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina