Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:37 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,992,985 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Well, maybe some would be starving in Africa, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't think that in any way justifies the treatment blacks have had to endure, do you? Or are you saying they should be grateful for the lynchings and discrimination because white people saved them from having to stay in their homeland? (I really don't think you mean to say that, but it sure sounds like it.)
Africa is a pretty dismal place. Millions have been killed,or starved to death.
No, I don't think it justifies anything. I am asking if you have ever considered the benefits you have received for what your ancestors have gone through. An pro athlete here would never have the options they do if one of their ancestors were brought to the US on a slave ship.

White people didn't save them, some of the people that rounded them up and sold them to the slave masters were also black.

Edit- Sorry Sunny, I was composing this during your last post. I will refrain from this topic going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2012, 09:41 AM

460 posts, read 1,018,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
larshen, I see what you're getting at, but until you walk in someone else's shoes you can't really understand their position. All I'm trying to say here is that, for me, the fact that (some) black people are offended by the rebel flag-waving is enough for me. I don't feel the need to question their motives--I know they have good reason for feeling that way because I've seen first-hand what many of them have had to endure over the years. It's not for me to decide what offends them.
I got ya.

I suppose in this circumstance the schools have their rights too, and are attempting to keep the peace, and don't want any chances of larger issues. But I definitely think there was probably a more appropriate way of going about it. Maybe sending a detailed letter to the student and his parents explaining their reasoning... and requesting those items aren't shown on school property.

I think it definitely gets to a sticky line on the whole freedom of speech thing... I feel like a public school is public property... and then we get into the whole well Christians can't express their faith through things on their car or clothing items, or other religions... et al. There is a slippery slope on all accounts... seems that way for everything if some kind of ultimate decision is made on how these "rights" are defined in schools etc.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,777 times
^ Agreed, but I also know it's a difficult line to draw, especially in schools (my wife is a teacher, BTW). Sometimes they have to bend the line a bit just to be sure nothing gets out of hand.

Old 06-06-2012, 10:30 AM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tread102 View Post
OMG seriously you need to let it go. People like you hang on to the racism thing to advance your cause. Your going to be offended by a piece of cloth is just silly.
That "piece of cloth" is being waved today for reasons of "Southern Heritage" (ie, the South's past). Why would a black man of today have issues with that? How silly of me?
Quote:
There have been terrible things happen in this country's past, but its just it. Its the past.
Agreed. It is in the past and ALL relics of that past should only be seen in a museum.
Quote:
As a country we have done more than enough to make up for our past transgressions, so much so. That we now have reverse racism sanctioned by the federal government.(affirmative action?)
In all honesty, reverse racism and affirmative action are both unconstitutional. IMO, we should have calculated every penny that slaves would have earned and simply paid that money to their descendants (adjusted for inflation plus 300 years worth of interest attached). If that had been done, there would be no such thing as a United Negro College fund nor blacks living in public housing. Most importantly, affirmative action never would have been needed; for most black families would be rich.
Quote:
Instead of living in the past, wake up in the morning put your big boy pants on and look forward to the future. I've yet to meet a person that has been dealt a perfect hand in life.
It's hard to look towards the future when I see the flag of a trifling era still being proudly displayed by our youth. Maybe those who love this flag so much should wave it in the name of something that folks like me can be proud of? Why not wave it in the name of interacial dating or equal rights for homosexuals? No, folks would rather wave it in the name of "my southern heritage" (which is another way of saying that they support and respect the old ways of the South that their ancestors went down fighting to protect). Sorry, but I can't respect those reasons for supporting this "piece of cloth". Wave that bad boy in the name of support for president Obama and then things might change. You and I both know that the biggest supporters of this flag ain't about to wave it in the name of any of the aforementioned causes. However, it is being used today in the name of keeping out "illegal immigrants".
All sizes | Rebel without a Cerebrum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

^^^No ethnic group being targeted here... Some things about this flag just don't ever change. The school did the right thing. Remove your flag our your truck will be towed; nice job! I'll will be sending that school a personal thank you letter (not joking here).

Old 06-06-2012, 10:36 AM

202 posts, read 350,582 times
Unfortunately, schools have the power to ban any article of clothing they deem "inappropriate." It's sad that a part of our regional heritage can be banned from schools, but that’s 21st century America for you. Political correctness has taken over and is here to stay.

For those who equated the Confederate flag with poor, uneducated Southerners, please do your homework. I’ll assume none of you have ever been to Charleston, SC or Natchez, MS. Many educated and wealthy families have Confederate flags, not just the Battle Flag or Naval Jack, flying from their homes.

Some of you should really check out H. K. Edgerton if you want to understand more about the Confederate flag. H. K. is a black man, Sons of Confederate Veterans member, and NAACP member. Here is his website: Southern Heritage 411 - About Us

Last edited by SonofDixie; 06-06-2012 at 11:16 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 10:53 AM

202 posts, read 350,582 times
Urbancharlotte: people like you are the one's that make it so hard for us to move forward. You and I probably have totally different ancestry, yet we both have the right to remember and celebrate it. You whine because you want the Flag to be representative of something (Obama, gay pride, interracial dating, etc.) that it does not represent. What it represents is my ancestors fighting for their homeland. Now, you tell me why they fought for the Confederacy when they owned no slaves and were simply farmers and laborers. Tell me why slaves, freed blacks, and Native Americans fought for and helped the Confederacy. Please tell me since you know everything about this flag.

With that being said, I’m well aware that some folks abuse Confederate symbolism. They want to use it to represent hate and they are disgusting people. Those people anger and disgust me even more than thin-skinned folks like you.

EDIT: I've seen American flag bumper stickers regarding illegal immigration. What's wrong with that? Illegal immigration is, in fact, illegal. It should be stopped. Secondly, the bumper sticker did not target an ethnic group. Illegal immigrants come in all colors, ethnicities, and nationalities.

Last edited by SonofDixie; 06-06-2012 at 11:09 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 11:09 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
The PLO has been mainstreamed in the last 20 years, but make no mistake its a hate group.

I tell you COPED you need to open your mind and quit reading your talking points. Its very apparent on this issue how shallow your views and knowledge is.
No talking points here. Just truth. And my views are hardly shallow on this. I've been studying American history for quite some time.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:13 AM

1,259 posts, read 1,585,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
No talking points here. Just truth. And my views are hardly shallow on this. I've been studying American history for quite some time.
Very shallow and very bias. While your studying your history, look up the history of the PLO, since your such a history buff.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonofDixie View Post
What it represents is my ancestors fighting for their homeland. Now, you tell me why they fought for the Confederacy when they owned no slaves and were simply farmers and laborers.
No. They fought in an insurrection against their country. They were treasonous. Poor folks most often fight because they're drafted or because the pay was better than roughing it out on the farm.

Quote:
Tell me why slaves, freed blacks, and Native Americans fought for and helped the Confederacy. Please tell me since you know everything about this flag.
They didn't. All Opinions Are Local - The myth of the black Confederates

Quote:
With that being said, I’m well aware that some folks abuse Confederate symbolism. They want to use it to represent hate and they are disgusting people. Those people anger and disgust me even more than thin-skinned folks like you..
When you use the flag, you throw your lot in with them. You know what the flag means to most people. There are many other ways to honor your ancestors that don't include evoking hateful images.

Old 06-06-2012, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Very shallow and very bias. While your studying your history, look up the history of the PLO, since your such a history buff.
Please correct me then if you have such a deeper understanding.

The PLO is irrelevant to this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina