Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 10:23 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I know many atheists don't want their kids involved in any kind of church or synagogue because it does not align with their personal beliefs. I can understand why the OP doesn't want to "suck up the attitude, get involved with a church". It's like asking someone who's Christian to suck up the attitude and join a Mosque or the local secular humanist organization. If it's not in alignment with your beliefs it's just not a good fit. I do think it might've helped the OP to ask these questions before they moved, but cest la vie! Maybe the job was just too good to turn down and it wouldn't have mattered anyway.

I think the commute from Blowing Rock could be workable if you could find a house there at your price point. Otherwise I would get involved in some non-religious organizations/meet-ups and see if you can make a go of it in Hickory. What kind of job does your husband have in Granite Falls?
Do you have a clue on housing in Blowing Rock? Seriously? You can hardly find a small old condo in BR for under $185k. And if you are not downtown BR, you are in Caldwell Co. my friend, wh/ is no less conservative than Hickory. I can suggest 3 developments outside of Hickory that will be more liberal but these folks can't afford to live there!

I gave spot on advice as far as making sure their kids fit in with others in the Hickory area. she already made it clear that she has figured out her kids are gonna be left out since she and hubby don't attend church. And all the blather about sensibilities--you protest too much. I don't care if this couple is Wiccan, ok? I am just being frank about what it will take to FIT IN.

Here's the scoop: money talks in Hickory. They are not gonna be able to afford NW Hickory. So we have eliminated the country club set. That leaves the church set. This also means they will need to find a home in a reasonably priced neighborhood, and those are going to be in the county school district, i.e., St. Stephens, Mtn. View, etc (unless they settle in Newton Conover). Things don't get more liberal outside of Hickory. If anything, they get more conservative!

You may not like my advice but it is solid advice. The OP moved somewhere that she and her family are gonna have a hard time fitting in. Don't shoot the messenger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2012, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
Morganton, Burke County!

If you look at election results from 2008 and 2010 you will see that Burke county is more likely to vote Democrat consistantly than any other county around except for the counties that Asheville, Boone and Charlotte are in.

Morganton is home to Broughton Psychiatric Hospital and the NC School for the Deaf. Of all the towns that you listed Morganton stands out. The drive is about 30 minutes. I'm liberal and I would live there before I would live in someplace
like Mooresville, Denver or Gastonia.

County Results - Election Center 2008 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com

County Results - Election Center 2010 - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
People, I am just stunned at the ignorance on this thread. Burke Co is full of Dems, but they are NOT Liberals!!!

You cannot equate how a county votes with how LIBERAL they are on social issues. They are conservative and very old southern Baptist in Burke Co. Plus, Burke Co has more than its share of backwoods types who are known for violence and look like they walked off the set of Deliverance.

There are some neat spots in Burke Co around Mineral Springs, Valdese and right in Morganton, but as far as fitting in -- lord have mercy.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:39 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
People, I am just stunned at the ignorance on this thread. Burke Co is full of Dems, but they are NOT Liberals!!!

You cannot equate how a county votes with how LIBERAL they are on social issues. They are conservative and very old southern Baptist in Burke Co. Either that or they are backwoods and look like they walked off the set of Deliverance.

There are some neat spots in Burke Co around Mineral Springs, Valdese and right in Morganton, but as far as fitting in -- lord have mercy.
But but but Ani, Morganton is a hotbed for "Pillbillies" (I should know, I used to live in Eastern KY which is no different). A pillbilly is like a close cousin of the "left-handed cigarette" smoker....Which makes Morganton kinda liberal.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
I'm not even a liberal and I think some of these comments on this thread are ridiculous.

Folks, telling someone who is NOT a Christian that they should "suck it up and join a church" is the dumbest advice I've heard this week.

Would you tell someone who is not a Scientologist to suck it up and join Scientology? Seriously.

The problem is that there are still a lot of people here in this part of the country who think that the "default" setting for an American ought to be Christian, and not just Christian, but Protestant. Everyone else is supposed to hop on board or shut up. In most of America this sort of thinking went away in around 1928 or so, but sadly it's still alive in some pockets of the country, including right here in North Carolina.

OP, why don't you move to Charlotte? It's a nice enough city, and no one here gives a crap about any of the things you're talking about. I sleep in Sunday mornings and no one seems to care
The woman wants to fit in. I told her how.

Old 06-13-2012, 10:41 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
Ani, do you think there are areas near I-40 in Statesville that might be acceptable to them. My husband used to comute from Statesville to Hickory before we decided to move there. I was working in Statesville at the time. Statesville seems more like a small Charlotte to us, but it would need to be the right neighborhood and the neighborhood we were in has changed for the better since we left.

Ani, I went back and read your first post. I thought about saying just about the same thing except I didn't know the churches as well as you since I lived in Hickory from about January until we moved in July.

I don't remember ever finding a church in Statesville. We were only about 40 miles from our parents and would visit them and have dinner on Sundays.

Last edited by NCN; 06-13-2012 at 10:55 PM..

Old 06-13-2012, 10:58 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG721 View Post
Folks, telling someone who is NOT a Christian that they should "suck it up and join a church" is the dumbest advice I've heard this week.
Not really. Ani does have a point about church being a place of social gathering moreso than a "cult of Jesus worshipers". I mean, if I were single; I would not rule out meeting people in a church (eventhough I walked away from the whole religion thing soon after Catholic school).

Here in Charlotte, many of the ladies I see going to church are dressed like straight up prostitutes. They all seem to be looking for a man who "believes in the lord". Whether one believes in God or not, most men can relate to an attractive woman who can afford to place $50 in a collection plate.

Anyways, I think Ani was just trying to tell the OP to keep an open mind (something that us liberals are masters of) and try out the social scene of the chruches. She may very well find folks who are just as agnostic as herself; and are at church just for the social benefits and nothing more.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 828MOM View Post
Say my price point would be unlimited... what places could you recommend?
you might consider Granada Farms in Granite falls. Those folks seem to be doing their own thing -- many older couples, retired folks who couldn't care less about your religious beliefs. Also, there is a large area of newer homes in the Sawmills area that would allow an easy commute back to Hickory. A realtor would have to help you with that -- I can't remember the specific name of that development. Many transplants.

Rock Barn in Conover -- many transplants. some retired.Catawba Country Club in Newton or housing developments nearby. Great school district.

Catawba Springs in Hickory. Probably more natives than transplants -- many are folks who have known one another since high school or college. However, I don't think anyone would be uptight if you don't attend church. I would NOT keep your kids from attending church events, youth groups, etc if they like the kids inviting them. Parents would take that as rejection of them, personally, not of their church.

You may do fine in Moore's Ferry in Hickory. I would say over half those residents are casual church-goers but see--many are multi-millionaires and Trustafarians, so they are not dependent on church for their social ties. Plus, they write out big checks to churches, and other groups in Hickory so no one is gonna hassle them about anything as long as the $$$ keeps flowing, lol.

Something most people do not understand about Hickory is that there is a LOT of old money and a lot of trustafarians there, and it has created a very odd sort of social structure. Lots of wannabes, too.

Your most down to earth, accessible,,friendly folks are gonna invite you to church cause they want you to feel at home. This is just a friendly gesture. You can always explain to folks you are Jewish, I suppose. Even if you resent my suggesting it, I still think you ought to at least consider contacting the Jewish community. You may neet folks who end up being life long friends.

I am just trying to help you find a way to make a home and be happy in Hickory. It is up to you to decide what you are willing to do to make life work there, especially for your kids.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:16 PM

85 posts, read 185,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

You cannot equate how a county votes with how LIBERAL they are on social issues. They are conservative and very old southern Baptist in Burke Co. Plus, Burke Co has more than its share of backwoods types who are known for violence and look like they walked off the set of Deliverance.

What exactly was ignorant about my post? I never said Morganton was liberal, I said I was liberal. The OP listed a number of towns they wer considering and Morganton was one of them.

I gave facts about Morganton and Burke County. Morganton is somewhat close to Granite Falls, so the drive and its effects on the environment would be minimal. Satan Have Mercy

Old 06-13-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
Not really. Ani does have a point about church being a place of social gathering moreso than a "cult of Jesus worshipers". I mean, if I were single; I would not rule out meeting people in a church (eventhough I walked away from the whole religion thing soon after Catholic school).

Here in Charlotte, many of the ladies I see going to church are dressed like straight up prostitutes. They all seem to be looking for a man who "believes in the lord". Whether one believes in God or not, most men can relate to an attractive woman who can afford to place $50 in a collection plate.

Anyways, I think Ani was just trying to tell the OP to keep an open mind (something that us liberals are masters of) and try out the social scene of the chruches. She may very well find folks who are just as agnostic as herself; and are at church just for the social benefits and nothing more.
BINGO!!!! TY for explaining that, Urban.

I stated it earlier--I am personal friends with quite a few folks who moved to Hickory b/c of their profession -- and who were not church goers--and some are agnostics. But they found a nice church to attend so they would meet others and so their kids could participate in activities. People need to understand--in a small town , some of the best arhletic teams, dinner clubs, etc are organized by church groups.

Old 06-13-2012, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Man From Utopia View Post
What exactly was ignorant about my post? I never said Morganton was liberal, I said I was liberal. The OP listed a number of towns they wer considering and Morganton was one of them.

I gave facts about Morganton and Burke County. Morganton is somewhat close to Granite Falls, so the drive and its effects on the environment would be minimal. Satan Have Mercy
Burke county is not liberal. The Dems in Burke Co are not liberal. You were pointing out that Burke co might be a good match b/c they vote Dem. You made the assumption that they were liberal b/c they voted Dem. I am saying -- you don't know the demographics nor do you understand the politics of western NC if you think all Southerners who are registered Dem compare in any way, shape or form to Massachusetts Dems, who ARE liberal. The contrast couldn't be greater than in Burke county.

Last edited by brokensky; 06-13-2012 at 11:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina