Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:38 PM

6 posts, read 13,618 times

Advertisements

Right now I live right outside of NYC and am looking to relocate to NC. I am looking for a somewhat affluent area for my inlaws, with decent employment opportunities and community services. A friend of mine lives near Rockingham so I would like to be within a 30 minute drive of that area. Someone mentioned Pinehurst. Are there any other areas I should look into?

Thanks so much for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2012, 06:49 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisafa View Post
A friend of mine lives near Rockingham so I would like to be within a 30 minute drive of that area. Someone mentioned Pinehurst.
Pinehurst is a great area for retirees, especially if they like golf. It's about 25 miles to Rockingham. Southern Pine and Seven Lakes are nearby and great for retirees.

The employment situation may be difficult. The unemployment rate in Scotland County (where Rockingham is) is the worst in the state at 16.9%. Does you friend have any connections to help you find a job? Otherwise the job prospects are slightly better around Fayetteville, Hoke County and Moore County.

Old 07-01-2012, 08:03 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,010,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
Pinehurst is a great area for retirees, especially if they like golf. It's about 25 miles to Rockingham. Southern Pine and Seven Lakes are nearby and great for retirees.

The employment situation may be difficult. The unemployment rate in Scotland County (where Rockingham is) is the worst in the state at 16.9%. Does you friend have any connections to help you find a job? Otherwise the job prospects are slightly better around Fayetteville, Hoke County and Moore County.
Rockingham is the county seat of Richmond county. Unemployment rate in the county for May was 12.3%.

http://www.ncesc1.com/PMI/Rates/Pres...eRelease_M.pdf

Last edited by mm34b; 07-01-2012 at 08:11 PM..

Old 07-01-2012, 09:02 PM

8 posts, read 11,804 times
Default PS on your post about Rockingham/Pinehurst

I forgot to mention - technically speaking, Rockingham, Pinehurst, Fayetteville and points south and east of there are actually considered to the in the "Sand Hills" region, not the Piedmont. The Piedmont runs north and west of those towns all the way to the mountains.

It's one of those things - you would not think that the prevalence of pine and sand could make for such a different cultural stew, but it does. Ft. Bragg and its history also has a big impact of course, but traditionally speaking the Sand Hills have a different culture, feel and history from the Piedmont, Coastal and Mountain regions.

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,162,651 times
I'm a little confused by the OP. You say you are looking to relocate, but then you talk about your inlaws who are looking for an affluent area. Will you be living with your inlaws, or are these two separate searches?

Old 07-02-2012, 10:40 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,069,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b View Post
Rockingham is the county seat of Richmond county. Unemployment rate in the county for May was 12.3%.

http://www.ncesc1.com/PMI/Rates/Pres...eRelease_M.pdf

Thanks for the correction, but it still a very high unemployment rate.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:44 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm a little confused by the OP. You say you are looking to relocate, but then you talk about your inlaws who are looking for an affluent area. Will you be living with your inlaws, or are these two separate searches?
Lisa will be bringing the whole family down with her

Old 07-02-2012, 03:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,838,770 times
Quote:
I am looking for a somewhat affluent area for my inlaws, with decent employment opportunities and community services. A friend of mine lives near Rockingham so I would like to be within a 30 minute drive of that area. Someone mentioned Pinehurst. Are there any other areas I should look into?
I do think the Sandhills area (Pinehurst/Southern Pines etc) is the best bet for "affluent senior living". As for the job market, you need to tell us what industry you're in and what kinds of things you'd be looking for NC's unemployment overall is among the highest in the USA right now, though of coruse certain fields have it better. There is an excellent hospital in the Sandhills area if you're in health care.

The other possibility would be Union County outside Charlotte (a high-growing area rife with Northern transplants), but I would say to post in the Charlotte subforum for that.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM

6 posts, read 13,618 times
Default Thanks!

Please pardon my ignorance about NC. I am just starting to learn about it. Originally we were looking at Florida but I just don't think I can stand the heat. I was told that NC has a lot of "half backs"...people who go to FL and come to NC to avoid the cold of NJ and to avoid the heat of FL. I know it gets hot there but I was told it's not as oppressive or as long lasting as Florida.

I'm also looking forward to a slower pace. I was born and raised in NJ and it's just getting crazy here!

I am a teacher and before that, I used to be a secretary. I am also studying to be a personal trainer, so if I am in an area with seniors with a little money, perhaps I can teach some exercise classes.

Yes, I will be bringing the whole family with me...they will be living separately from us, but nearby.

Wow, that IS a high unemployment rate. Is the unemployment rate usually fairly high there? I know that the economy is lousy right now, but I'm thinking there are probably more job opps where I am at the moment. That's definitely something to think about. Maybe I should widen my search to within an hour of Rockingham, then.

Are there any resources you would recommend I use to learn more about NC areas and economics?

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:34 AM

1,791 posts, read 1,867,390 times
Quote:
Please pardon my ignorance about NC. I am just starting to learn about it. Originally we were looking at Florida but I just don't think I can stand the heat. I was told that NC has a lot of "half backs"...people who go to FL and come to NC to avoid the cold of NJ and to avoid the heat of FL. I know it gets hot there but I was told it's not as oppressive or as long lasting as Florida.

I'm also looking forward to a slower pace. I was born and raised in NJ and it's just getting crazy here!

I am a teacher and before that, I used to be a secretary. I am also studying to be a personal trainer, so if I am in an area with seniors with a little money, perhaps I can teach some exercise classes.

Yes, I will be bringing the whole family with me...they will be living separately from us, but nearby.

Wow, that IS a high unemployment rate. Is the unemployment rate usually fairly high there? I know that the economy is lousy right now, but I'm thinking there are probably more job opps where I am at the moment. That's definitely something to think about. Maybe I should widen my search to within an hour of Rockingham, then.

Are there any resources you would recommend I use to learn more about NC areas and economics?

Thanks so much, I really do appreciate it.
I've never lived in Florida, so I can't really compare the weather, but I can say that our summers are hell; summer temps can reach 100 in July and August, and with our high humidity, the heat index ("feels like" temp) can hit 110 to 115.

NC does have a fairly high unemployment rate, 9.4% for the state, and some counties well over 10%. North Carolina unemployment rates, county-by-county :: WRAL.com

We have a large military presence in NC, and the areas around Ft. Bragg, Camp Lejune, and Seymore Johnson AFB are slightly better off from economic changes and fluctuations. But the jobs are typically going to cater to either working for the government or providing services for those who do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina