Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2006, 09:03 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times

Advertisements

Okay, I never thought much about bugs before reading this msg board and when I first moved here I thought people were trying to scare newcomers away by bug comments. OH MY GAWD are there ever more bugs here than I am use to!!!! I am presently sitting with my feet up on the desk trying to to use the computer because the craziest, biggest, bounciest (is that a word?? - this things almost jumps), fastest spider I have ever seen just came bouncying/running into my room. I am so freaked out, but my husband made a poker friend and I still haven't met anyone so I am home alone right now scared to death. I tried to catch this thing but it is so fast that it climbed behind my computer desk and now I am stuck with my foot falling asleep from being in a weird position. The other night I had a baby bottle in my hand and I saw some kind of giant cockroach beattle looking thing and I actually captured it with my son's bottle I can't count how many flies seem to get in and little gnats. I have crickets a few times a week and even one of those walking stick bugs drop on me from my front door. Good lord, I am becoming paranoid about what is going to jump out next. I remember reading about the invasion of the lady bugs and I noticed last week after washing windows for the first time since we moved in there were a number of old lady bug shells under the panes. I am bracing myself for the attack of lady bugs next...Please, please know when people tell you there are bigs in NC, they aren't kidding!!!! I have lived in the country of CA and I have never seen so many strange things. It isn't enough to completely freak out, but it is enough to keep you on your toes..... Speaking of toes, mine are beginning to cramp up, so I think I am going to run out of here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2006, 09:19 PM

62 posts, read 176,470 times
where are you in NC? are you in a city, country, housing development or what?

Old 09-23-2006, 10:15 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
Ya seriously. Are you living in the swamp?! Been here 20 years and never have had a bad experince with bugs like you are describing. Mabey there are as many bugs where I live and have become used to it? Want huge cockroaches? Go to south Florida. There freakin huge!

Old 09-23-2006, 11:36 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Those huge **** roaches you are talking about in south Florida are also at the NC coast, from hwy 17 eastward. There is no way she is seeing them in the triangle though.

I don't know where she is from, but I have no problems at all with bugs.

The jumping spider you are talking about? I have seen them before. They are not dangerous but do....kind of bite...lol. Nothing major though, just a stinging feeling. Can't hurt you. I see many of these in the Wilson area. I have never seen one here in Raleigh though.

I have also lived in New Jersey. Bugs were all over the place there. I would say there is less here.

Who knows.

I think those giant cockroaches are called water bugs, or Palmetto bugs. They are nasty! They are also worse than roaches. Why? Because they enter clean houses, where roaches do not. When I lived in New Bern they were all over the place! They are not in the triangle though. Thank god

Last edited by Beffrey2; 09-23-2006 at 11:55 PM..

Old 09-24-2006, 08:13 PM

676 posts, read 3,075,810 times
It probably isn't a lot of bugs to most people who live here, but I have never seen this many before I moved to NC so it is a bit of a shock. After reading these message boards I expected worse, but I guess mainly what is different for me is the size. I have actually seen a tarantula walking down the road, Black Widows a handful of times and tons of rattle snakes where I grew up in CA, so I am not a complete sissy. Oh and I live in a neighborhood maybe 10 minutes out of Winston-Salem. Maybe that is country compared to Raleigh??? Anyway, I think the spider last night kind of just freaked me out more than normal because I was alone and it was so darn quick!

Old 09-25-2006, 01:44 PM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
wow, I'm also very surprised that you're seeing all this in Winston-Salem. I just moved to Greensboro and I haven't seen many bugs at all. My hometown is in the middle of the swamp in SC, though, so I'm used to bugs.

the roaches here are tiny, tiny things. they are slow moving, and they don't even fly. On a semi-related note, I've been paying attention every day to the temperature difference between Greensboro, NC and Columbia, SC. It is consistently 10 degrees cooler in Greensboro, and sometimes the difference is over 15 degrees.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:46 PM

872 posts, read 3,584,886 times
This year has been drier than usual, up untill this month, so that's really helped keep the creepy crawlies away. But even during the worst of times it's not all that bad. Compared to Charleston in July, it's nothing! lol. No-see-ums....BUhhhh..

Old 09-25-2006, 05:16 PM

8 posts, read 47,592 times
We are thinking about the Wake Forest area, north of Raleigh. How is the "bug situation" there???!!! Do you get the Palmetto bugs? The "jumping spiders"? Centipedes? Thanks!!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:10 PM

505 posts, read 2,542,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
We are thinking about the Wake Forest area, north of Raleigh. How is the "bug situation" there???!!! Do you get the Palmetto bugs? The "jumping spiders"? Centipedes? Thanks!!

Bugs are not bad at all in the raleigh area. You will see spiders. But you see them everywhere.

Palmetto bugs are at the beach, to about 30 miles inland.

Old 09-26-2006, 03:53 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,475,655 times
i don't know about that, beffrey, I consistently see palmetto bugs 100+ miles from the coast. I think it has less to do with your proximity to the ocean and more to do with the climate of where you are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina