Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2012, 08:28 AM

797 posts, read 3,579,507 times

Advertisements

How many inches must there be between the top of a gas cooktop/range and the bottom of an over the range microwave in NC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 09:17 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,932,563 times
My guess is a nominal 18-inches.

This is the same clearance between a standard height counter top and the lower edge of 30-inch wall cabinets when mounted below a 12-inch soffit in a room with 8-foot ceilings.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:26 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,288,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
My guess is a nominal 18-inches.

This is the same clearance between a standard height counter top and the lower edge of 30-inch wall cabinets when mounted below a 12-inch soffit in a room with 8-foot ceilings.
I don't know if this is the legal answer, but I doubt it: counter-tops generally don't have fire coming out of them.

Even if safety were not a concern, I would definitely want more space. My tallest pan is about eight inches tall, and 18 inches wouldn't leave much space for a spoon or ladle. The pan sits about an inch higher than the edge of the range, so there goes another inch. Also, anyone taller than five feet would have a hard time working at the stove with the microwave at that height.

The microwave right above the stove will get a lot of heat and a lot of grease. It will need frequent cleaning, which will be difficult if it is low.

My hood is about 22.5 inches above the body of the range and 21.5 above the burner grills (or whatever those things are called).

My preference is to use a regular hood, properly vented, and to put the microwave elsewhere.

Old 10-30-2012, 02:43 PM

623.4 Domestic range installation. Domestic ranges installed
on combustible floors shall be set on their own bases or legs and
shall be installed with clearances of not less than that shown on
the label.

623.5 Open-top broiler unit hoods. A ventilating hood shall
be provided above a domestic open-top broiler unit, unless otherwise
listed for forced down draft ventilation.
623.5.1 Clearances. A minimum clearance of 24 inches
(610 mm) shall be maintained between the cooking top and
combustible material above the hood. The hood shall be at
least as wide as the open-top broiler unit and be centered
over the unit.

http://www.brunsco.net/Portals/0/bcf...e_Fuel_Gas.pdf

Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM

43 posts, read 127,423 times
I made the mistake of having a micro installed over a stove in a past kitchen remodel. I'll never do it again. Totally brutal to clean, venting is less than optimal, and the first microwave's control panel burnt out in a year and a half.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:03 PM

Here's someone who said his gas guy said, . . .

//www.city-data.com/forum/ralei...ge-height.html

. . . but no other evidence has been found yet.

I'm amazed that people put the microwaves so close! I don't know how they even use the stove like that.

Old 10-31-2012, 06:56 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steam67 View Post
I made the mistake of having a micro installed over a stove in a past kitchen remodel.
I second this. Not only is it sub optimal for venting even though they make great noise doing it, it's also always in the way for large pots.

Old 03-24-2015, 11:30 AM

1 posts, read 19,239 times
Minimum Clearances and Optimal Clearances are not the same thing. Most manufacturers of over the range microwaves will give you their minimum required clearances in the spec sheet. For instance, GE says you must have a minimum of 13" clearance over your cooktop. However, this is really not enough space from a functional or aesthetic perspective.

Since a microwave is not made of combustible materials, it is completely appropriate to align the bottom of the microwave with the bottom of your wall cabinets (typically 18" from the counter). The higher the microwave, the more difficult it will be to use. The height of your cabinet above will then be determined by the size of the microwave you select.

It is important to note that most of these microwaves also stick out deeper than the 12" for standard wall cabinets. Some people are ok with this. Others choose to use a deeper 15" cabinet over the microwave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina