Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2012, 12:56 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times

Advertisements

Hi world,
I am a 30 year old single working mother of one lil boy (17 months). I'm currently looking into moving to the Cary, NC area from the providence RI area. I've been doing a lot o research and Cary seems to be a good town to raise my lil man in.. I would like others opinions a I'm lookin to do this soon and have never actually been to Cary or in fact NC in general (crazy I know). My son is mixed half white half blck so I want to make sure that would not be an issue. Any information you could give me on why or why I should not move there would be greatly appreciated. Also any information on jobs, child care, schools, different areas that would be good for me and my son will all be greatly appreciated. We will be doing this 100% alone. I have no family or friends that like in NC or around NC so all help is welcome.

Thank you in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2012, 01:27 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,260,799 times
It is just me, but I would advise anyone, especially a single mother with a small child, not to make such a far move. ESPECIALLY with no employment lined up.

Cary is a great town. But it is one of the more expensive areas. I am not sure what kind of housing you could find, by knowing what little you gave about your finances.

Race, especially in the Triangle, is a non-issue. Personality carries far more weight.

I still think you should not move. There is no built in support here. Heck, you've never even been here. What if you don't like it for whatever reason. You will have to move again, and spend more money.

It is one thing if you were single, or had a significant other. But you have to devote all of your well-being towards your little one.

I couldn't imagine.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:57 PM

2 posts, read 1,710 times
Yea that's kinda the reaction I have been getting from family and friends here.. I've taken all o that into consideration. I'm actually thinking about my sons future. Myself i have a good personality so I would not have a problem meeting and making friends. I the people there are friendly. The school system and job status up here in RI are far worse than what I've been researching about Cary. I am planning to take trip there in January to see and research more about it. I'm not poor but I'm not middle class.. I live pay check to paycheck an up here in RI it's very expensive. The reason i wrote this blog is to get more opinions so thank you very much for yours. This is my first blog ever so please excuse the lack of information. Is there another town that would be more cost efficient that you know of? Friendlier? More jobs available? Good school systems

Old 11-29-2012, 02:15 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Best of luck to you, but don't move anywhere without a confirmed job lined up first.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:16 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBojangles View Post
It is just me, but I would advise anyone, especially a single mother with a small child, not to make such a far move. ESPECIALLY with no employment lined up.

Cary is a great town. But it is one of the more expensive areas. I am not sure what kind of housing you could find, by knowing what little you gave about your finances.

Race, especially in the Triangle, is a non-issue. Personality carries far more weight.

I still think you should not move. There is no built in support here. Heck, you've never even been here. What if you don't like it for whatever reason. You will have to move again, and spend more money.

It is one thing if you were single, or had a significant other. But you have to devote all of your well-being towards your little one.

I couldn't imagine.
would also recommend that you listen to good advice. bloom where you are planted until you can get your situation in order to make the move wisely.

Old 11-29-2012, 05:43 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beena82 View Post
Yea that's kinda the reaction I have been getting from family and friends here...
Is there another town...
Limit your choices to where you have FAMILY or some REALLY good friends.

You have at lest 3 years before schools even begin to matter.
Focus on bettering YOUR school and job training to where you have an actual trade
or skill that might be needed somewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: