Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 09:59 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You need to provide reliable links to support your position, as the way the handbook reads does not agree with your "expert opinion".
SL2007-0260
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That has nothing to do with "red arrow" signals, but the fact that motorcycles are now allowed to proceed through red lights because they are not sensed by the inductive loops embedded in the road.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
That has nothing to do with "red arrow" signals, but the fact that motorcycles are now allowed to proceed through red lights because they are not sensed by the inductive loops embedded in the road.
You asked the following in response to jol43

Quote:
Originally Posted by jol43 View Post
I see this is an old post, but I need to clear this up. Turning right on a red arrow is illegal in NC. Most leo's either don't know the law or just let it go. You can read about the right red arrows in the North Carolina drivers renewal manual. I am disappointed a highway patrol told someone it was alright to turn right on a red arrow. Nah, nah, nah, nah , nah
Quote:
You need to provide reliable links to support your position, as the way the handbook reads does not agree with your "expert opinion".
I responded with

Quote:
To interpret the law it states a motorcycle can legally make a turn RIGHT left or going forward after coming to a complete stop and no pedestrians or vehicle is entering the intersection within allocated amount of time.
So it does pertain to right on red, forward or left. All other NC motorcycle and vehicle laws still apply

Deep Thought should be jealous.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-25-2008 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-25-2008, 07:21 PM

Quote:
You asked the following in response to jol43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jol43 View Post
I see this is an old post, but I need to clear this up. Turning right on a red arrow is illegal in NC. Most leo's either don't know the law or just let it go. You can read about the right red arrows in the North Carolina drivers renewal manual. I am disappointed a highway patrol told someone it was alright to turn right on a red arrow. Nah, nah, nah, nah , nah.
This has NOTHING to do with motorcycle only laws

Quote:
I responded with
Quote:
This is ONLY about motorcycle laws

Quote:
To interpret the law it states a motorcycle can legally make a turn RIGHT left or going forward after coming to a complete stop and no pedestrians or vehicle is entering the intersection within allocated amount of time.
So it does pertain to right on red, forward or left. All other NC motorcycle and vehicle laws still apply
So, I don't see your point, jol43 was making what I believe is an incorrect statement about a law that effects ALL drivers, and your citation is for a law that effects ONLY motorcycles.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:41 PM

Quote:
This has NOTHING to do with motorcycle only laws

This is ONLY about motorcycle laws

So, I don't see your point, jol43 was making what I believe is an incorrect statement about a law that effects ALL drivers, and your citation is for a law that effects ONLY motorcycles.
in post 19 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616111-post19.html the poster did not state that it pertains to all drivers like you claim. Common knowledge of any motor or non motor vehicle will still need to obey rules of the road This law gives motorcycles the okay as long as they follow the guidelines of that new law. Post 19 simply states motorcycles can make a right on red or left within the law guidelines.

1+1=2

Old 01-25-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
in post 19 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616111-post19.html the poster did not state that it pertains to all drivers like you claim. Common knowledge of any motor or non motor vehicle will still need to obey rules of the road This law gives motorcycles the okay as long as they follow the guidelines of that new law. Post 19 simply states motorcycles can make a right on red or left within the law guidelines.

1+1=2
Nor was that the post that I quoted and challenged in post #20 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616541-post20.html, I was responding to post #18 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616057-post18.html.
Going back to the start of the thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Is making a right turn on a red arrow legal in NC? People seem to get rather angry if I try to stay stopped at one here.
I am going out on a limb here and since there is absolutely no reference either by content or the users name that this in reference to motorcycles, thus my assumption is that the question pertains to ALL drivers.

And still no citations have been provided that support the statement that ANY driver cannot 'turn right on red' while stopped at a signal with a red arrow AND no "No Right On Red" sign present. And before someone brings it up, with the exception of School Buses, which cannot turn right on red.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Nor was that the post that I quoted and challenged in post #20 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616541-post20.html, I was responding to post #18 //www.city-data.com/forum/2616057-post18.html.
Going back to the start of the thread

I am going out on a limb here and since there is absolutely no reference either by content or the users name that this in reference to motorcycles, thus my assumption is that the question pertains to ALL drivers.

And still no citations have been provided that support the statement that ANY driver cannot 'turn right on red' while stopped at a signal with a red arrow AND no "No Right On Red" sign present. And before someone brings it up, with the exception of School Buses, which cannot turn right on red.
Nobody was debating a citation or the laws, they are just wonderinfg if there is any laws in regard to this issue
that the posts of Asheville Native is making it more perplex than what is asked.http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/froggy_roha/femo20m5a606e8er3.gif (broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Asheville Native is making it more perplex than what is asked.http://i273.photobucket.com/albums/jj231/froggy_roha/femo20m5a606e8er3.gif (broken link)
NO! The original question was about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.S. View Post
Is making a right turn on a red arrow legal in NC? People seem to get rather angry if I try to stay stopped at one here.
Following that a statement was made that it is illegal to turn right on red at a red arrow signal. That is not correct and I'm trying to clear up that erroneous statement. I cited the section from the Drivers Handbook, and asked that the poster that contradicts the handbook cite the law or statute be posted to support their position.

I may be wrong in my interpretation of the handbook, and if a law exists that makes it illegal to turn right on red at a red arrow, I would really like to see the law.

I also might suggest that your citing of a law that applies ONLY to motorcycles is where the perplexity is being introduced.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM

Quote:
NO! The original question was about

Following that a statement was made that it is illegal to turn right on red at a red arrow signal. That is not correct and I'm trying to clear up that erroneous statement. I cited the section from the Drivers Handbook, and asked that the poster that contradicts the handbook cite the law or statute be posted to support their position.

I may be wrong in my interpretation of the handbook, and if a law exists that makes it illegal to turn right on red at a red arrow, I would really like to see the law.

I also might suggest that your citing of a law that applies ONLY to motorcycles is where the perplexity is being introduced.
The same would apply to motorcycles if the OP drove one or bicycle or farm tractor or scooter

Old 01-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Quote:
The same would apply to motorcycles if the OP drove one or bicycle or farm tractor or scooter
Yes, that was my point, and that is exactly what I meant when I said ANY driver.
And no one has provided any citation to support the statement that it is illegal to turn right on red arrow, though the statement has been made, though one response linked to a law applying ONLY to motorcycles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina