Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 06:48 PM

3,375 posts, read 6,256,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I can remember 4th grade in Charlotte, we would memories the books of the bible (only). It was a tool, nothing more.

If that is what they were planning, I would have no problem with that. It hurt no one and it helped many
Because there is so much time in the school year to learn this? No need to learn division or other math. Something you would use in the working world.

If this is an elective class in High School, would be the only way I am semi-not pissed off about it. If a student would want to take this, instead of a music or vocational class, then it is their decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 03:10 AM

63 posts, read 203,117 times
ugh, no. Why must public education always be manipulated by interest groups to serve an agenda? I love science for its focus on understanding our world without bias. I am probably going to home school my kids so that they can focus on science and not have to deal with public school indoctrination. 80 percent of public schooling is about learning to obey rules as a group and giving up self identity. I want my daughters to have a curious adventurous mind where they are free to try and fail and learn.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:28 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,082,901 times
This is an elective class. No one has to take the class.

Calm down everyone, no one is forcing anyone to take a Bible class, just like you weren't forced to play football or join the chess club or any other volunteer/elective group or class. And of all the things going on in schools, does a book that teaches morals really seem that bad?

Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
I'm confused, I thought they already covered that book in the "Great Works of Fiction" class.

Old 03-05-2013, 09:41 AM

1,790 posts, read 1,864,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
This is an elective class. No one has to take the class.

Calm down everyone, no one is forcing anyone to take a Bible class, just like you weren't forced to play football or join the chess club or any other volunteer/elective group or class.
I have an issue with any class (even an elective) that will teach one religious view at the exclusion of others. If they really want to teach it, then it should be a comprehensive class that looks at indigenous religions, the Abrahamic religions (all of them), Hinduism, Buddhism, and so on.

Given that the stated focus is to be on the "Hebrew Scriptures and the New Testament", there is little doubt in my mind that it will be a class on Christianity. And kids can get that at the church of their choice, just as my kids are taught Torah at the synagogue of our choice.

Quote:
And of all the things going on in schools, does a book that teaches morals really seem that bad?
It takes a lot more than a book to teach morality, even for those of us who do believe.

Last edited by JB from NC; 03-05-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 03-05-2013, 12:43 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Jobs... jobs... jobs. Unreal. We're being suckered.
Don't forget "smaller government interference in our everyday lives."
There are still some Republican voters who actually believe that about their party.

Old 03-05-2013, 02:58 PM

76 posts, read 130,211 times
It could pass. It doesn't necessarily violate the establishment clause because it has elements of inclusion and "will follow state/federal law in maintaining religious neutrality". But I do see the ACLU getting in on this if it does, as it sounds like a violation of the Establishment Clause and really looks like a state endorsement of religion. Most schools typically try to adhere to a nonsectarian enviroment. Can you really have a class like this using school facilities and funds, textbooks paid for by the state and not be in some violation, if that's what this law will do? I'm not really well versed on school policy, but this seems really unnecessary when NC needs JOBS.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:18 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
I can remember 4th grade in Charlotte, we would memories the books of the bible (only). It was a tool, nothing more.

If that is what they were planning, I would have no problem with that. It hurt no one and it helped many
My elementary school let an organization in to pass out new testaments.

Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Yeah, jobs, jobs, jobs, & if anyone believes that at this point. . .

This was settled in the 50's. If they pass it, the ink from McCrory's rubber stamp won't be dried before it's in court. This is a great way to waste money. . .but yet, we don't have money top pay the federally mandated unemployment.
You think the bill itself is illegal or the potential implementation? God forbid if the state takes control away from themselves and vests it in local school boards.

That's assuming that it is illegal to teach such a class now for all religions. I can see an issue with the establishment clause if it's illegal now and the goal is to make only one legal in the future. That would be problematic.

But if it's not illegal now then why have the bill.

Old 03-05-2013, 04:13 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Jobs... jobs... jobs. Unreal. We're being suckered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
I am dumbfounded.

These guys can't be gone fast enough.
This is what you call pushing your agenda; the same thing Rep always cry about Dems doing. It has little or nothing to do with the issues at hand and does nothing to better the quality of life for those that live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina