Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times

Advertisements

I moved over here to NC in late 2012 from Texas and lately I've really been considering this to be a huge mistake on my end. My sister lives over here, I was having some problems with finding work in Texas, and she assured me that this area (Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg Area) is booming with potential jobs. Only problem is that, most jobs that I've found around here, all require some high form of degree or security clearance. Whether it's RNs, Mechanical Engineers, Equipment Repairs, or even high end management...they ALL want at the very least a Bachelor's in the pertaining field and in most cases, 2 to 5 years of experience. I have really hit the end of my rope, as I'm constantly being threatened to be removed from my current residence, I have exactly $0 to my name, and the longer I sit here filling out applications only to be ignored, the worse my situation gets.

I'm nearly 26 years old and I'm wanting a career to support myself and get out of the situation that I'm in. The only jobs that have even bothered to call me back, are ones that are only paying $7.50 to $8.00/hour and I can't live on something like that. I just don't know what to do here. I'm certified as a scheduler...I have an Associates in General Studies, and literally no one will call me back. Debt keeps rising and there's no way to control it with even a meager minimum payment. I would prefer a management position, as that's what my last job was...but I just can't seem to land one. Even scraping the bottom barrel positions, I get no call backs. I remember going on an interview in December for a position at blockbuster which was a terrible experience. I was the only white male (shouldn't matter, but it does), 4 others were previous Dish employees (which now owns BB), 2 others were friends of the manager doing the interview, and the other one was related to him. I had a 0% chance of getting that position. Another offer in December wanted me to work 18 hour days, with one 30 minute break, for $7.75/hour.

It's been 2 months now since my last call back...and I'm less than a month away from being kicked out unless I manage to land a job. I just really need some advice and needed to at least get the situation off my chest. I'm just getting so down on myself and feel completely trapped. Everyone keeps yelling at me to get a job, acting like it's my fault...and I'm starting to believe it. It's not like I'm not trying though....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2013, 09:39 AM

831 posts, read 1,965,613 times
What you are experiencing I also experienced...back in 2004. This has been a boon of jobs for 1. people who transfer with the same company 2. IT or pharma whips who are accustomed to getting picked up and dumped seasonally it seems. The last group might be the retail jobs that are coming and going with the flux of transfer jobs.

Your sister needs to read more than the last CNN Money or whatever publication that keeps listing this area as the next Mecca. Here's a beginners tutorial in why she is WRONG:

Unemployment Rates for States

See where NC is? See where TX is? And it has been this way for a looooong time IMNSHO.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:56 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas28307 View Post
she assured me that this area (Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg Area) is booming with potential jobs. Only problem is that, most jobs that I've found around here, all require some high form of degree or security clearance. Whether it's RNs, Mechanical Engineers, Equipment Repairs, or even high end management...they ALL want at the very least a Bachelor's in the pertaining field and in most cases, 2 to 5 years of experience.
Is this a surprise to you? Did you think you could become an RN with a general degree? A mechanical ENGINEER without an engineering degree?

You can't just pick something based on what you think is neato.

A problem that you may be running into is that you're living in a military town. There are plenty of spouses and retirees willing to work for less that apparently you are. Whatever you do, don't move to Jacksonville.

A general two year degree with no specific industry training is pretty much useless unless the credits will transfer to a 4 year school. But that doesn't help you now.

I'd see about moving in with your sister since she helped get you into this mess or moving back with the parents until you can figure out something better.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 3,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Is this a surprise to you? Did you think you could become an RN with a general degree? A mechanical ENGINEER without an engineering degree?

You can't just pick something based on what you think is neato.

A problem that you may be running into is that you're living in a military town. There are plenty of spouses and retirees willing to work for less that apparently you are. Whatever you do, don't move to Jacksonville.

A general two year degree with no specific industry training is pretty much useless unless the credits will transfer to a 4 year school. But that doesn't help you now.

I'd see about moving in with your sister since she helped get you into this mess or moving back with the parents until you can figure out something better.
Not saying I was trying to be an RN...there are just a LOT of RN/Nursing positions here lol. I know I lack qualifications for those.

Old 02-15-2013, 10:35 AM

9,537 posts, read 16,527,663 times
I saw your thread while passing thru the NC forum. Even though I don't live there I decided to reply to it.

I think by getting different people's perspectives, can help people when they have difficult decisions to make. So hope this helps.

Your way over in Fayetteville and your from Texas. Your in a military town that isn't really all that big to begin with. Right there can be a problem for someone that is looking for work. Your also a distance from a larger Metro, that would provide you with more job opportunities.

So my recommendation since you are struggling to pay your rent and keep housing over your head. You don't have the funds at hand and your far from home. Your going to have to move in with your sister for the time being. If she is any kind of a sister and she recommended the area for you. Then I would say she should let you stay there for the time being. Until you can get on your feet again and leave the area. I don't feel that is a place you should be in your circumstances. You tried the area and its not working. You have to work and you know that. So you Move on. If you decide to stay in NC. Then when you can move to an area with more job opportunities. Or if you decide to go home to Texas do the same. Move to an area where there would be more job opportunities for you. Perhaps stay with your parents in Texas if you had to. At this point you need to stay with someone, and I think you need some people around you that are supportive.

These are terrible times for young people your age. My heart goes out to a lot of you that are looking for work and cannot find any. I have never seen it as bad in this country, as I have in the past several years. I don't think it is just bad economies that is the problem. I think the job process for employees to get a job are part of it. There is a bad attitude on the part of employers that prevents people from getting work. I think there is a lot of discrimination in the job process in todays America. Thankfully my working years recently ended, and I'm free just to work a part time job if I want now.

So in closing I think your sister needs to help you out right now. I don't see any other choice. Sometimes, many times families just have to help one another out, and that's the way it is. I think that time has come for your family and you right now. Let her know you need some help, and that you will help around the house as much as you can. Again if she is any kind of a sister she will understand your pain and give you a helping hand. I think she will.

Best of Luck.

Last edited by Jimrob1; 02-15-2013 at 10:53 AM..

Old 02-15-2013, 10:47 AM

5,150 posts, read 7,767,541 times
Quote:
Not saying I was trying to be an RN...there are just a LOT of RN/Nursing positions here lol. I know I lack qualifications for those.
If you haven't hook up with a temp agency and see what they can do for you. Sit down with someone that can work out a path for you. I have made a lot of money working with temp agencies so it isn't like a shame thing. They can open doors. They also can be frank and tell you what your chances are.

My mom has a two year degree and ended up being a housekeeping supervisor at a motor inn. It's hit or miss at best.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:07 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Only problem is that, most jobs that I've found around here, all require some high form of degree or security clearance. ... I'm nearly 26 years old and I'm wanting a career to support myself and get out of the situation that I'm in.
And how did the "job thing" work for you in Texas?

Quote:
Everyone keeps yelling at me to get a job, acting like it's my fault...
and I'm starting to believe it. It's not like I'm not trying though...
You need to have REAL skill and get some certification in *something*
What really doesn't matter. Where doesn't really matter.

Old 02-15-2013, 12:32 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,395,326 times
Almost all the NC natives advise people who are looking to move to NC to not come unless you have a job waiting.

This is old news to the OP but for any newbies looking to move here my advise as a retired person living here, it's pretty good but if your looking for work, look elsewhere.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:25 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,834,607 times
Quote:
I moved over here to NC in late 2012 from Texas and lately I've really been considering this to be a huge mistake on my end. My sister lives over here, I was having some problems with finding work in Texas, and she assured me that this area (Fayetteville, Ft. Bragg Area) is booming with potential jobs. Only problem is that, most jobs that I've found around here, all require some high form of degree or security clearance. Whether it's RNs, Mechanical Engineers, Equipment Repairs, or even high end management...they ALL want at the very least a Bachelor's in the pertaining field and in most cases, 2 to 5 years of experience.

I'm not sure what the purpose of your post was, and I am NOT trying to "beat you when you're down", but your experience reinforces what many of us are always aiyng and get promptly get shot down for: Don't move without a job already lined up. Simply having smoeone say "Oh, there are tons of jobs here" doesn't mean they're jobs you're able to get. I address this to those reading this thread who were about to pasck their bags and head to NC where "they heard there are jobs galore". People need to do their own research, tailors to their own work skills and experienc,e not just a romor that "Oh, jobs are all over the place in NC!!"

BTW, the state legislature is about to cut Unemployment benefits in NC and has declined to expand Medicaid, which manystates are doing. I think their method of reducing NC's high unemployment rate is to "run the unemployed and the poor people out of state" to one that has better benefits.

Good luck to you, OP, wherever you end up.

Old 02-15-2013, 03:34 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I think their method of reducing NC's high unemployment rate is to
"run the unemployed and the poor people out of state" to one that has better benefits.
Maybe they'll go up to Long Island?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina