Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2013, 04:28 PM

27 posts, read 33,881 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

A little background info about me. As the titled stated I am a single mid twenties female with interests in relocating. I presently live in bustling NYC, but have lived in the small (but cold!) city of Boston, and I grew up in the boondocks of Maine. So I have had experiences from both ends of the spectrum. However, now I want to find something in the middle, but with plenty of energy and liveliness.

I have a stable career in health insurance that I can take with me when I move, because I work from home. North Carolina was suggested to me as a place to live as a close friend lives near Raleigh. I am wondering which city and neighborhood would be best to live in? I've been leaning more so towards Raleigh.

I do not own a car, but assume I will need to have one when I move. I also plan to rent when I relocate, with a budget of around 1000 +/-. As you can imagine, after living in NYC for a year I would like to live somewhere affordable and save my money for something bigger.

I hope some of you can help me out. I've been researching on my own, and would like to hear from the locals perspective. I have narrowed is down between moving to CT or NC. However, the affordability, safety, and weather of NC is very alluring.

Also if you have any helpful information or advice that would also be appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 04:30 PM

Also, if there are any Hash House Harriers members reading this your input would be appreciated too! Especially in regards to what the kennels are like there. If I do move your pack will certainly be glad to have me!

Old 04-03-2013, 06:43 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,576,135 times
If you put this on the Raleigh forum you will get a lot more responses.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:11 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,218 times
How did you ever survive in such a small city like Boston!? I mean, it's barely on the map...

Old 04-04-2013, 03:05 AM

@ucctgg Thank you for the suggestion. I just moved a copy of my post there. Hope that helps!

@topchief1 Haha! It wasn't too hard. I mean it is one of the largest city consumers of beer.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:44 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,599,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOnH3Harriet View Post
@ucctgg Thank you for the suggestion. I just moved a copy of my post there. Hope that helps!

@topchief1 Haha! It wasn't too hard. I mean it is one of the largest city consumers of beer.

That would explain the street setup.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
That would explain the street setup.

Haha! Hey-oh! -And the popularity of the term 'Beer Goggles.'

Old 04-04-2013, 11:29 AM

3,086 posts, read 4,863,317 times
You can live a "southern" urban lifestyle with no car in downtown Wilmington or downtown Charlotte...lots of things to do in each place.

And before folks say its not possible, I know a number of people who have lived in each for extended periods of time. Renting in the Historic District close to the river in Wilmington is a wonderful experience that is hard to duplicate in NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina