Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2018, 08:18 AM

40 posts, read 78,967 times

Advertisements

We live in the NE and love it for many reasons. But my husband may have a job opportunity in Charlotte and moving there would make sense for us because it’s so much closer to family. Have any of you moved from the NE? What do you like about living in N.C.? Is the cost of living really lower?

We love living in PA because it’s close to so many fun places to visit like NYC, D.C., Baltimore and Jersey Shore. We live near the Amish so we buy a lot of produce and baked goods from them. The farmland here is beautiful and so peaceful. And the town we live in is very safe.It would be hard to leave.

But I’ve heard sooo many good things about Charlotte. People seem to love living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:23 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
The only real savings is property taxes, and possibly the actual cost of housing, depending on where you live in the NE. Most people who make the move report that food is more expensive, more things are subject to sales tax, including food and clothing, and annual property taxes are charged on cars, boats and rv's.

Winters are milder of course, but summers might feel brutally hot.

Here are some other threads that might interest you:

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...charlotte.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...ould-know.html
//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...otte-area.html

Old 02-27-2018, 11:38 PM

32,941 posts, read 36,378,548 times
I grew up in Northeastern PA and lived in North Carolina for just shy of nine years. Two stints. The first summer there, and the first summer back, I thought I was going to die from a heat related disorder. I didn't.

You'll get used to it, maybe. I learned to work around it. It's common sense, really.

There's nothing like New York or DC in the state, not even in a day's drive, but there are plenty of nice, interesting, cities in the region.

You'll like some of the beach towns. They remind me of the Jersey Shore. I'm sure they don't want to hear that, but it's true.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:22 AM

1,541 posts, read 1,678,902 times
I grew up in NY. Moved to Raleigh 6 months ago. It's great. Charlotte is a nice city as well, though I've never lived there, just visited. Cost of living really depends. If you're from rural PA, cost of living may not be cheaper in Charlotte. It's certainly cheaper than NYC, Boston, and all of the major NE cities. Just outside of Charlotte looks a lot like rural PA. Concord and out that way.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:14 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's nothing like New York or DC in the state, not even in a day's drive, but there are plenty of nice, interesting, cities in the region.
This is a little confusing. Obviously DC is within a day's drive, as is Atlanta. But no there is nothing like DC or NYC in North Carolina itself.

Charlotte is an easy driving distance from the NC mountains. Asheville and the Boone/Blowing Rock area are both beautiful and about 2 hours away. About 3-3.5 hrs away is Charleston SC, one of the great cities of the South and Savannah GA is just a little bit further.

You sound like you're really happy where you are, though, so not sure I would advise a move unless the job is just too good to turn down. I think the newcomers who settle in best here are the one who are excited about moving to North Carolina and are happy to leave where they are.

Old 03-02-2018, 07:29 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christyloulou View Post
We live in the NE and love it for many reasons. But my husband may have a job opportunity in Charlotte and moving there would make sense for us because it’s so much closer to family. Have any of you moved from the NE? What do you like about living in N.C.? Is the cost of living really lower?

We love living in PA because it’s close to so many fun places to visit like NYC, D.C., Baltimore and Jersey Shore. We live near the Amish so we buy a lot of produce and baked goods from them. The farmland here is beautiful and so peaceful. And the town we live in is very safe.It would be hard to leave.

But I’ve heard sooo many good things about Charlotte. People seem to love living there.

It could be a culture shock for you. Charlotte itself is very crowded and within a radius of the large ity; interstate traffic is a nightmare, as are the 'ring' roads. There are some nice suburbs, yet crowded subdivisions with 'average' size lots; you will have to do a lot of 'homework' and research on locations. It will be a 'faster life' for you within a radius of the city; give it more serious thought -- see if you can rent for awhile.

From the NC mountains, (e.g. Hendersonville to Charlotte airport) is easily 2 hrs., and a good 2.5 hrs. to Asheville itself in normal traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina