Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Possible relocation to Austin, Texas area, property tax information needed, good home prices, cost of living, Canyon Creek community, Alamo and River Walk trips

Old 04-29-2007, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 4,353 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of moving to the Austin Area, probably 78726 area. Can any one tell me what exactly is the property tax today. So far I've heard as low as 2%, and as high as 3.5%. How often does it increase and by how much. Also, what exactly can I get for $350k on the west side that is reasonably close to the center part of the 360. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2007, 09:59 PM

206 posts, read 1,311,123 times
I think 78726 is the area between/around 620, 2222 and anderson mill. A very nice area with good schools. We had looked at Canyon Creek community out there, which is really good place to buy a house. I am sure you can find a good house there for that price. It would be difficult to find a good house for that price range around 360 loop.
You can roughly say the tax rate is 3% (give or take .15%). Thumb rule is prepare to pay tax on atleast 80% of your home value (factoring in exemptions).

Personally, moving to Austin for me was a good decision. Agreed, property tax is really a thorn below the rose. But Austin is simply the best.

Old 04-30-2007, 06:52 AM

1,207 posts, read 6,280,713 times
I agree with PVaustin..Canyon Creek is really a nice community and close to everything. I did a quick search and there are 8 listings in your rough price range in 78726. You will be looking at a 2600-3400 sf home (roughly) in that price range depending on condition, lot, etc.

As pv said, once you go farther south it's going to be difficult to find something for $350K off 360. Once you move into the Westlake area, forget about it, and I'm not sure you can even get something in Jester (360/2222 for that price range. I think your only other option would be Steiner Ranch, but that will be a longer drive, I think, than 78726.

You'd also potentially have two options to get to work at the center of 360 from Canyon Creek (i'm assuming you work at the center of 360 somewhere). You can take 620 east to 183 to 360 south, or you can take 620 west to 2222 south to 360. At least you have a couple of options depending upon traffic.

For taxes, all the listings currently on market in your price range are paying somewhere around $8-9000 in taxes. Those are RRISD schools (Williamson County) but the homes are located in Travis County, I believe, so you get tax bills from two different county taxing jurisdictions (which means you have to file your homestead exemptions in two different places also).

Good luck!

Old 05-17-2007, 04:12 PM

7 posts, read 24,479 times
Default Austin is a pretty cool place.

If you dont' mind commuting up 183 or up the 2222 hill to Hwy 620, there are many nice places to live off of 620. Just be aware that the County lines of Williamson and Travis meet in the area of Anderson and 620 areas. The neighborhood of The Ranch at Cypress is on both and gets taxed a little from both. Try to stay on or in one county. The Ranch at Deer Creek is very nice, but some of those folks get taxed by both counties too. The Bella Vista neighborhood is wonderful. The Twin Creeks neighborhood is worth checking out with its awesome Golf Course and Country Club. The Crystal Falls area is quiet and full of wildlife. Steiner Ranch is the Home to University of Texas Golf. They all have nice pools, parks, and lets not forget the Westside Preserve up Lakeline toward 1431 with all of its caves and hiking trails. We have lived out in Cedar Park for almost five years and are still finding cool things to explore. The Austin area is full of things do. Zilker Park is full of adventure all year long. Read about Austin on the internet. You can get a nice place for 350K in the Austin area. The commute is not really that bad in the scheme of things compared to the other big(ger) cities. My husband and I used to drive every day for four years from Austin Bergstrom to Cedar Park. We had the route down to a science. The nice thing about Austin is that there are different ways to go places. We know all the short cuts through the hills. I can get from the airport - through the downtown area - out the back of Zilker Park area - past 360 and up to Cedar Park. Where there is a will - there is a way. There are many beautiful hills and trees country views out Loop 360 way. We would communicate via cell phone if there was a traffic accident hosing up traffic and I would quickly turn off and go alternate routes. Cell phones and computers help when learning your way around.

The area that you looking at is the area to look at. It's hilly and full of beauty. Best wishes to you. We were thinking of moving to PA with work. Not sure yet. Austin is the epitomy of Texas. We do love it here.

We recently wandered to the Texas Ranger Museum in San Antonio and then to the River Walk. Its nice to be able to go to San Antonio on day trips. Next! The Alamo!

Austin has SXSW every year, concerts, art, football, festivals, Bob Bullock Museum, Blanton Art Gallery, UT, Pecan Street Festival, 6th Street with lots of live music in all the bars, Colorado River, Lake Travis, ThreadGills, Lake Austin, Zilker Park, Auditoriam Shores, Historic Congress Street leading to the State Capitol Building, The Governors, Mansion, Wildlife Preserves, SoCo,. It really goes on and on and on and on. Every kind of food is here. You will love it. Not a long winter, but a very hot summer.
VRM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin