Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 10:37 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times

Advertisements

Considering how much of an economic development influencer this is in our area, I think it is relevant to our local community:

The NC Senate budget strips ALL funding for bicycle/pedestrians projects going forward that are not on the books by the end of June. If you care, you will want to contact your senators asap. This budget bill is moving quickly through the senate. You can go here to find out more:
Advocate Now: No Funding for Bike/Ped in Senate Version of Transportation Bill | Advocates for Health in Action

Personally, I think it would be a horrible mistake, and end up costing us in many ways going forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:23 AM

924 posts, read 2,105,470 times
It is truly a disgrace, but it is (more or less) what the electorate of North Carolina voted for. All of us who are outraged by sh*t like this need to keep this in mind next time we feel or encounter apathy regarding the significance of elections and voting.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM

4,598 posts, read 10,160,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
If you care, you will want to contact your senators asap. This budget bill is moving quickly through the senate.
Won't do any good. This General Assembly doesn't give a crap what the average citizen wants, only what interest groups want. If bicyclists/pedestrians woke up tomorrow with a cash-heavy lobbying group, they'd find this bill measure quietly go away.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:47 AM

11,226 posts, read 8,315,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evaofnc View Post
Won't do any good. This General Assembly doesn't give a crap what the average citizen wants, only what interest groups want. If bicyclists/pedestrians woke up tomorrow with a cash-heavy lobbying group, they'd find this bill measure quietly go away.
Agreed, here are some of the key talking points referenced in the link I provided (I provided these points to my email to my State Rep):

Talking Points

Greenways and trails are the number one amenity that people look for when choosing a new neighborhood.
Greenways and trails are the number oen amenity requested in Parks and Recreation surveys throughout North Carolina.
Developers are including trails within their neighborhoods and locating near trail networks to increase their property values.
Property values are higher the closer your home is to a trail or park.
A robust trail network can help kids get to school without riding the bus or being driven by parents.
Childhood obesity and Type 2 diabetes in children has skyrocketed. Walking or riding to school can help children get the exercise they need. In 1969, 50 percent walked to school; by 2004 the figure was down to 14 percent.
Access to transportation alternatives both transit and bicycle and pedestrian facilities have been proven to lower body weight. One estimate of the country’s annual medical bill for physical inactivity: $117 billion

Not a lobby, but if I were a realtor, or a business owner, or someone wanting to get reelected, I think I'd be in favor of things that have this effect.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:53 AM

300 posts, read 973,605 times
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the latest text show bikeways/greenways added back in (red strikethrough and green add available on the source page):

Bill Text: NC H817 | 2013-2014 | Regular Session | Amended | LegiScan

"§ 136‑41.3. Use of funds; records and annual statement; excess accumulation of funds; contracts for maintenance, etc., of streets.
(a) Uses of Funds. � The funds allocated to cities and towns under the provisions of G.S. 136‑41.2 shall be expended by said cities and towns only for the purpose of maintaining, repairing, constructing, reconstructing or widening of any street or public thoroughfare including bridges, drainage, curb and gutter, and other necessary appurtenances within the corporate limits of the municipality or for meeting the municipality's proportionate share of assessments levied for such purposes, or for the planning, construction and maintenance of bikeways, greenways, or sidewalks.

Old 05-28-2013, 11:56 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,301,356 times
I'm a huge fan of the greenway system here in Raleigh, but I will admit I don't have a full understanding of the impact this bill would actually have on our greenway system. How much State money actually goes into the greenway? I know the new upper neuse greenway was paid for by a parks and recreation bond proposed by the City of Raleigh (not the state) and approved by residents of Raleigh who then paid for it through their city taxes. No state money was involved (as far as I can tell). Maybe the state is paying for other greenway systems??

Old 05-28-2013, 03:23 PM

9,364 posts, read 14,134,458 times
Are these amenities not funded at a LOCAL level? Why should the state be involved?

Old 05-28-2013, 05:55 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,201,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Are these amenities not funded at a LOCAL level? Why should the state be involved?
Because the NCDOT controls a lot of the roads in cities like Raleigh, Greensboro and Charlotte. It's hard for municipalities to effect area planning changes when the state has what amounts to cobwebs across a city to slow down urban-friendly design. I guarantee you the local governments would like to have control over some of the secondary roads and vestigial holdings of the NCDOT. If they were serious about saving money in the NCDOT that's exactly what they'd do. But we know this isn't about saving money. This is about making a point.

Old 05-28-2013, 06:33 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,151,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
Oh, I don't know. Somebody lives in Wake County, and wants to be able to ride their bike to work in RTP, or Durham, or Chatham County?

Projects like the ATT, that span multiple counties, and are major attractors of people to the region (our growth is not hated by everyone).

Parks like Umstead STATE park, which also incorporate parts of the Black Creek Greenway, and provide a critical link connecting Raleigh and Cary

Since we're talking about pedestrian too, how about the Mountains to See Trail?

I'll admit to not knowing, but I seriously doubt that the bridge going over I-40 is going to to be funded solely by local money, but I could be wrong.

, but that is totally self motivated...) (joke, it's a joke...)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-28-2013 at 08:05 PM.. Reason: orphan: the post you replied to was deleted

Old 05-28-2013, 08:44 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,552,457 times
I understand the cut if the funding of the green ways and maintenance and such is paid by the transportation bill and that bill is funded by gas tax .

Im assuming this bill is only referring to what the state pays into and nativeson brought interesting point who pays for bridge, gutter work when it crosses state roads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina