Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 08:53 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,722,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I don't think the rechargeables work that way. I sure would like to find one but the issue isn't whether they have your name, the issue is whether they can be traced to you. I don't know how the NJ cases went down because I haven't found any links.

Gift cards, including the ones from the banks and Amex should work but those are generally not reloadable. I'd like to see some links on how NJ did it. I can't see them compelling merchants in another state to open their records so they'd have to go to the banks.
Here's a start for you. https://www.google.com/search?q=nj+u...hrome&ie=UTF-8

Try this one too. http://articles.philly.com/2003-06-0...xes-excise-tax

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-18-2013 at 09:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 09:36 AM

334 posts, read 868,061 times
Interesting. As for the re-loadable credit cards. Walmart sells an Amex Bluebird. My son was given a Visa re-loadable. I have re-loaded it several times for him to buy lunch,gas etc.

I don't blame the people in NJ for trying to avoid a tax that is obviously too high. I certainly would not be using my credit card.
As for sending NC additional sales tax money is like giving liquor to an alcoholic. They'll just waste it.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:45 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,771,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdanville View Post
Interesting. As for the re-loadable credit cards. Walmart sells an Amex Bluebird. My son was given a Visa re-loadable. I have re-loaded it several times for him to buy lunch,gas etc.

I don't blame the people in NJ for trying to avoid a tax that is obviously too high. I certainly would not be using my credit card.
As for sending NC additional sales tax money is like giving liquor to an alcoholic. They'll just waste it.
Bluebird is not a reloadable card. You cannot activate one without triggering the Patriot Act identification clauses (know your customer). I'm going to walmart later. If I remember I'll see what is there. My thought is if it's reloadable the cards there are temporary and upon activation require identification. Regardless of name or not they are traceable to the bearer.

I don't know about that particular card but I do know about Bluebird. I have an account and account is what it is. The card is part of the account not standalone. What you get at the store is temporary and will stop working after the real thing is received.

Old 06-19-2013, 06:46 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,741,790 times
I am no fan of the Reps in Raleigh, but you don't move toward getting rid of income tax, and at the same time, eliminate sales tax. I know a lot of people want less tax, but the state is FALLING APART and the tax has to come from somewhere.

I believe if you think about it, getting rid or moving to get rid of income tax will greatly outweigh the benefit of the single tax holiday.

And if you understand the value of TIME, the 7% or whatever you save, is hardly worth the lines and frequent mania that one sees.

Thing big, folks!

Old 06-20-2013, 09:55 AM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,654,779 times
I have always thought that tax break days were much to do about nothing. I would like to see a lot of tax loopholes stopped. Fair taxes for everybody would be much better taxes.

What happens is that the poor don't have to pay anything, the rich gain from loopholes and the middle class pays for everybody else. Time for fair taxes so everybody pays equally.

I see this a little like doing away with the draft for the military. When only a few pay taxes than only a few know how important it is to save as much as you can on taxes. Everybody should have to join the military and everybody should pay at least some taxes. We are a nation of the people, by the people and for the people. We are not a nation of some people, by some people and for some people. When we get back to everybody needs to pay and serve we will all appreciate what it costs to make a great nation and we will be a great nation again. I am finding what this nation has become to be a little scary. Some of us pay the price and others get the benefits. The only thing a person really appreciates is what they have worked for in this life.

Last edited by NCN; 06-20-2013 at 10:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina