Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cny2cnc View Post
Every day another crazy law or two is passed in Raleigh that takes this state back to the "good ole days"...
But at least in the "good old days", state employees had good benefits!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 08:04 PM

101 posts, read 357,139 times
Now we just have crappy pay and crappy benefits--guess that's progress!

Old 07-22-2013, 07:47 AM

90 posts, read 192,814 times
So now the budget has been passed, is there gonna be a loosening of the hiring freeze? I haven't seen anything in any of the news articles posted, just blurbs about the health & retirement plans getting funded & no raises. I understand that is not even close to one of the public's major concerns in regards to the budget, but it is to me!

Old 07-22-2013, 04:00 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpayne44 View Post
So now the budget has been passed, is there gonna be a loosening of the hiring freeze? I haven't seen anything in any of the news articles posted, just blurbs about the health & retirement plans getting funded & no raises. I understand that is not even close to one of the public's major concerns in regards to the budget, but it is to me!
I have noticed slightly more jobs being posted, especially in Transportation. But as for vacant positions, including critical ones, in my own agency, we're still being told (effectively) "suck it up".

Old 07-22-2013, 09:20 PM

257 posts, read 295,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GovtAcct View Post
Hi,

My wife and I are high-level accountants with the Federal Government in Washington, DC. We are seeking to relocate to North Carolina. (At this point we are open to a location.) I have applied for 16 accounting, auditing and tax administration jobs with the State of North Carolina and have heard nothing. (I was an IRS agent in the past.)

Does anyone have any advice as to how to improve my chances of obtaining a job with the State?
I suggest taking a look at the new budget. There is a March 2013 version posted now, but who knows what our erratic legislation will do with it. The Gov is eliminating most open requisitions (usually 6 mos old). For instance, that version of the budget eliminates 16 FTE from the Dept of Revenue, 9 FTE from the Dept of Insurance, etc. But he is opening some to support new business development. That may give you an idea for positioning your accounting skills.

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 PM

257 posts, read 295,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpayne44 View Post
Check to see if the new budget is posted. If so, and IF it follows the March 2013 format, it is explicit in identifying were FTE's will be reduced or added. When I saw that almost all requisitions 6 mos or older were being eliminated, I assumed there has already been a freeze on those jobs (and not that it took 6 months to find qualified people).

Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM

407 posts, read 1,074,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Hold the phone. Have you researched the NC state employees health plan? It really isn't superior to what my friends in the private sector have. Also, unless you and your wife are both planning to work for the state plan on paying around $500 a month to add your spouse to your state health care plan. Dental and eye care will be extra (and they aren't very good plans).

Worked as a state employee for just under 3 months; health plan ran me $667 a month (excluding dental). Ridiculous. Not too friendly towards state workers and pay raises are few and far between. New proposed budget does not include pay raises (again) for state workers. Teachers also will not receive pay raises, and $120 million is being cut for teacher assistants. Get ready for the vacuum; quality teachers will be leaving this state for greener pastures.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 52,614 times
Thank you for your insight, BraveHeart01. Would you have the link to the document that describes where FTEs are being added and reduced? Does it list exact positions or just departments? I appreciate your help.

Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM

90 posts, read 192,814 times
I think they are supposed to vote on it today, so I would imagine it would probably be posted after that. But I could be wrong. Where would one look for where it is posted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina