Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2013, 10:25 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Try this. Have you driven Route 1 between Baltimore & Philadelphia? It takes you through what you are showing that appears to be somewhat built up. It's not. Have you been at Aberdeen, Elkton, Port Deposit, or Bel Air? Didn't you post on the South Jersey board about a job in or near Woodstown?
Oh that was some time about about a possible job in Woodstown. That didn't work out.

Between Baltimore and Philly, I've only driven I-95. At any rate, there's still much less gaps between the major cities in the Bos-Wash corridor and DC and Richmond. It's not really debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2013, 10:43 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Oh that was some time about about a possible job in Woodstown. That didn't work out.

Between Baltimore and Philly, I've only driven I-95. At any rate, there's still much less gaps between the major cities in the Bos-Wash corridor and DC and Richmond. It's not really debatable.
People who I know who consider Richmond as part of the Megapolis do so because the gap north of Fredericksburg isn't too much anymore & the gap between Richmond & Fredericksburg has shrunk as well.

I brought up Woodstown because you asked about accommodations that one would expect in a suburban area. If you recall, the 2 biggest things in town are the Cowtown Rodeo & the Cowtown Flea Market. One of the townships in South Jersey was best known, until about 10 years ago, for pig farms & the pig farmers had contracts with the City of Philadelphia, for over 100 years, to pick up garbage to slop the hogs. Yet South Jersey is included in the megapolis.

As far as the buildup along I 85, is everyone forgetting Efland?

Old 07-06-2013, 11:14 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
People who I know who consider Richmond as part of the Megapolis do so because the gap north of Fredericksburg isn't too much anymore & the gap between Richmond & Fredericksburg has shrunk as well.
I'll agree that Richmond is trending towards inclusion, but it's not nearly as connected as the cities already in the corridor are.

Quote:
I brought up Woodstown because you asked about accommodations that one would expect in a suburban area. If you recall, the 2 biggest things in town are the Cowtown Rodeo & the Cowtown Flea Market. One of the townships in South Jersey was best known, until about 10 years ago, for pig farms & the pig farmers had contracts with the City of Philadelphia, for over 100 years, to pick up garbage to slop the hogs. Yet South Jersey is included in the megapolis.
I think it's included in more of an ancillary sense. For the most part, I just include the cities along the I-95 corridor.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:24 AM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
For the most part, Fredericksburg is the southern termination of the DC metro. Ashburn is the northern termination of Richmond's metro. As such, Caroline County is the only gap separating the two sprawling urban areas.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'll agree that Richmond is trending towards inclusion, but it's not nearly as connected as the cities already in the corridor are.

I think it's included in more of an ancillary sense. For the most part, I just include the cities along the I-95 corridor.
I'm certain that some people don't consider Richmond as part of the megapolis, but I'm trying to make a point here.

Part of it depends on your familiarity with the areas. That's a big part. The megapolis has been around for a very long time. I learned about it in geography class in the late 50s, in Michigan. When my family moved to South Jersey in 1964 I had expectations that did not include rural. Believe me, there was plenty of rural, more-so then than now, yet the megapolis existed.

I think that people are applying 2 different standards to the I 95 megapolis (which doesn't always follow I 95) & the Piedmont Crescent.

Last edited by southbound_295; 07-06-2013 at 11:50 AM..

Old 07-06-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
For the most part, Fredericksburg is the southern termination of the DC metro. Ashburn is the northern termination of Richmond's metro. As such, Caroline County is the only gap separating the two sprawling urban areas.
My point, exactly. If someone is familiar with Harford & Cecil County in MD, there really isn't a lot of difference.

Cecil County is part of the Philadelphia broadcast market & Harford is part of the Baltimore market. That isn't the way that a megapolis is determined. They are, however 2 adjacent counties with a whole lot of nothing except a few very small towns.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:07 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
I think the problem with this thread is the focus on America's Northeast corridor (BY FAR the most urbanized corridor in America). If the Northeast is the measuring stick for connectivity, then there is only one mega-region in this country. With any so-called mega-region, there will always be rural gaps between some developed areas. In NC, there are quite a few large rural gaps between Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle. IMO, I would not yet call NC's 3 largest a mega-region; my opinion could change in the distant future. However, a person very familiar with west coast driving probably would see NC as a mega-region. To illustrate this point, let's take a look at the CSAs of Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle vs some states out west.

Charlotte/Triad/Triangle CSAs
almost 17,000 sq/miles
almost 6 million people

Oklahoma
68,595 sq/miles
3.8 million people

Missouri
68,742 sq/miles
6 million people

Colorado
103,642 sq/miles
5.2 million people

Nevada
109,781 sq/miles
2.8 million people
^^^Charlotte's CSA alone almost rivals Nevada's entire population believe it or not...

Out west, California is the only state with a higher population density than NC. Even Texas is less dense than NC. In the south, only Virginia and Florida have greater densities than NC.

My point here is that the Northeast isn't the only measuring stick for development. By northeast standards, NC is quite rural. By west coast standards, NC isn't "rural" at all.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Does anyone have a national map of census urbanized areas that show the big picture?

Old 07-06-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I think the problem with this thread is the focus on America's Northeast corridor (BY FAR the most urbanized corridor in America). If the Northeast is the measuring stick for connectivity, then there is only one mega-region in this country. With any so-called mega-region, there will always be rural gaps between some developed areas. In NC, there are quite a few large rural gaps between Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle. IMO, I would not yet call NC's 3 largest a mega-region; my opinion could change in the distant future. However, a person very familiar with west coast driving probably would see NC as a mega-region. To illustrate this point, let's take a look at the CSAs of Charlotte, the Triad, and the Triangle vs some states out west.

Charlotte/Triad/Triangle CSAs
almost 17,000 sq/miles
almost 6 million people

Oklahoma
68,595 sq/miles
3.8 million people

Missouri
68,742 sq/miles
6 million people

Colorado
103,642 sq/miles
5.2 million people

Nevada
109,781 sq/miles
2.8 million people
^^^Charlotte's CSA alone almost rivals Nevada's entire population believe it or not...

Out west, California is the only state with a higher population density than NC. Even Texas is less dense than NC. In the south, only Virginia and Florida have greater densities than NC.

My point here is that the Northeast isn't the only measuring stick for development. By northeast standards, NC is quite rural. By west coast standards, NC isn't "rural" at all.
urban, look at the southern half of the megapolis. It's not the same as the northern half. If you use the standards of the southern half, it's much closer to what's in NC.

Old 07-06-2013, 01:36 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
urban, look at the southern half of the megapolis. It's not the same as the northern half. If you use the standards of the southern half, it's much closer to what's in NC.
You missed my point totally. The northern half of the "megapolis" is moot. It's one extreme variation of a totally different vibe that you will not find in the south. Pointing at the northeast then saying "NC isn't on THAT level" is like me pointing at Osaka, Japan then saying "the Northeast isn't on THAT level". The south developed at a different time and under different technology. I don't expect the same level of development from the two different regions and I never will.

However, I have seen more of this country than most folks, and I can tell you that the Northeast is just one extreme of a MUCH larger picture. Folks who are familiar with the west (not including California) would consider NC to be quite developed; even though NC lacks a tier 1 world class city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina