Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 09:22 AM

34,941 posts, read 36,413,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No outrage, just joy.
Because they are voting in line with your personal, religious beliefs. So, basically? You do not care about the US Constitution or the Supreme Court of the United States. Gotcha.

I hate to burst your fundie bubble, but this ridiculous law will not stop abortions. Take that up with the Supreme Court.

That this hateful piece of "legistation" was tacked onto an anti-Sharia law bill is irony at its finest.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:24 AM

606 posts, read 906,934 times
Just passed the senate 29-12.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterflies1375 View Post
Just passed the senate 29-12.
Yeah. I saw. This state is a national embarrassment.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:28 AM

606 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
Yeah. I saw. This state is a national embarrassment.
Agreed.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:36 AM

9,196 posts, read 25,006,908 times
Quote:
Because they are voting in line with your personal, religious beliefs.
But what is wrong with that? Personally, I favor the right of women to choose whether to have an abortion without government interference. But I do recognize that for some who oppose my view this is a very fundamental moral issue. I'm not offended by their view, I just don't happen to share it. The topic of abortion is a very value- and belief-driven issue on both sides.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:38 AM

387 posts, read 641,111 times
Hi, all. I haven't posted in a while, because I recently moved from NC to Colorado. But I still follow the news there, and have family members in the state.

I moved because of a job opportunity. It's worked out well, and I'm really enjoying life. But I will always love NC. And I have to say, the recent shenanigans of the legislature have made me terribly sad for NC. Many of the current legislators ran on a small government and more jobs platform. And I haven't seen either from this group. Just increasing restriction on individual freedoms, religious repression for those that may not be Christian, and considerable policy development that is damaging to women, the poor, children, and the elderly. This latest trick, of ramming through legislation without public notice by tacking it on to unrelated issues, and waiving rules to ensure passage is outrageous.

I always looked at my move from NC as one of necessity for my work. However, I do not see how, under this current administration, how I could have continued living there. Law after law have been proposed that would marginalize me, and my family. And this makes me unspeakably sad.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:39 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,054,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
If the Democrats pulled the same thing (and they have over the years) how many of you would complain? None. So take your faux outrage and put it somewhere else.
Uh ... I can guarantee that plenty would complain. My first thought was outrage that another state has joined the fundie brigade of suppressing the rights of women to determine their own destiny. Second: so what will be the next issue they'll try to pull this sh*t on?

This sort of underhanded politicking, no matter who practices it, is an erosion of the democratic process.

Old 07-03-2013, 09:57 AM

78 posts, read 127,729 times
I cannot believe the intolerance of these politicians. They are only in favor of supporting issues that uphold their male, WASP agenda. I guess McCrory really does want to treat us all like "customers"-ripping us off, and leaving a bad taste in our mouths. We will not be repeat customers there, pal!

Old 07-03-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
But what is wrong with that? Personally, I favor the right of women to choose whether to have an abortion without government interference. But I do recognize that for some who oppose my view this is a very fundamental moral issue. I'm not offended by their view, I just don't happen to share it. The topic of abortion is a very value- and belief-driven issue on both sides.
I respect their views. I would never force them to have an abortion. Or not to.

The topic may be an emotional one, but the only way to treat it fairly is in a fact-based, clinical manner.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM

34,230 posts, read 83,445,884 times
Quote:
I respect their views.
I don't.

I'll respect their RIGHT to have their views...
but so long as they are based on imposing them onto and into the lives of others...
their views don't warrant one bit of respect. From anyone.

Quote:
I would never force them to have an abortion. Or not to.
There ya go.

Quote:
The topic may be an emotional one...
Nope. I won't give them that.

The topic is thinly veiled (if at all) imposition of a religious dogma.
It doesn't have a place as the basis for public policy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina