Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 09:42 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,670,701 times

Advertisements

Despite criticizing how Senate Republicans pushed through a bill further restricting abortions in the state without public notice, Gov. Pat McCrory didn't indicate if he would veto the measure if it lands on his desk. The state House still would have to OK the bill before that.

McCrory stays mum on how he’d handle NC abortion bill | CharlotteObserver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 10:24 AM

43,519 posts, read 77,550,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Despite criticizing how Senate Republicans pushed through a bill further restricting abortions in the state without public notice, Gov. Pat McCrory didn't indicate if he would veto the measure if it lands on his desk. The state House still would have to OK the bill before that.

You just know some poor staffers worked through the parade calculating the 2016 re-election votes for either way he goes on it.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:48 AM

328 posts, read 769,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The entire continuum:
Sex Education --> Contraceptives --> RU486 --> Abortion Services
Free of charge to any one who might ask for them.

What? Why?
Because it would cost us LESS than what we allow ourselves to pay now to not do so.

Because dealing with the costs are the single largest hindrance to prompt...
(and it's the best use of public funds even if/when available HI might pay something)

The wealthier girls have options and have always had choice. ALWAYS.
Very few of them or others with HI or access to the ready cash would elect to use a free clinic.

But there are a lot of far too common situations where even these girls can't get to
the nicer private practices or other similar providers (overbearing parents, travel logistics, etc).

The poor don't have any of those options.

If the far more important goal of PROMPT is to mean anything...
then no one benefits by making an issue over a few hundred in facility fees.

And do bear in mind that in too many instances time really is critical.
Any action, limitation or hindrance only adds to the problem.

Because beyond the food, clothing and similar home expenses involved, the professional level of
prenatal care alone is about $2000 and the actual (uncomplicated) birth an easily be another $5000.
Who pays for this? Who pays for the next 18-20 years of dependent minor needs?

I'd almost rather provide them your Tesla than to be on the hook for these costs.

Are you getting it now? I hope so.

I would rep you a thousand times if I could, but apparently I have to spread the reputation around before passing any more onto you.

It's basic economics... something I have never understood why the "pro-embryo/fetus" group doesn't get. Prevent the pregnancies to begin with: THAT is the best way to reduce abortions and save your precious tax-payer money! Comprehensive sex education. FREE CONDOMS.

Nobody WANTS a late-term abortion. It's what someone does after they have exhausted all other options (the baby won't survive, the mother won't survive, the woman couldn't get assistance sooner for whatever reason). Who the %$#@ wants to be pregnant any longer than they have to be?

Last edited by redandorangeskittles; 07-05-2013 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: if men could get pregnant, there would be an abortion clinic in every gas station.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:25 AM

602 posts, read 576,110 times
Look on the bright side, if the Dems that controlled this state for so long weren't such utterly terrible people and politicians then we wouldn't get to see the continual leftie mod cut on the NC forum.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-05-2013 at 06:20 PM..

Old 07-05-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolymerMan View Post
Look on the bright side, if the Dems that controlled this state for so long weren't such utterly terrible people and politicians then we wouldn't get to see the continual mod cut on the NC forum.
Oh, fer cryin' out loud....

Both parties want to stroke their constituency.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-07-2013 at 04:25 PM.. Reason: orphan quote edited

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attrapereves View Post
I don't like abortion (does anyone?), but I also don't believe it should be made illegal. Frankly, it's none of my business, as a man, what a woman does with her body.
Unless, of course, it's your soon to be baby she's wanting to terminate.

I agree women should be able to get one (though most advocates use the whole "bc of rape and defects" line, which are most likely less than 10% of abortions).

Old 07-05-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Oh, fer cryin' out loud....

Both parties want to stroke their constituency. Vulgarity in response to screeching doesn't add to civil conversation.

Have you looked at the NC forum? (obviously facetious question) It reads like a comment section for the Huffington Post, Salon or MSNBC. Kind of hard to take any of it serious.

Do you think that's "adding to the civil conversation"? Plenty of vulgarity and screeching in multiple threads, drumming up "fear", etc.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:01 PM

Well HELP those people. Set a better example.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:09 PM

910 posts, read 1,323,065 times
Quote:

I would be lying if I said I didn't find it extremely amusing that the GA basically torpedoed his re-election chances this week. He can try to work out a deal where they'll agree to not override his veto or table it in exchange for getting the okay for some other social legislation. But after all the chicanery and drama in getting it this far, I'm not sure they can hold their egos in check. Plus, y'know there's the growing threat of Shakira Law which if left unchecked will destroy us all.

Tillis is probably sweating it just as hard since he'll have to run on that next year against Hagan.

mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 07-05-2013 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: sarcasm is trollish

Old 07-05-2013, 12:23 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,426,137 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter what McCrory does. Once the House approves it (highly unlikely there will be any other outcome) it's a done deal. The Governor does not need to sign it into law. It will be law even if he does nothing. In the unlikely event he were to veto it, the Republicans in the House and Senate just need a 3/5 majority to override any potential veto.

North Carolina General Assembly - Research Division
Quote:
In November 1996, the citizens of North Carolina voted to amend the State Constitution to allow for a gubernatorial veto (Section 22 of Article II of the North Carolina Constitution). All Public Bills other than bills making appointments, proposing constitutional amendments, or revising districts are presented to the Governor on the day following ratification for the Governor's approval or veto. If the Governor signs the bill or takes no action on the bill within ten days after presentation, the bill becomes law. After adjournment of the General Assembly, the Governor has 30 days to act on a bill. The Governor is required to reconvene the General Assembly if a bill is vetoed after adjournment, unless a written request is received and signed by a majority of the Members of both houses that it is not necessary to reconvene.

If the Governor vetoes a bill, the bill is returned to the original house where 3/5 of present and voting members can vote to override the veto. If the original house votes to override the veto, the bill is sent to the second house where 3/5 of present and voting members must also vote to override the veto before the bill can become law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina