Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 03:22 PM

910 posts, read 1,323,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
They deserve to be called clowns for how they handled the legislation...
I disagree with calling them clowns. Clowns have an actual skill set which provides a service to the community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2013, 03:27 PM

43,531 posts, read 77,570,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Well, Mike, I'm guessing that you are considerably younger than I am. My age can be accurately estimated from my posts in this thread.

The religious right has quite a long record on this topic. Our current tea-party legislature is 2nd or 3rd generation religious right-wing. Their mantra for 2 election cycles has been jobs, jobs, jobs. How's that going? This generation is legislating against women's health care, hoping for ignorance on the part of the general public, rather than to blow up clinics & kill their employees.

You may agree with them, & that's your right. However, don't forget that I had to explain to you that abortions are not the primary purpose of Planned Parenthood, & public money is not used for them.

Again, I will say that the names of every right-wing clown who voted for this is on record & I hope that the families of every woman who dies because she was not able to get cancer screening because of this sues them all.
I'm old enough.

Jobs?
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Sue?
They would lose.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:53 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I'm old enough.

Jobs?
Bureau of Labor Statistics Data

Sue?
They would lose.
Nice going. You showed the job gains under Bev's administration.

So far, absolutely nothing is going on concerning jobs that didn't start under Bev where I live. zero, zip, nada

This thread asks who is outraged by the state senate ramming this bill through without notice, knowing that the majority would not approve. It seems obvious to me that you are not outraged. But then it doesn't really concern you, does it? Oh, yeah, it does. This is something that will give people pause before moving here. As a realtor, this effects your business. You might not care about the negative effects of this bill on poor women, which is your right. However, if some of those women have a turn of fortune & are looking for a realtor, your name is tied to this, on the internet.

Old 07-07-2013, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Nice going. You showed the job gains under Bev's administration.

So far, absolutely nothing is going on concerning jobs that didn't start under Bev where I live. zero, zip, nada

This thread asks who is outraged by the state senate ramming this bill through without notice, knowing that the majority would not approve. It seems obvious to me that you are not outraged. But then it doesn't really concern you, does it? Oh, yeah, it does. This is something that will give people pause before moving here. As a realtor, this effects your business. You might not care about the negative effects of this bill on poor women, which is your right. However, if some of those women have a turn of fortune & are looking for a realtor, your name is tied to this, on the internet.
I showed the jobs chart. You questioned. I provided.
It is that sort of response that seems to "outrage" people, for some reason. Maybe they should "reflect" and "think."
"Outrage" is commonly an emotional response, kind of like the stress and pique you see throughout the thread when anyone does not slobber and embrace the scripts.

I tie my name to whatever I say anywhere on the internet, and think integrity demands as much. I always wonder about people who claim to have thoughts and beliefs, and then refuse to stand behind them. Facebook is a veritable disaster, but I admire the thought that people should put their names on their contentions.
I'm the guy who chastised the poster for vulgarity. And asked Sunny to remove his vulgarity from my quote. I don't mind having my name tied to that, either. Am I the only one on the thread who is not ashamed of decency?

I have mentioned twice that they did the wrong thing that night, but most of the anonymous (ashamed? trolling? multiple identities?) crowd is "outraged" because I don't fall into lockstep with their tired old scripts. Mea culpa, for thinking about things, rather than being a lackey or tool for corruption.
I have never said that anything that the legislature did last week was right. I did say I wrote a letter of protest to Pat McCrory. Do you need a copy?

Sheesh. People need to take a dog for a walk, or something....

Old 07-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
I showed the jobs chart. You questioned. I provided.
It is that sort of response that seems to "outrage" people, for some reason. Maybe they should "reflect" and "think."
"Outrage" is commonly an emotional response, kind of like the stress and pique you see throughout the thread when anyone does not slobber and embrace the scripts.

I tie my name to whatever I say anywhere on the internet, and think integrity demands as much. I always wonder about people who claim to have thoughts and beliefs, and then refuse to stand behind them. Facebook is a veritable disaster, but I admire the thought that people should put their names on their contentions.
I'm the guy who chastised the poster for vulgarity. And asked Sunny to remove his vulgarity from my quote. I don't mind having my name tied to that, either. Am I the only one on the thread who is not ashamed of decency?

I have mentioned twice that they did the wrong thing that night, but most of the anonymous (ashamed? trolling? multiple identities?) crowd is "outraged" because I don't fall into lockstep with their tired old scripts. Mea culpa, for thinking about things, rather than being a lackey or tool for corruption.
I have never said that anything that the legislature did last week was right. I did say I wrote a letter of protest to Pat McCrory. Do you need a copy?

Sheesh. People need to take a dog for a walk, or something....
I don't put my name online because I am a female with a very rare ethnic last name. It's only smart under the circumstances.

I got a very distinct picture of your attitude after explaining why closing down clinics affects women's health. You did not seem bothered by that. While women can do self exams at home for breast cancer, as I hope men do for prostate cancer, a trained medical professional will probably pick some thing up that might be missed in a home exam. However, pap smears need to be sent to a lab. The lab fees knock out many women from going to a private physician.

Closing down those clinics means that many women will not get these cancer screenings. Voting to close those clinics shows a blatant disregard for women's health. Ignorance on the part of the legislators is not an excuse. Would a lawsuit fail against them? There's a good chance that it would not.

While I am no longer personally effected by this, I care very much about this topic because I remember what the world was like for women before Roe.

I believe that the Republicans have launched an assault on women. I wish it was different, but that's how I see it. I can not bring myself to vote for another Republican until they back off on this. Didn't the Republicans find out that this attitude doesn't endear them to women last year?

Oh that's right, the Republicans made out well last year in NC because of what I thought were very under-handed tactics. I kept getting mailings from the NC Republican party telling me that all of the Democrats were against traditional marriage. Cut me a break.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:30 PM

Quote:
I don't put my name online because I am a female with a very rare ethnic last name. It's only smart under the circumstances.

I got a very distinct picture of your attitude after explaining why closing down clinics affects women's health. You did not seem bothered by that. While women can do self exams at home for breast cancer, as I hope men do for prostate cancer, a trained medical professional will probably pick some thing up that might be missed in a home exam. However, pap smears need to be sent to a lab. The lab fees knock out many women from going to a private physician.

Closing down those clinics means that many women will not get these cancer screenings. Voting to close those clinics shows a blatant disregard for women's health. Ignorance on the part of the legislators is not an excuse. Would a lawsuit fail against them? There's a good chance that it would not.

While I am no longer personally effected by this, I care very much about this topic because I remember what the world was like for women before Roe.

I believe that the Republicans have launched an assault on women. I wish it was different, but that's how I see it. I can not bring myself to vote for another Republican until they back off on this. Didn't the Republicans find out that this attitude doesn't endear them to women last year?

Oh that's right, the Republicans made out well last year in NC because of what I thought were very under-handed tactics. I kept getting mailings from the NC Republican party telling me that all of the Democrats were against traditional marriage. Cut me a break.
I accept that you won't be linked to your posts. Everyone has their reasons. You seem to think I should place more limits on my integrity because I am linked to my posts. I disagree.

So, it is a test of squealing in "outrage." And, my expressions of disagreement with the legislature are not shrill enough?
I think your concern in your post was legitimate. Did I have to slobber and drool in "outrage" to be believable?

Old 07-07-2013, 05:32 PM

4,649 posts, read 6,521,689 times
southbound, I don't see how anyone outside of perhaps New England who is not a member of the religious right or Tea Party would even consider voting Republican. People are acting like they are shocked that the Republicans in NC are wacko jihadists and corporatists, but weren't they paying attention all these years?

Old 07-07-2013, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
southbound, I don't see how anyone outside of perhaps New England who is not a member of the religious right or Tea Party would even consider voting Republican. People are acting like they are shocked that the Republicans in NC are wacko jihadists and corporatists, but weren't they paying attention all these years?
I'll be honest, I cast votes for both parties in 2010. I was irritated last year & paid very close attention. I didn't like what I heard. I was appalled by the dog-whistle mailings. When I heard McCrory pledge to not veto what was sent to him, I knew I could not vote for him. For the 1st time in my life I voted a straight ticket, & it was Democratic.

Old 07-07-2013, 07:09 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,060,915 times
Quote:
Actually, Mikey, I read your post a couple of times before offering alternative wisdom for consideration.
You did NOT say "legislation." You said "politics." Clearly. If your goal is that you would like to spur a specific inference, you might do well to cite YOUR error, and to correct your implication, not the inference your words spur.
I don't see any benefit to calling them "clowns." What they did is clearly wrong at least for being sneaky, and middle school rhetoric won't correct it or bring others to your way of thought.
Mike - I don't see any "alternate wisdom" in your many argumentative mini threads within this thread. You seem hell bent on mocking others for faux outrage - I don't believe anyone you're arguing with here even hinted at being "outraged". I'm certainly not outraged and losing sleep over this - but I do feel these "politicians" should be taken to task for terrible governing. It's BAU as far as I can tell for this political machine and one hopes it will all be remembered come election time. I will.

You're also way out on this "script" and "government as a deity"... which frankly reminds me of a Mel Gibson-esque conspiracy type film - I mean whoa dude.

It's our right to call these people out - middle school names even... and that's protected. I don't expect that what I write here will change anything - yet you seem tied to words on an anonymous forum as important. No idea why.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
I accept that you won't be linked to your posts. Everyone has their reasons. You seem to think I should place more limits on my integrity because I am linked to my posts. I disagree.

So, it is a test of squealing in "outrage." And, my expressions of disagreement with the legislature are not shrill enough?
I think your concern in your post was legitimate. Did I have to slobber and drool in "outrage" to be believable?
I'm not looking for faux outrage. However, concern might have been a nice touch when I pointed out that Planned Parenthood's main mission is not abortions & that closing clinics would deprive poor & uninsured women of cancer screenings.

A decent job would go a long way toward helping those women, but what do they get? Higher taxes & no clinics. . .well a whole one clinic for the whole state. That's as good as no clinics in a state this big.

If you think that I'm slobbering & drooling, that's your business. This is something that I've cared about very much for over 40 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina