Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,710,256 times

Advertisements

The "Commonsense Consumption Act" makes clear local governments can't pass ordinances like one passed in New York City prohibiting the sale of large soft drinks.

North Carolina companies that manufacture, advertise or distribute food could soon have additional legal protections from lawsuits by people claiming their products led to their obesity.

The House voted 99-16 Tuesday in favor of minor Senate changes to legislation barring civil actions on claims that long-term consumption of food or drinks led to excessive weight gain and health problems. Gov. Pat McCrory next gets the legislation for his signature to become law.

North Carolina is one of handful of states that follows the tort of contributory negligence, in which a plaintiff recovers nothing even if only slightly to blame for what happened.

There is some good legislation that come out. just like the name states common sense.
I grew up when 3 liters was common and remain thin proabably because I exercise, personal responsibility is the key.
I think it ludicrous to ban or restrict when someone lacks responsibilty to take care of them self.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 10:39 AM

34,261 posts, read 83,535,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The "Commonsense Consumption Act" makes clear local governments can't pass ordinances
(no matter how much raw sense they might make) like one passed in New York City prohibiting
the sale of large soft drinks.

North Carolina companies that manufacture, advertise or distribute (just about anything like f'rinstance
cigarettes
) could soon have additional legal protections from lawsuits by people claiming their products
led to their (health issues).
Next step is for national laws to ban their sale.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:45 AM

910 posts, read 1,324,221 times
The NYC ban was dumb anyway because it didn't cover bodegas and convenience stores, just food carts and venue purchases.

Sucks the corn lobby has all those taxpayer subsidies which they in turn use to buy the legislature; soda made with actual sugar is so much better and triggers a satiety response far sooner- the overconsumption problem would fix itself if we went back to real soda.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:41 PM

109 posts, read 200,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I grew up when 3 liters was common and remain thin proabably because I exercise, personal responsibility is the key.
I think it ludicrous to ban or restrict when someone lacks responsibilty to take care of them self.
I completely forgot about 3 liter sodas....

I definitely agree with your last point.

Old 07-10-2013, 05:31 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,631,185 times
When big tobacco was felled it was only a matter of time before the food industry would be next. I actually agree with this bill.

BTW, anyone notice tobacco ads popping up in magazines?

Old 07-10-2013, 08:58 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,794,106 times
I'm confused over the thread title. Who can't so because who is obese?

Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
I'm confused over the thread title...
Big sugar and big tobacco got to the NCGA.

No one is surprised.. just disappointed another issue is added to the list.
Attending to GA business that actually needs doing would just be so refreshing.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:01 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,415,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Pederman View Post
The NYC ban was dumb anyway because it didn't cover bodegas and convenience stores, just food carts and venue purchases.

Sucks the corn lobby has all those taxpayer subsidies which they in turn use to buy the legislature; soda made with actual sugar is so much better and triggers a satiety response far sooner- the overconsumption problem would fix itself if we went back to real soda.
"If we went back to real soda" huh? Well, cocaine does promote weight loss with many of its users...

Why We Took Cocaine Out of Soda - James Hamblin - The Atlantic

Old 07-11-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
"If we went back to real soda" huh? Well...
real sugar vs cornsyrup

U.S. Sugar Program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_f...rup_and_health

Old 07-11-2013, 10:35 AM

7,084 posts, read 12,415,176 times
^^^I get that, but you're now getting into a debate that has a lot more to do with big oil and the profits off of ethanol than most people know.

As for sugar vs cornsyrup, the argument is moot to me. I stand at nearly 6ft 5 inches tall, I weigh 205.6 pounds as of this morning, I'm a male in my 30s, and I consume sugar/cornsyrup. In fact, I find them BOTH to be quite delicious.

In my opinion, the real problem with obesity worldwide is the lack of exercise due to our technological advances. I'll give you a perfect example. On a normal day, I work and try to get in a pick-up game of basketball at an outdoor court (not an easy task with all of the recent rain, but I do what I can). When I find a group of guys playing, I'm almost-always the oldest (or one of the oldest) guys in the group. It's sad when a guy coming up on only 33 years old is the oldest guy on the court hooping it up. Most of the guys in my peer group are either playing videos games or looking for a new and "TRENDY!!!" restaurant to try out (trendy as in unhealthy/tasty food and good brew; both of which goes straight to the belly).

Most experts agree that obesity has a lot to do with an individual's lifestyle. Many working adults live for the next brewery and/or restaurant (which validates what the experts say about lifestyle choices). I know of many folks who become depressed if they don't get their daily fix on doughnuts, coffee, bagels, and brew. I personally consume not-so-healthy things too, but I don't live for them. It won't kill me if I go a day or two without something sweet. Some days, I only want water and salads. Then there are those other days when I want Burger King, Chicken Coop, or Bad Daddy's. The latter is NOT an everyday thing for me though. 4 days a week is when I do the latter, but I also exercise at least 4 days a week too (which makes a huge difference).

I know this next statement might sound a bit mean, but understand that I used to weight nearly 260 pounds myself. Obesity is by far the most deadliest choice-driven illness known to man. It really is. Back when I was tipping the scale at 260-270 lbs (this was only 6 years ago) I had no control over my diet and my exercise habits. I worked, I watched TV, I stuffed my face, then I went to sleep. This was my routine 5-6 days out of the week. Maybe 2-3 times per month I'd play basketball, but I'd stop as soon as the sweat started (the part of the exercise that I actually needed the most). Due to my height, I carried the weight well so it didn't bother me as far as looks go. However, my feet and my legs felt it (especially when I just woke up). That's the first sign; feet that hurt just from the weight of your own body.

Today, I'm older and I can run circles around the guy I once was. There is no law that could have done for me what I finally decided to do for myself. If the government banned pop, brew, and fried food; people with over-eating problems would just stuff their faces with something else. That's what the old me would have done. Ban my burgers (the old me), heck I'd just eat 3 salads with tons of bleu cheese dressing instead then wash them down with a 2 liter diet Coke (which is just as unhealthy as that one cheese burger and small regular Coke would have been). It's all about personal choices, and that's something that the old me didn't have the will power to control. Instead of banning certain foods and drinks, why not pour more money into the research of food addiction. That was my problem. I was a food addict. I didn't eat when I was hungry, I ate simply because I wanted something tasty. Often times when I ate, I'd just ate something already. I honestly was addicted to the act of eating. It wasn't until I broke the habit of eating "all of the time" that I actually got down to a normal weight for my age and height.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina