Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 02:19 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,887,189 times

Advertisements

Can't believe no one mentioned UNCW...Wilmington is where you will be on the weekends if you go to a Triangle school anyway, might as well skip the middle man.

ECU also has a very good Public Administration program and is very fun college town, not far from the beach as well (easy access to Outer Banks).

You have to like the weather and be the mountain type to like App IMO. And some of the older folks may not realize that getting into Duke or UNC grad schools is next to impossible these days...I know lots of UNC grads with 3.5 GPA's and better that couldn't get into UNC Med or law schools and went to Campbell, ECU or Wake Forest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 02:30 PM

77 posts, read 188,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Can't believe no one mentioned UNCW...Wilmington is where you will be on the weekends if you go to a Triangle school anyway, might as well skip the middle man.

ECU also has a very good Public Administration program and is very fun college town, not far from the beach as well (easy access to Outer Banks).

You have to like the weather and be the mountain type to like App IMO.
Most Triangle students, especially grad students who aren't living on mom & dad's dime, do NOT spend their weekends in Wilmington. Sure, maybe a beach weekend 2-3 times a year, but it's 2 hours away, not the next town over.

Also, my brother just got his masters degree in accounting at ECU and my other brother just spent his summer there for an intensive pre-med program. Both of them hated Greenville and I can't say I was too impressed when I visited. This is not a review of ECU, but of Greenville. It's not the worst place on earth, but it was like a more run-down Wilmington with no beach nearby. Flat and ugly, IMO. Definitely visit any of the towns before you commit. I know I would have been miserable in Greenville for 2 years.

And as someone with a similar out-of-state graduate degree (urban planning), go to the school that gives you the most money. If I had to do grad school all over again, I would have stayed in science and gotten my degree paid for instead of taking out loans.

Old 07-18-2013, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 5,507 times
Thank you for the responses. Taking Boone out of the equation, for those of you who live in NC, how would you pit Raleigh and the "Triangle Region" against Charlotte?

Also, anyone know much about UNCC?

Thanks!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:52 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,876,866 times
Obviously, you need to see what grad school you get accepted into before worrying about what town it's in. Duke and UNC are the highest-ranked in the state, which you probably knew.

As for a "FUN city"--having been to graduate school, I don't think you will have nearly as much time for "FUN" as you might imagine.

Quote:
Also, anyone know much about UNCC?
Thank goodness for The Internet.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thank goodness for [URL="http://www.uncc.edu/"
The Internet[/url].
You really think that wasnt the first thing I looked to?? I am trying to discover information that cannot be found on the schools website from, hence why I am using this forum. But thanks anyways.

And yes this may be premature since I have yet to apply to these schools, I just want to get some information beforehand so that when the time comes I can make a good decision.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,234,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i don't have a problem with it, I just don't regard it as a great school.
Try going to UNC or Duke for Architecture......
Enough with the haughty snobbery already!

Old 07-18-2013, 09:05 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,357,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
Try going to UNC or Duke for Architecture......
Enough with the haughty snobbery already!
Yep. And all those who head to NCSU from other countries for the engineering program aren't exactly stupid.

Old 07-20-2013, 01:18 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,536,600 times
2012 Rankings MPA -- place NCSU and UNC-Charlotte at about the same rank:

#16 Duke
#23 UNC-CH
#53 NCSU (tied with Brown and Georgia Tech for MPA)
#59 UNC-Charlotte
#104 UNC-G
#121 UNC-W
#138 Appalachian
#149 East Carolina

Best Public Affairs Programs | Top Public Affairs Schools | US News Graduate Schools

I have attended NCSU, UNC-CH, and App -- but all more than 10 years ago. My sister went to UNC-Charlotte. I no longer live in NC so can't answer most of your questions.

Networking/job opportunities -- you should call up the programs and ask them directly. You can also ask to speak with current graduate students by phone or email -- I did this before attending a graduate program. I imagine the larger universities would offer much better networking, and the degree would be more recognizable out of NC. If I were making this decison, I would email each program and ask specific questions about networking/contacts, mentoring, assistance with job placement, success of graduates, etc... I would also apply to all of them and see which provides the best aid package. The last thing I would take into consideration is the actual town. But of the areas you mention, I think the Triangle is the most cerebral, fun, and internationally diverse.

Old 07-20-2013, 04:18 AM

16,777 posts, read 8,257,165 times
I have 2 family members who did Grad work at UNC Chapel Hill and NCSU in Raleigh, house divided and all, the one who grad. from State is working while the Chapel Hill grad is still looking.
Raleigh turned out to be the better move as overall cost was lower and results turned out better.

Old 07-20-2013, 08:47 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,234,559 times
FWIW, NC State is just west of DT Raleigh while UNC-Charlotte is in a much more suburban location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina