Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 11:01 AM

4 posts, read 5,493 times

Advertisements

I will be graduating in December from Binghamton University in New York State. I am looking to move to NC for Graduate school (pursuing an MPA-Masters in Public Administration). My girlfriend works in public relations and will be moving down to NC with me.

I am looking for the best schools in NC (right now on my list are NC State, Appalachian State, and UNC Charlotte) that are also located in areas where there is:

fun stuff to do for young adults
relatively low cost rent for apartments
friendly, caring people
Networking and job opportunities
good economy
Awesome food

There are obvious differences between a Charlotte/ Raleigh vs a Boone, but I am looking for advice from NC residents who know all of the areas mentioned.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2013, 12:12 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
I'd say Duke and UNC are the only GREAT schools in North Carolina.

Lower your standards to GOOD and maybe you'll have an easier time.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:31 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Durham has been rated a best city for foodies, so I would say that "awesome food" could be found there. Your criteria, however, are probably in inverse proportion to the cost of living.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:38 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbound44 View Post
I will be graduating in December from Binghamton University in New York State.
I am looking to move to NC for Graduate school...
Why? And why in this sequence?

How about applying for the best grad program you can get into...
and then making the nest of life wherever that may be for 2 years?

Old 07-18-2013, 12:39 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
I don't know what Le Roi's problem with NC State is. That's a great school too, unless you just need to have a basketball team that gets accolades. It seems to fit all your other requirements. Good food and reasonable rents can be found in Raleigh.

Old 07-18-2013, 12:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Why? And why in this sequence?

How about applying for the best grad program you can get into...
and then making the nest of life wherever that may be for 2 years?
You didn't ask for this advice, but I tend to agree with MrRational... quality of education should be first priority and quality of life secondary. After all, it's only 2 years. Your degree is for the rest of your life. Yes, I'm afraid I sound like the old person I am.

Appalachian is a very good school, but Boone does not equal low rent, especially since you're not going to be bunking in with 4 or 5 other students. Not only do you have to factor in cost of student rentals, but also the impact of tourism and second homes on the local real estate market. Of the three places you mentioned, Boone would have the least opportunity for local networking and job prospects for your girlfriend.

Last edited by roadpony; 07-18-2013 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 01:05 PM

4 posts, read 5,493 times
I guess I should rephrase my description, this is my first post so bear with me.

The order of importance in my choosing a Grad school is as follows:

1. Quality of education.
2. Price of Education
3. Cost of Living
4. Job prospects (for me and the gf)
5. and then all the fun stuff (food, nightlife, etc.)

To narrow the focus of this thread, I would like to know the difference between the following in terms of what the reputation is of both the school and the city.

Raleigh-NC State
Charlotte- UNC Charlotte
Boone- Appalachian St.

As well as any other schools of high caliber that I have not mentioned yet would fit in this list.

*I am intentionally leaving out UNC Chapel Hill because it I understand it is probably the best school out of the bunch but at the same time is more difficult to get into*

Old 07-18-2013, 01:25 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
I don't know what Le Roi's problem with NC State is.
i don't have a problem with it, I just don't regard it as a great school.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:35 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Based on what your girlfriend does, I'd suggest that she apply for jobs in Charlotte, Raleigh, & Philadelphia & you should add U of P to your list. See where she can get a job, then go for the school.

Old 07-18-2013, 01:52 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,529,957 times
Thanks for the clarification - we didn't mean to be too hard on you. I did the MPA program at Chapel Hill, but it was many years ago. I haven't kept up with the reputations of MPA programs in NC for a long time. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina