Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will high-tech companies and techies leave (or not locate to) North Carolina because of the turn th
Yes 37 45.12%
No 45 54.88%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 03:33 PM

352 posts, read 552,811 times

Advertisements

"..never really having had any significant management experience.."

Umm, you have absolutely zero knowledge of how many years of management experience I've had. Are you stroking out? You may want to go somewhere and take some deep breaths.

On weekends, I visit my college educated relatives in Raleigh and Charlotte and hear them talk about how the GOP is destroying the state. I also visit my relatives in doublewide trailers in the middle of nowhere NC, listen to them talk about how Obama is destroying the country, am guaranteed to hear them drop the n-word bomb multiple times and have gone riding on four wheelers with them. Trust me, I'm intimately aware of the duality of North Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 04:33 PM

2,991 posts, read 4,307,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
"..never really having had any significant management experience.."

Umm, you have absolutely zero knowledge of how many years of management experience I've had.
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you -- I was just going by what you reported:

Quote:
. . . have been a software engineer, network administrator, database admin, data analyst . . .
None of these is a management job in any meaningful sense. People in jobs like these are not involved in decisions concerning where a high-tech enterprise will locate, whether it will hire, whether it will expand, or whether local politics are acceptable or not. Such people do not make policy, set direction, or have any special insight into corporate operations. In reality these jobs are pretty much low-level techie stuff.

Quote:

On weekends, I visit my college educated relatives in Raleigh and Charlotte and hear them talk about how the GOP is destroying the state. I also visit my relatives in doublewide trailers in the middle of nowhere NC, listen to them talk about how Obama is destroying the country . . .
Interesting symmetry, don't you think?

Quote:
Are you stroking out? You may want to go somewhere and take some deep breaths.
good grief . . .

Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM

VaSpaceMan: ".. I have been a software engineer, network administrator, database admin, data analyst"
Hamish: "In reality these jobs are pretty much low-level techie stuff."
:^) This is really degrading into ridiculousness. I'm seriously going to forward this idiocy to friends at Microsoft and Apple who do these jobs, they will definitely have a good laugh at you.

Hamish:"None of these is a management job in any meaningful sense."
Perhaps you missed the part where I clearly wrote I'm currently a program manager. You really need to work on reading comprehension. I've also been a project manager and a team lead.

Look, I'm not an unreasonable guy, ok?
I'm tired of my region of the country being the laughing stock of the country and world.
There are literally thousands of square miles of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi that has been practicing your particular brand of ideology for a long time and would welcome you with open arms. Please just leave Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond and Austin for us, okay? So southerners don't have to go west and north? Places where young educated southerners can live and be proud of?
Think it over and have a nice weekend :^)

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-16-2013 at 07:03 PM..

Old 08-16-2013, 07:59 PM

1,445 posts, read 2,331,882 times
Quote:
Please just leave Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond and Austin for us, okay? So southerners don't have to go west and north? Places where young educated southerners can live and be proud of?
Are you implying there aren't young, educated Southerners that are proud of where they're from?

Old 08-16-2013, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austincool View Post
Are you implying there aren't young, educated Southerners that are proud of where they're from?
@Autincool Absolutely not. I was being a bit silly here.
My point is that southerners have some cities that we can truly be proud of. It would be nice if they weren't ruined.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:37 AM

Quote:
VaSpaceMan: ".. I have been a software engineer, network administrator, database admin, data analyst"
:^) This is really degrading into ridiculousness. I'm seriously going to forward this idiocy to friends at Microsoft and Apple who do these jobs, they will definitely have a good laugh at you.

Perhaps you missed the part where I clearly wrote I'm currently a program manager. You really need to work on reading comprehension. I've also been a project manager and a team lead.
Yes, I read about being a project manager (team leader being management? c'mon . . .). At one point in my career I had more than 200 projects under my purview. Never -- not once -- was I called upon to make any decisions regarding the issues you have raised in this thread regarding local politics. But about high-level stuff -- high-level techie jobs are Chief Scientist, Director of Research, and so forth, not the kinds of things you have mentioned.

Quote:

I'm tired of my region of the country being the laughing stock of the country and world.
There are literally thousands of square miles of Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Mississippi that has been practicing your particular brand of ideology for a long time and would welcome you with open arms. Please just leave Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta, Richmond and Austin for us, okay? So southerners don't have to go west and north? Places where young educated southerners can live and be proud of?
As far as educated southerners leaving Raleigh -- well, my young friend, I am a native-born southerner who has a PhD in engineering (be that education, or be it training), and I have lived here, and worked here in high-tech, including high-tech management, longer than you have been alive. What I am telling you, based on this experience, is that the premise of your thread is just silly. Nothing of any consequence is going to happen as a result of the recent changes in our legislature. You personally may not like the changes (I don't either, as I mentioned earlier), that's all. Big deal . . .

By the way, look at the results from your own poll, which right now are 29-to-18 against your position (too small to be of any significance, of course, but interesting nevertheless),

Last edited by Hamish Forbes; 08-17-2013 at 04:49 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 05:59 AM

I would like to make only one more comment in this thread, if I may:

Sometimes it helps to know history. RTP was conceived with a mission to provide employment to bright North Carolinians who were forced to leave the state because of sparse opportunity. As most of us know, RTP has been a great success, and is now the largest research campus in the world.

But look at the culture of the area when the park was conceived in 1954. Raleigh schools and Wake County schools were separate and we had, in effect, a third school system for Blacks completely segregated. This persisted through the rise of the park, ending only about 1972. It made no difference. Drivers entering Smithfield in nearby Johnston County on US 70 were greeted by a large billboard announcing "Welcome to Smithfield, home of the Ku Klux Klan." It made no difference. One of the first major tenants of RTP was NIEHS, a large Federal lab. This came as the result of a deal between Governor Sanford and then-presidential-candidate John Kennedy, who gave us the lab (his promise was honored later by LBJ) despite our so-called "backward culture," which made no difference. Another of the first major tenants was IBM. One condition that IBM imposed for coming to the park was that I-40 be extend to Raleigh and another condition was that they have a railroad spur -- no conditions were imposed regarding cultural matters or local government, which made no difference.

What did make a difference were the three universities, cheap labor, low taxes, minimal regulation, and no unions.

End of sermon.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:44 AM

1,110 posts, read 1,981,024 times
Quote:

I'm with you on that! It's about time the south as a whole get over the Civil War and catch up with the rest of the country! I always chuckle when some of these folks yelling that we need to "Take Our Country Back" because I know what they mean when say that nonsense, we need to reclaim this country back from people who don't look like us, talk like us, or act like us! If the south continues to have that mentality, it will continue to fall further behind the rest of the country!

Old 08-17-2013, 07:54 AM

Hamish - "..and I have lived here, and worked here in high-tech, including high-tech management, longer than you have been alive."

This is quite the assumption to make.

Hamish - "What I am telling you, based on this experience, is that the premise of your thread is just silly. Nothing of any consequence is going to happen as a result of the recent changes in our legislature."

Time will tell. I'm aware of some teachers who've had enough and are leaving the state.
My point is that there is much more to making a place a great place to live than the simplistic arithmetic of low taxes. I'm personally pulling for Raleigh and hope that it doesn't get so bad that people abandon the state.

Last edited by VASpaceMan; 08-17-2013 at 08:29 AM..

Old 08-17-2013, 09:53 AM

Hamish: "Sometimes it helps to know history..."

Thanks for the history lesson.
The cities that are doing really well in the south like Raleigh/Durham/CH, Richmond, Atlanta, Austin are all pools of blue in oceans of red. I'd be very interested in hearing your explanation of this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina