Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM

875 posts, read 1,165,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoir View Post
But they are not executive assistants. They are "chief policy advisor" and "communications director". They've been made executives even though they have minimal work experience and no background in health care.
I didn't say executive assistants, I said executive support, there is a difference. Even so, executive assistants can make some good money depending on who they work for.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 08-17-2013 at 06:32 AM.. Reason: edited to keep discussion on topic and North Carolina
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2013, 10:42 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
Actually those salaries are in line with executive support positions in the private sector. It makes sense you would pay extra to keep people from leaving but it doesn't look good. However he's just imitating Obama so the progressives shouldn't complain.
I was unaware that NC had privatized its government.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:15 AM

3,872 posts, read 4,294,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_whatever View Post
I was unaware that NC had privatized its government.
This is a prime example of the hypocrisy of the current McCrory administration. How can you justify paying inexperienced interns these types of salaries? And rub it in the face of state workers...so much for the "small" gubment soap box.

Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM

90 posts, read 119,293 times
If a kid came into your office with an English degree and one year of work experience, would you hire them to be the state's chief health policy advisor? If you're pat mccrory, apparently the answer is yes. He even went on tv and claimed that the poor fella was being discriminated against because of his age gee I dunno pat, maybe it was his complete lack of experience instead...

Old 08-17-2013, 08:26 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,330,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnoir View Post
If a kid came into your office with an English degree and one year of work experience, would you hire them to be the state's chief health policy advisor? If you're pat mccrory, apparently the answer is yes. He even went on tv and claimed that the poor fella was being discriminated against because of his age gee I dunno pat, maybe it was his complete lack of experience instead...
I think that is the real issue. The pay is right for the position, but the person and the experience that person has is not a good match at all for a position of this nature.

Both parties are guilty of this, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow and it just plain looks REALLY bad.

Old 08-17-2013, 02:43 PM

34,941 posts, read 36,354,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I think that is the real issue. The pay is right for the position, but the person and the experience that person has is not a good match at all for a position of this nature.

Both parties are guilty of this, but it doesn't make it any easier to swallow and it just plain looks REALLY bad.
Yeah... I won't argue with the pay FOR THE POSITION. Just not that much pay for someone with little to no experience.

If McCrory wants to pay a woman who is about 10 years older and and has 15 years of executive administrative experience 52k a year to book his appointments, I'm not gonna tell him that's a crazy salary.

For a kid with no experience? This is still public sector work. I am thinking a penny over 30k is extreme.

Last edited by RedZin; 08-17-2013 at 05:03 PM..

Old 08-17-2013, 06:42 PM

3,872 posts, read 4,294,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post

But the GOP claims to be the party of small gubment and fiscal responsibility. I agree, anything over 40k for degree and years of experience in this case is a slap in the face of other highly qualified candidates. I don't think McCrory has a handle on what's happening around him. I actually had higher expectations out of him, he seems a bit off balance and out of his league in Raleigh at the moment. He's heading down the Perdue road...one and done.

And the cookie incident? He's functioning like a small town (Mayberry) mayor, not the governor of a state of nearly 10 million people....get a grip on things.

Old 08-18-2013, 09:21 AM

7,836 posts, read 4,589,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
I don't think McCrory has a handle on what's happening around him. I actually had higher expectations out of him, he seems a bit off balance and out of his league in Raleigh at the moment.
The guy is smart and a political pro. He knows exactly what he's doing. Don't mistake tone deafness with patronage and having little regard for those not subscribing to his agenda.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:46 PM

1,120 posts, read 1,216,383 times
Meanwhile, they've increased the number of patronage positions from 400 to 1,500. You can expect a lot more favors being repaid by hiring people into jobs they aren't qualified for and paying them a lot more than their predecessors.

Old 08-22-2013, 02:07 PM

15,358 posts, read 12,685,180 times
24 year old making 87K? I bet you these kids are the sons and daughters of big donors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina