Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2013, 10:36 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,542,819 times

Advertisements

North Carolina has three main distinctions: the mountains, the Piedmont, and the coastal plain. A friend of mine argued that North Carolina has nothing appealing in the middle (Piedmont), by stating, the mountains have Mitchell, and Grandfather, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Coastal plain have the largest sounds in the country, Cape Hatteras, jockey's ridge, and that tall lighthouse.
But what about the Piedmont? We didn't consider cities. We only debated the makeup of the state. The only answer I came up with was Lake Norman, but he told me after some hesitation, okay.
Can you think of some cool spots in the Piedmont?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2013, 11:04 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,584,449 times
Ithink there is a lot of natural beauty in Piedmont, just it can be taken for granted. My two favorite places are Hanging Rock and Pilot Mountain. I would add Morrow Mountain but it so wooded that it hard to enjoy its views but it is part of one of oldest mountains the Uwharrie.
There is only a few natural lakes in the state so I dont consider them natural.
The rolling hills and the foot hills with beautiful landscape with it lush trees help add beauty in middle of the state.

Old 09-01-2013, 11:13 AM

601 posts, read 966,308 times
The North Carolina Zoo is the largest walk-through zoo in the world
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden
Reed Gold Mine in Midland
The Uwharrie National Forest and the Uwharrie Mountains

Old 09-01-2013, 08:01 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,375,154 times
I think the mountains and the coast are the clear winners when it comes to spectacular scenic beauty. No question about it, but the piedmont does have some very nice, pleasant places. The state parks are a good place to start. Here in the Triangle there's the Eno River State Park and Umstead State Park which are both gems. The Uwharries are another nice location.

Old 09-01-2013, 08:14 PM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,669,613 times
www.northcarolinaparks.gov

www.stateparks.com

Last edited by NCN; 09-01-2013 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-01-2013, 09:31 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,588,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
North Carolina has three main distinctions: the mountains, the Piedmont, and the coastal plain. A friend of mine argued that North Carolina has nothing appealing in the middle (Piedmont), by stating, the mountains have Mitchell, and Grandfather, and the Blue Ridge Parkway. The Coastal plain have the largest sounds in the country, Cape Hatteras, jockey's ridge, and that tall lighthouse.
But what about the Piedmont? We didn't consider cities. We only debated the makeup of the state. The only answer I came up with was Lake Norman, but he told me after some hesitation, okay.
Can you think of some cool spots in the Piedmont?
What is considered a cool spot?

Old 09-01-2013, 09:34 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,169,658 times
Yep, there are tons of great natural areas in between the mountains and the coast. A few more to add to those mentioned above:

--The numerous large lakes such as Gaston, Kerr, High Rock, Randleman, Falls, Jordan, Tillery, etc.
--Many rivers and tributaries, including the Yadkin, Catawba, Neuse, Lumber, Roanoke, Cape Fear, and Tar rivers, among others.
--The Sandhills in Scotland, Moore, and Richmond counties, with numerous small, secluded ponds and lakes, and large tracts of wooded areas.
--The Coastal Plains swamps, filled with wildlife and natural beauty.
--The Pee Dee National Wildlife Refuge.
--Many old mill ponds like Yates in Wake County and Merchants in Gates County.
--The Carolina Bays in the southeastern part of the state.
--Bladen Lakes State Forest
--Occoneechee Mountain State Natural Area in Durham Co.

Old 09-01-2013, 09:51 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,984,264 times
Perspective depends on where you're from, too. Floridians sometimes comment that they think the mountains are too windy and roads too tricky to live there, so they relocate to the piedmont instead. Most of the major cities and interstate access is in the piedmont, as well as major malls, Carowinds, etc. The piedmont is more of a man-made set of destinations like parks and lakes, but it is where most of the people do live after all.

Old 09-02-2013, 06:35 AM

1,546 posts, read 1,542,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
What is considered a cool spot?
I think that's subjective! Cool could mean "popular," or cool could mean, a desired destination.

Old 09-02-2013, 01:34 PM

7,080 posts, read 12,369,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
The only answer I came up with was Lake Norman, but he told me after some hesitation, okay.
Lake Norman is man-made, but it's still a cool area of Mecklenburg county.

http://bestrealestatelakenorman.com/...e-Bucket-2.jpg

http://lakenormanwaterfrontrealestat...Cornelius-.jpg

http://nadineroberts.featuredblog.co...3/IMG_9513.jpg

^^^IMO the Lake Norman area doesn't get the statewide recognition it deserves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina