Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 11:47 AM

18 posts, read 42,530 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am hoping for some help. My husband and I, along with our daughters currently live in Wisconsin. Needless to say, we are looking at moving some place a little warmer so we can continue to be active all year round. We are looking for a place no more than 5 hours from the beach that has a nice population of people where there are things to do...parks, swimming, music, good resturants, shopping, ect. We would need a good school system, public or private, and access decent jobs. We aren't opposed to living in a suburb. The city would need to be low crime, and safe as we do have two little girls. I have been looking into a few places, that we will be checking out in the near future...Chapel Hill area, Burlington, Asheville. Any feedback any one can offer moving to North Carolina would be great. Thank your help!!

Last edited by tgsfechter; 09-05-2013 at 11:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 12:24 PM

527 posts, read 920,024 times
" low crime, and safe" is oxymoron....

Having said that.. I think you would be better served with information like current job status, future job status, housing budget, kids age/school desires, travel time needed to work etc. This will help others to provide suggestions.

I suggest move to Charlotte (specifically south charlotte - Ballantyne, Waxhaw,Mathews etc)

Old 09-05-2013, 01:19 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
I suggest move to Charlotte (specifically south charlotte - Ballantyne, Waxhaw,Mathews etc)
Second the suggestion of Charlotte. It is very difficult to find jobs in Asheville, and Burlington has a high unemployment rate. Chapel Hill is nice and has a very good school system, but do you have job skills that match the demand in the area? Good houses (not student housing) in Chapel Hill are commensurately very expensive because the schools are good.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:58 AM

1,337 posts, read 2,209,211 times
I JUST HAD TO SAY "HELLO" as we moved from Milwaukee last year! I love not having to traipse through snow for months!
No recommendation as we're in a small town outside Raleigh, but jobs are not easy to come by here. Chapel Hill is great, but I think most houses are more expensive, so it depends on your income. I didnt go towards the Charlotte area because after living my whole life in Milwaukee, I wanted away from a large city. We're still close to raleigh, but Raleigh doesnt feel like a big, high crime area. Big enough to have what we need, but small enough to not be too much.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:31 PM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADA_NC View Post
" low crime, and safe" is oxymoron....
high crime and safe is an oxymoron.

low crime and safe is a tautology.

I think.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:37 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
high crime and safe is an oxymoron.

low crime and safe is a tautology.

I think.
I would say it's "redundant".

Old 09-11-2013, 01:10 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Chapel Hill (Orange County) is probably the most expensive place to live in the state as well...if you are going to pay those prices, you might as well get right up close to the water in Wilmington.

Is Asheville really that much warmer than Wisconsin? And its a HAUL to the beach....wouldn't wish that on anyone.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:21 PM

18 posts, read 42,530 times
Hi Everyone, thank you for the suggestions. Yeah after getting back from vacation last week in North Carolina, I can pretty much rule out the Chapel Hill, Burlington, and Asheville. Right now our family lives in a city of about 30,000 people. It has a nice downtown area, and a good school system. We live in the heart of the city, so we are in walking distance of parks, schools and events happening downtown. I really want to find a similar city in North Carolina. Any suggestions??

Old 09-17-2013, 03:56 PM

13,373 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsfechter View Post
It has a nice downtown area, and a good school system. We live in the heart of the city, so we are in walking distance of parks, schools and events happening downtown. I really want to find a similar city in North Carolina. Any suggestions??
Salisbury has about 30,000. Personally, I could recommend these two: 1. Apex has about 40,000 and it is in commuting distance of the Triangle job markets. 2. Wake Forest about 27,000 (also in the Triangle).

Others include: Statesville, Sanford, New Bern, Monroe, Apex, Holly Springs, Huntersville. They all have their pros and cons. Here's a list through you can research: //www.city-data.com/city/North-Carolina2.html.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:28 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgsfechter View Post
Hi Everyone, thank you for the suggestions. Yeah after getting back from vacation last week in North Carolina, I can pretty much rule out the Chapel Hill, Burlington, and Asheville. Right now our family lives in a city of about 30,000 people. It has a nice downtown area, and a good school system. We live in the heart of the city, so we are in walking distance of parks, schools and events happening downtown. I really want to find a similar city in North Carolina. Any suggestions??
Winston-Salem is quite a bit bigger than 30,000 but doesn't have a "big" city feel. Its downtown is getting better all the time. I think it might be worth a look.

Smitty's Notes is a great place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina