Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2013, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 6,039 times

Advertisements

im wondering what living in NC is like? ive only been to NC once many years ago while on family vacation. I remember it was beautiful and we went white water rafting. I can't remember much about the people or area. I currently live in Orlando, FL and it is a really terrible place to live-- the people are rude, its just overpopulated with Hispanics (im a minority myself) but the people here are just really bad. People are low class uncivil and mean and unfriendly. is NC different from this? I know that most people ive met who are from NC seem to be pretty nice and laid back. I plan on visiting but what is a good area for a young female to move to...that's low cost, jobs are 'ok' and maybe safe and a place where someone can interact and meet new people. I know that employment might be more difficult in NC from what ive heard...but I am really desperate to move somewhere that's different and where decent people might be. I am definitely tired of florida and everything about this place...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 06:27 AM

13,393 posts, read 27,234,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa9922 View Post
I know that most people ive met who are from NC seem to be pretty nice and laid back. I plan on visiting but what is a good area for a young female to move to...that's low cost, jobs are 'ok' and maybe safe and a place where someone can interact and meet new people.
Thinks have changed a lot since you went on that family vacation. The main employment centers are Charlotte and the Triangle. You won't find white-water rafting nearby. There will also be far more non-native people and traffic will be bad at times. You will see more Hispanics, and people might even be rude at times. You just can't generalize the state based on what you saw on vacation in the remote western part of the state where you went rafting.

If you are looking for a smaller city, I think Winston-Salem is nice. If you want to find a job, start doing some serious research. Locate a probable job, and figure what your housing will cost.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:01 AM

3,774 posts, read 8,222,864 times
For the record, the US National Whitewater Center is in Charlotte and you CAN whitewater raft there...

Old 09-11-2013, 08:01 AM

13,393 posts, read 27,234,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
For the record, the US National Whitewater Center is in Charlotte and you CAN whitewater raft there...
OK, I was wrong. From the pictures, it looks completely man-made. Is there anything natural about it? Photos for U.S. National Whitewater Center | Yelp

Old 09-11-2013, 09:07 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,902,091 times
NC is a large and diverse state--there is no way to say "Living in NC is like _____" because people living in the rural mountains or the beach will have a completely different experience from someone living in downtown Charlotte. How much do you actually know about the state?

Here is a link to all the NC cities over 6000. You can get an idea what individual cites are like, but you should soon see that there is no one description for "what it's like to live in NC".

Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM

3,089 posts, read 4,903,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
OK, I was wrong. From the pictures, it looks completely man-made. Is there anything natural about it? Photos for U.S. National Whitewater Center | Yelp
It is man made...but its really nice.

You can whitewater raft within an hour and half from Charlotte on non man made...but I do think some of them are called "damn aided" or something like that.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:36 PM

43 posts, read 118,762 times
Honestly, it doesn't matter what we tell you about NC. You have to come and experience it for yourself. While I love this great state someone else who lived here may hate it and talk crap about it. To each his own...right? North Carolina is not the promised land it was in the 90s. Unemployment is higher than the national average. That's not to say there is not jobs, but not as easy to come by. I encourage you to visit different parts of the state and then after you decide which area is for you, seek a job out. North Carolina is hard to beat. It's people are awesome, we have the mountains, small town, the coast, farmland and thriving cities. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2013, 09:42 PM

725 posts, read 1,505,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
water....

Old 09-12-2013, 06:42 AM

7,083 posts, read 12,400,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa9922 View Post
I remember it was beautiful and we went white water rafting...
I currently live in Orlando, FL and it is a really terrible place to live-- the people are rude, its just overpopulated with Hispanics...
I am definitely tired of florida and everything about this place...
West Virginia might be a better fit for you...

Old 09-12-2013, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,787 times
I grew up in KM and it was very harsh (91-present day). It was a poverty city, but slowly moving towards new growth. Don't get too involved with church and people. I was FORCED to get set up as a modern slave to the south (literally, there is a hearing aid in my right ear trying to burst my ear drum.). I am pretty sure the family was set up as well. Communist activity, the Right To Work opportunity is bull****, the south are playing modern slavery to all the minorities. Family such as us were very fortunate to have good people look out for our family. Gastonia, Charlotte, Kings Mountain is not that bad. Anymore. They don't enjoy rich folks (men and women don't enjoy anyone richer than their success, something I've learned in the south, but not me.). By rich folks, it is heavily controlled by the black community and white community. I can't stand how communist Kings Mountain has become. There is literally an underground base watching people who use the internet, drug growing, gambling. Underground in Kings Mountain is where it's at, but don't ask for it. Literally, UNDERGROUND Tunnels If you start hearing voices in your house and such, you probably have a hole in your house where the builders tried to terrorize you. There are peeping toms at other houses, so much weirdness. I wouldn't recommend living here permanently. The minorities that fall below that are really friendly because they are condemned with confidence for being happy where they are. Kings Mountain is really sketchy, there's a TON of hidden secrets and enjoy the small town, but realize it is very cold hearted deep down here. Lots of Pathological lying, psychos, weirdos, split personalities, cleptomania, and just a bunch of wilderness. I'm cold-hearted myself, just have a higher sense of morales and battling through how loony this town this. If you enjoy taboo and such welcome to the club, but it's not me. Sentimental value is something small towns don't appreciate. (They don't appreciate NEW Heritage). Anyone new to the town is watched very carefully. There's too many power hungry psychotic people in the small town. (It's the Confederate and Dixie Heritage). I would say move to Charlotte, it's much more civilized. The small towns carry a lot of heavy dirt on people, it's too close knitted. Pretty sure, minorities get singled out much much harder (I'm Asian.). Too much comparing for status quo and equality. There is less time for production.

Last edited by eihander; 09-12-2013 at 02:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina