Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 08:10 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times

Advertisements

I was surprised to learn that coverage through BCBS for my daughter is a way better deal than the state health plan.

Here's a little tip I figured out that may help people. The healthcare.gov website is nuts. Since BCBS is the only insurer in NC, you don't really need to use that site. Just go to the BCBSNC website. You'll get the same options and prices there and you can see your options without entering all your info. They just need your birth date and zip code.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM

2,695 posts, read 3,401,480 times
as self employed , self insured thru BCBS, our letter
states that our policy will go up 300% in fee with higher deductible .

trying to sort thru and figure out what we are going to do , no way to afford this.

Old 10-07-2013, 10:47 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Yep, I feel the same way.

My $5,000 BC/BC of NC policy is not old enough to be grandfathered; therefore, I will be moved to the bronze level $5,500 deductible. For this, I will have the privilege of paying $98 more per month. In 2012, I paid $346/month. In 2013, I paid $391/month. Now, thanks to the ACA, I will be paying $497/month. 57 year old non smoker.
I have been reading that the ACA plans must cover maternity care. Is there any way out of that option if all members of the household are past the age of needing maternity care?

Old 10-07-2013, 12:44 PM

1,031 posts, read 2,427,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I have been reading that the ACA plans must cover maternity care. Is there any way out of that option if all members of the household are past the age of needing maternity care?
Nope, you have to have maternity and newborn care as well as substance abuse care. That's all required on every plan on every level.

Old 10-07-2013, 03:50 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
No. The whole point is to provide group insurance to the private insurance market. The cost of insurance is based on the cost of insuring the whole and not based on the individual's risk beyond age and tobacco use. If you think about it, burdening young women with high insurance costs is nuts. Procreation is a good thing and we need more of it if you want to lower health insurance premiums in the long run (not to mention social security and medicare).

So in return for covering the cost of other people's maternity care, other people will cover the cost of whatever your medical condition is (or will be).

Old 10-07-2013, 07:39 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,005,469 times
Default NC prices on Health Ins Exchange??

Has ANYONE managed to get on the darn site and see prices? I'm curious how much the cheapest family policy will be?? Anyone??

Old 10-08-2013, 04:39 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
I took a peek and had no issues. If you want an idea how much you can check at this site, TBB Making Changes to Support Consumers in Accessing Health Insurance | The Benefit Bank

Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
tried this morning-says site is down for maintenance-LOL.
I did read this article In Charlotte and elsewhere, enrollment begins Tuesday in new health insurance exchange | CharlotteObserver.com though and would be interested to see how much the premiums would be for us, as we are currently insured so fall into this category.

If you’re getting insurance now through an employer’s group plan, you can go to the new marketplace to check out the potential cost to switch. But you won’t qualify for tax credits because you’re already covered by a group plan. And without tax credits, the online marketplace will probably be more expensive than the plan you have.

The plan is through Carolinas Healthcare System. We (family of 3-healthy) pay around $6700 in premiums (exc vision and dental)which is in excess of 10% of our annual gross income. After deductions it's more than 20%.

So, if we couldn't afford to enroll in the CHS plan then I'm assuming we still wouldn't get the tax credits towards purchasing insurance via the exchange?
[LEFT]
Read more here: In Charlotte and elsewhere, enrollment begins Tuesday in new health insurance exchange | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]

Old 10-08-2013, 06:47 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,822,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsthenews View Post
tried this morning-says site is down for maintenance-LOL.
I did read this article In Charlotte and elsewhere, enrollment begins Tuesday in new health insurance exchange | CharlotteObserver.com though and would be interested to see how much the premiums would be for us, as we are currently insured so fall into this category.

If you’re getting insurance now through an employer’s group plan, you can go to the new marketplace to check out the potential cost to switch. But you won’t qualify for tax credits because you’re already covered by a group plan. And without tax credits, the online marketplace will probably be more expensive than the plan you have.

The plan is through Carolinas Healthcare System. We (family of 3-healthy) pay around $6700 in premiums (exc vision and dental)which is in excess of 10% of our annual gross income. After deductions it's more than 20%.

So, if we couldn't afford to enroll in the CHS plan then I'm assuming we still wouldn't get the tax credits towards purchasing insurance via the exchange?
[LEFT]
Read more here: In Charlotte and elsewhere, enrollment begins Tuesday in new health insurance exchange | CharlotteObserver.com
[/LEFT]
I found this to be a bit more helpful:

Questions and Answers on the Premium Tax Credit

Old 10-08-2013, 04:52 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I found this to be a bit more helpful:

Questions and Answers on the Premium Tax Credit

Thanks.
Looks like the "affordability" of a plan offered by an employer is based on the premium that one would pay for "self only" coverage, and premium $ amount needs to be more than 9.5% of the gross adjusted income for it to be classed as unaffordable. They don't take into account the extra premiums for family coverage in the affordability test.

I'm sure there's a reason for this, but can't think of one at the moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina