Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 08:21 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,009,154 times

Advertisements

Wonderning exactly what the best things to do are? We have three kids 12,10 & 8. Have been doing some research and am coming up empty handed. Looked into the Tweetsie Railroad but am worried my kids may be too old for it. Also was trying to find some type of pumpkin farms, Really my main issue is I don't really know where to look,go,see,do???? The drive will be incredible I am sure but I would like to have some points of interest to stop at to keep the kids entertained. Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2006, 08:59 AM

583 posts, read 2,803,188 times
PUMPKINS: If you're wanting to pick out a pumpkin, indian corn, etc. check out the site : It's got to be NC agriculture!
go to this web-site, select PUMPKINS from the drop down menu, then your region & it'll give you the details/web-sites for all the farms!
www.ncfarmfresh.com/farms (broken link)
Of course there are tons of little road side shops with pumpkins, etc. for sale too.

TWEETSIE: Ya'll can ride the ghost train this weekend or next. It's a little pricey, but might be worth letting the kids have some fun after a long car ride! (If you or someone you know has an account with State Employee's Credit Union, you can get all the tickets for $19 ea (verses $27 for adults reg.)

SOMETHING TO DO: There's always a ton of overlooks and parks to get out and walk around. The Mile Hile Swinging Bridge / feed bears at Grandfather Mountain is always fun! It'll be crowded, so I would say vote one thing that everyone would be happy doing and do it. Then if there's extra time stop in at what else looks like fun. Pick up brochures along the way, you'll probably want to vacation there sometime so that you can see / do more

Old 10-20-2006, 09:44 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Default My best advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
Wonderning exactly what the best things to do are? We have three kids 12,10 & 8. Have been doing some research and am coming up empty handed. Looked into the Tweetsie Railroad but am worried my kids may be too old for it. Also was trying to find some type of pumpkin farms, Really my main issue is I don't really know where to look,go,see,do???? The drive will be incredible I am sure but I would like to have some points of interest to stop at to keep the kids entertained. Thanks so much!
Here is my best recommendation for you to have a great ride:
Take I40 west toward Asheville. Take exit #85. Follow the signs for 226/221 bypass to Hwy 70. At Hwy 70 take a left. Within a mile or two look for Hwy 80 on your right and turn onto Hwy 80. Follow this really windy, beautiful little road all the way up to the Blue Ridge parkway. Stop along the way at the little white church to park and let your kids play in the trout stream. At the Blue Ridge Parkway take a left and follow the signs to Mt. Mitchell which sits at approximately mile marker 355. There is a great restaurant at the visitor center that you could have a hot meal at - the service is fast and the meals affordable. Hike around there a bit and enjoy the view from the highest point east of the Mississsippi. (6684 ft high). Leave Mt. Mitchel and take a left onto the parkway to head north. Stop along the way at anything that captures your attention At approximately mile marker 315 stop at the Linville Falls Visitor Center and hike down to see the falls. Continue on the Parkway to check out the Linn Cove Viaduct. Then, if you want to pay the price of admission, follow the signs to Grandfather Mountain to see the bears who live in a wildlife habitat there, along with other animals, the mile high swinging bridge, beautiful trails and nice gift shop. All worth the price of admission in my opinion When you leave Grandfather Mt. you can begin your trip home by continuing north on the parkway toward Blowing Rock. Exit the parkway there onto Hwy. 321 South. Travel 321 to I85 to head back to the Charlotte area. If you follow this plan you will see alot and be going against the traffic for at least the first half of your trip. Start early, like by 8:00 at least, so you don't run out of daylight before you start to head home!

Have a great trip!

Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Here is my best recommendation for you to have a great ride:
Take I40 west toward Asheville. Take exit #85. Follow the signs for 226/221 bypass to Hwy 70. At Hwy 70 take a left. Within a mile or two look for Hwy 80 on your right and turn onto Hwy 80. Follow this really windy, beautiful little road all the way up to the Blue Ridge parkway. Stop along the way at the little white church to park and let your kids play in the trout stream. At the Blue Ridge Parkway take a left and follow the signs to Mt. Mitchell which sits at approximately mile marker 355. There is a great restaurant at the visitor center that you could have a hot meal at - the service is fast and the meals affordable. Hike around there a bit and enjoy the view from the highest point east of the Mississsippi. (6684 ft high). Leave Mt. Mitchel and take a left onto the parkway to head north. Stop along the way at anything that captures your attention At approximately mile marker 315 stop at the Linville Falls Visitor Center and hike down to see the falls. Continue on the Parkway to check out the Linn Cove Viaduct. Then, if you want to pay the price of admission, follow the signs to Grandfather Mountain to see the bears who live in a wildlife habitat there, along with other animals, the mile high swinging bridge, beautiful trails and nice gift shop. All worth the price of admission in my opinion When you leave Grandfather Mt. you can begin your trip home by continuing north on the parkway toward Blowing Rock. Exit the parkway there onto Hwy. 321 South. Travel 321 to I85 to head back to the Charlotte area. If you follow this plan you will see alot and be going against the traffic for at least the first half of your trip. Start early, like by 8:00 at least, so you don't run out of daylight before you start to head home!

Have a great trip!
Home is in the Raleigh area. Sounds like this is the route to take if we were in charlotte? Am I wrong? Gosh it sounds beautiful though! I need a route from Raleigh! Thanks so much for the replies I truly appreciate it! Maybe we can stay the night in Hickory or Charlotte?

Old 10-20-2006, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Home is in the Raleigh area. Sounds like this is the route to take if we were in charlotte? Am I wrong? Gosh it sounds beautiful though! I need a route from Raleigh! Thanks so much for the replies I truly appreciate it! Maybe we can stay the night in Hickory or Charlotte?
Hey, no problem, even better Just get on I40 traveling west from the Raleigh area and follow the same direction there. Except at the end you would still take 321 south from Blowing Rock, but instead of going as far as 185 you would exit onto I40 east heading back to Raleigh

Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Oh, and Charlotte would be out of the way for you to spend the night You could try Hickory, if there are any hotel rooms still available.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Hey, no problem, even better Just get on I40 traveling west from the Raleigh area and follow the same direction there. Except at the end you would still take 321 south from Blowing Rock, but instead of going as far as 185 you would exit onto I40 east heading back to Raleigh

Thank You so much! I can't wait to share this with my DH when he gets home tonight! I am off to pack our day bag for a beautiful Saturday spent in the mountains!

Old 10-20-2006, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Thank You so much! I can't wait to share this with my DH when he gets home tonight! I am off to pack our day bag for a beautiful Saturday spent in the mountains!
Yea!!! Get an early start, maybe even 6:30-7:00ish Come back and let me know how it went okay?

Old 10-20-2006, 04:16 PM

Anybody else heading out to see the leaves tomorrow???

Old 10-20-2006, 04:21 PM

127 posts, read 600,249 times
Default heh

Quote:
I hear that kids that age really enjoy raking leaves! If they want to rake leaves let me know and I'll give you my address.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina