Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2014, 11:05 AM

3 posts, read 3,306 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating from Long Island to North Carolina but are not sure of what areas/towns would be a good fit for us. My husband will be keeping his current job which he can do from home so job location will not be an issue. Ultimately we are looking for an area that has a lot to offer (I.e. Great school district, low crime, parks, farmers markets, local shops and restaurants, activities for young kids (we have a 2 year old and newborn, etc.) We would especially like to find a place where the local town and parks (activities for kids) are within walking distance. My husband and I are in our mid 20's so an area where there are younger families would be ideal as well. Can anyone suggest towns that would maybe fit this description and tell me a little bit about them? We will be visiting the area in the coming months and would like to narrow down our search. Also, as far as the housing market goes, we would prefer to spend no more than $300,000 but would like it to be less than $250,000 if possible. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 12:38 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrskrad88 View Post
My husband and I are considering relocating from Long Island to North Carolina but are not sure of what areas/towns would be a good fit for us. My husband will be keeping his current job which he can do from home so job location will not be an issue. Ultimately we are looking for an area that has a lot to offer (I.e. Great school district, low crime, parks, farmers markets, local shops and restaurants, activities for young kids (we have a 2 year old and newborn, etc.) We would especially like to find a place where the local town and parks (activities for kids) are within walking distance.
I think you ought to narrow down your preferences a bit more. North Carolina extends hundreds of miles from mountains to the coast.

My first impulse is to suggest Cary in the middle of the state. It will have the good schools, parks and things to do for the kids. Plus you will find thousands of other New York and Long Island transplants settling there.

However, if you concentrate on Cary, you would be missing out on many other nice towns in the state. For example, if you would enjoy scenic mountain views, then you could look at Asheville. If you would enjoy access to lakes and professional sports teams, look at the Charlotte suburbs.

I suggest do some reading in the forum, and look at the Our State magazine website.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I think you ought to narrow down your preferences a bit more. North Carolina extends hundreds of miles from mountains to the coast.

My first impulse is to suggest Cary in the middle of the state. It will have the good schools, parks and things to do for the kids. Plus you will find thousands of other New York and Long Island transplants settling there.

However, if you concentrate on Cary, you would be missing out on many other nice towns in the state. For example, if you would enjoy scenic mountain views, then you could look at Asheville. If you would enjoy access to lakes and professional sports teams, look at the Charlotte suburbs.

I suggest do some reading in the forum, and look at the Our State magazine website.

Thanks! I know from research how diverse nc can be, but we don't really have a preference currently. We like the coast but we also like the mountains. We don't really prefer one over the other. The most important thing to us would really be having various options for day to day life. We don't always want to be stuck doing the same thing. We mainly would just like a great town within walking distance and a lot of things for our kids (and ourselves) to get involved in. I don't want to have to drive to get to everything like I currently do.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Quote:
We mainly would just like a great town within walking distance and a lot of things for our kids (and ourselves) to get involved in. I don't want to have to drive to get to everything like I currently do.
I should also have suggested Carrboro, which shares the Chapel Hill school district. It is big on the farmer's market, progessive scene. There are even free buses so you don't have to drive.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I should also have suggested Carrboro, which shares the Chapel Hill school district. It is big on the farmer's market, progessive scene. There are even free buses so you don't have to drive.

Thanks! I can drive but I would just prefer somewhere where we could walk to a lot of the things the area has to offer. I don't want to have to get in a car or take a bus to get to everything.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:57 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
Quote:
My husband and I are considering relocating from Long Island to North Carolina but are not sure of what areas/towns would be a good fit for us. My husband will be keeping his current job which he can do from home so job location will not be an issue. Ultimately we are looking for an area that has a lot to offer (I.e. Great school district, low crime, parks, farmers markets, local shops and restaurants, activities for young kids (we have a 2 year old and newborn, etc.) We would especially like to find a place where the local town and parks (activities for kids) are within walking distance. My husband and I are in our mid 20's so an area where there are younger families would be ideal as well. Can anyone suggest towns that would maybe fit this description and tell me a little bit about them? We will be visiting the area in the coming months and would like to narrow down our search. Also, as far as the housing market goes, we would prefer to spend no more than $300,000 but would like it to be less than $250,000 if possible. Thanks!
I have always been partial to Matthews, the downtown is very walkable, they have numerous festivals, a large sports complex right outside of town and the Elementary school is right downtown as well. I am surprised more folks don't use "walkability" as a guide to their choice of housing. I live in Pine Valley in Wilmington and I love the fact that I am on the cross city trail, walking distance to Halyburton Park, it has its own elementary school, even can walk to the Cameron Art Museum...but the commercial isn't intertwined with the neighborhood. That's one reason I like Matthews, it has a ton of restaurants, Town Hall, Post office, Hardware Store, etc...and you are basically IN Charlotte.

Old 01-20-2014, 04:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
Suggest the West End, I think it is called, in Winston Salem. Winston is a middle sized city, but as I understand it, the West End has a village vibe.

http://www.w-sfrontporch.com/

Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 PM

I would also like to suggest the Cameron Village area of Raleigh, which is an older planned "village" in the city. Also in Raleigh, Bedford at River Falls is a newer subdivision planned with walkability: Bedford At Falls River .

Old 01-20-2014, 09:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
Thanks! I know from research how diverse nc can be, but we don't really have a preference currently. We like the coast but we also like the mountains. We don't really prefer one over the other. The most important thing to us would really be having various options for day to day life. We don't always want to be stuck doing the same thing. We mainly would just like a great town within walking distance and a lot of things for our kids (and ourselves) to get involved in. I don't want to have to drive to get to everything like I currently do.
So, if you don't have a preference, how are you expecting a bunch of strangers to be able to make meaningful recommendations for you? Only YOU know what you like and that will have to be from first-hand exploration.
what would you tell someone who said "I want to move to the state of NY but I don't know where, can somebody suggest somewhere?" There just isn't a "pat" answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina