Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:09 AM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times

Advertisements

Must you legally have one, yes.

Will it necessarily be checked, probably not. Most mechanics don't make enough off of a standard state inspection to go through and check every detail, unless its a customer they don't recognize at all and think it could be a test. Will a trooper notice it if you're pulled over, no.

I agree with others in saying that its probably a good idea to have one and a little better for the environment (it really doesn't help there as much as people would like to think, clean filters once a year are far more important). But the small town garage I go over and over again for all my needs from inspections to muffler changes, and also where a family member use to work, didn't put one on my car the last time without even telling me. When I brought it up he said he could go back and put one in for another $200 which I don't have on my current muffler. Whenever I go back for inspections it usually involves nothing more than me walking in with my registration and mileage and walking out with a sticker and scraper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2007, 08:52 AM

4,237 posts, read 24,779,116 times
Most mechanics WILL look under to see if you have it. Why? Well unless they know you personally for all they know you could be an undercover inspector (posing as a computer geek that knows nothing about cars) waiting to see if they will do the right thing and not pass your car due to missing emission controls or if they are willing to put their job at stake turning a blind eye to the situation and "giving" you a sticker.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:06 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,529,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
Most mechanics WILL look under to see if you have it. Why? Well unless they know you personally for all they know you could be an undercover inspector (posing as a computer geek that knows nothing about cars) waiting to see if they will do the right thing and not pass your car due to missing emission controls or if they are willing to put their job at stake turning a blind eye to the situation and "giving" you a sticker.
You can bet on that. I have a friend that works for the DMV and they take their kids, pets, wife with them. Stations do make money on inspections, and having their inspection certification yanked hurts their bottom line. There are also repercursions for the employee that didn't do a proper inspection, which starts with yanking their personal certification to do inspections. I suspect fines are also involved.

Old 03-19-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 10,618 times
I live in nc, and most of the mechanics wont look under your car and dont have to anyhow. If its older than 96 they usually dont even care. Weld an empty one of there if its older than a 96 after that it has to the pass odb ii test and all engine lights have to be off for atleast 30 miles before it can pass.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:39 PM

8 posts, read 35,376 times
Default Cat Converter

Only vehicles with on-board computers now are emission tested, that means 96 models up. Tailpipe testing went out couple years ago, it didn't work very well. You must still have original equip. though, if they look. Many of them don't bother to look real hard. And stickers are not applied anymore. Insp. is required before your plate is renewed. Insp. stations computer is tied in with DMV. Stick something on it just in case if you can.

Last edited by fideau; 03-23-2009 at 04:59 PM..

Old 01-02-2010, 08:54 AM

10 posts, read 29,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Is there a reason your vehicle does not have a catalytic converter? I believe that it is against the law in every state to tamper with or disable any pollution control device on any vehicle.

Do you suspect there might be a reason for this, such as not polluting the air we breath at such a rapid rate? So park it or take it to a reputable exhaust shop and stop breaking the law and polluting the air we breath.

why not? its meaningless, plus if you can sell the one off your car for money for more, high performace parts, then why not. the worl'd going to hell anyway with all the gay marriage laws and corrupt politics. live life to the fullest and tear up them streets, let that fuel burn!! unfornunaltey i believe my '84 has to have one on it, if i confirm it, then i'm replacing it with a high performance version, like a cherry bomb or flowmaster when i upgrade my exhaust. If it absolutely HAS to have one, however, if they can't check too see if its regualtory or not, then i'm takig it off.

Old 04-21-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 9,859 times
is there a certain number of catalytic converters required to pass?

Old 02-17-2016, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 6,140 times
I have a 1979 c10 and I don't have a cc mine got taken off whe I dropped my new moter in and I passed inspection for 4 years no prob but that texted it on a dyno and I passed I have no exhost system mines straght form
The headers

Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 PM

1 posts, read 4,841 times
Smile Catalytic Converters

So my 1980 Camaro isn't subjected to NC inspection. Meaning I can remove the 2 cats? I hope so, ridding of that restriction, hear more of that supercharger, and some gainz in performance.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:15 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,606,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 84_camaro_boy View Post
why not? its meaningless, plus if you can sell the one off your car for money for more, high performace parts, then why not. the worl'd going to hell anyway with all the gay marriage laws and corrupt politics. live life to the fullest and tear up them streets, let that fuel burn!! unfornunaltey i believe my '84 has to have one on it, if i confirm it, then i'm replacing it with a high performance version, like a cherry bomb or flowmaster when i upgrade my exhaust. If it absolutely HAS to have one, however, if they can't check too see if its regualtory or not, then i'm takig it off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: