Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 05:47 AM

3,664 posts, read 3,945,973 times

Advertisements

Atlanta's interstates are now in their 18th hour of gridlock. Georgia doesn't do anything proactively. Pre-treating roads? What? That would require diligence, planning and actually doing something in advance.

Look at this photo of people having to sleep in a CVS along I-75 in northwest Atlanta last night. Right now there are children on school buses still on the interstate from yesterday.

North Carolina's DOT has the common sense to pre-treat THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of miles of city and rural highways two and three days in advance. I remember last year driving from Atlanta to Louisburg and seeing a faint white line (of brine solution) on every country road throughout NC last year.

Smart people running things in North Carolina.

Georgia? Not at all...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2014, 06:06 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,756,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
Atlanta's interstates are now in their 18th hour of gridlock. Georgia doesn't do anything proactively. Pre-treating roads? What? That would require diligence, planning and actually doing something in advance.

Look at this photo of people having to sleep in a CVS along I-75 in northwest Atlanta last night. Right now there are children on school buses still on the interstate from yesterday.

North Carolina's DOT has the common sense to pre-treat THOUSANDS and THOUSANDS of miles of city and rural highways two and three days in advance. I remember last year driving from Atlanta to Louisburg and seeing a faint white line (of brine solution) on every country road throughout NC last year.
so Atlanta's gov't's suck.. you don't have to sell me on that.

but before we jump on the NCDOT bandwagon, do we have evidence that NCDOT's pre-treating was effective (this morning, for example?)

Old 01-29-2014, 06:38 AM

22,679 posts, read 36,836,112 times
Apparently they have even less snow equipment than we do. Instead of investing in a ton of money for snowstorms, they all should've used their heads and called off school. We didn't get a flake and our kids were safe and sound at home, the storm started in the morning there and yet they sent everyone off to school - that makes NO sense when they know they can't manage the storm at all.

If I lived there and my kids' bus had to go on the interstate, I would not have sent them yesterday.

Town of Cary plowed my street at 5 a.m. Barely enough to plow but they were out there early.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,355,859 times
People are stranded throughout GA and AL. I don't know if it got there sooner than they thought it would or if they thought it would be rain or what. I have a friend in Birmingham and she posted this link Want to help those stuck in snow? You can use these spreadsheets, built by volunteers | AL.com for folks to help out stranded motorists. I took a look at it and there are elderly people stuck in cars, folks who don't have medication or water, etc. It's a real mess. I'll take getting out of school early when we didn't need to over that any day.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:48 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,941,162 times
Atlanta got caught with their pants down just like we did in 05. They'll learn...unfortunately the hard way.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:13 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Really? Pretreating can only take you so far. It prevents icing but it can only do so much to remove actual accumulation. That's what plows are for.

If I were in Georgia, I would not be blaming the DOT, but I would be wondering why kids were in school at all and why people were on the roads at all. Why would they not have sense enough to stay home?

We closed our library last night at 7pm which was the decision of the library staff based on our comfort level with driving. After 6 pm we had no one enter the library so we thought that was reasonable. I had the farthest to drive and I was not terribly concerned because i have 4 wheel drive which has proven itself in 4 inches of snow.

There was half an inch or so of accumulation on the roads that made it impossible to see the pavement markings. I did pass a salt truck/plow on Atlantic ave. I was pleased to see VERY few cars at all on the road and all were driving slowly and carefully. That's what makes the difference! Common Sense!

I was glad to get home when I did, I would not have wanted to waited any longer.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:14 AM

3,670 posts, read 6,580,974 times
As someone who trudged in to the office today I'd have to give NCDOT a little credit because while it was a treacherous drive to reach them, the highways were easily passable (except for one odd section by Glenwood Avenue and I-540). Could they purchase tens of millions of dollars in snow removal equipment? Yes. Do I think it's worth the corresponding tax hike I'll be paying? No.

We get one significant Winter system every other year, on average. We lose maybe 2-3 days of school as a result. I don't see this as a problem that needs fixing.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:15 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,902,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
People are stranded throughout GA and AL. I don't know if it got there sooner than they thought it would or if they thought it would be rain or what. I have a friend in Birmingham and she posted this link Want to help those stuck in snow? You can use these spreadsheets, built by volunteers | AL.com for folks to help out stranded motorists. I took a look at it and there are elderly people stuck in cars, folks who don't have medication or water, etc. It's a real mess. I'll take getting out of school early when we didn't need to over that any day.
Social media at its absolute best. Fantastic!

Old 01-29-2014, 07:25 AM

455 posts, read 919,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Apparently they have even less snow equipment than we do. Instead of investing in a ton of money for snowstorms, they all should've used their heads and called off school. We didn't get a flake and our kids were safe and sound at home, the storm started in the morning there and yet they sent everyone off to school - that makes NO sense when they know they can't manage the storm at all.

If I lived there and my kids' bus had to go on the interstate, I would not have sent them yesterday.

Town of Cary plowed my street at 5 a.m. Barely enough to plow but they were out there early.
From my 6 mile drive from home to work in Cary this morning, I passed at least 4 plows. I don't remember them being this active in years past, but I also don't think I bothered to go to work in the past

Old 01-29-2014, 08:24 AM

2,113 posts, read 2,731,546 times
I don't think the brine is what it's made out to be? I'm sure it "helps" at best? I made my usual 45 mile commute to work. The roads in Lee and Chatham counties were white with snow and ice but it was very drivable and everyone was taking their time, averaging about 40 mph with no problems. Hit the Wake county line and you could easily do the speed limits. However I'm sure this was the exception rather than the rule.

They really blew the forecast on this one. I was hoping to get the 3-6" predicted and I might have gotten an inch maybe an 11/4" if I stretched it. I watch the trends in the forecast not the numbers like most people do and I could tell yesterday afternoon it wasn't going to happen. So disappointing and frustrating for those of us that love the snow and ice...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina