Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 05:56 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
In addition, Pinehurst is much less sophisticated that Napa. For example, there are a few wineries in the area, but nothing like the number and quality of California.
I am sure if the OP could afford CA they would stay there. If I could afford CA I would move there. They are looking at options and Pinehurst is a good option. Lots of people come to Pinehurst to play golf and wind up moving there when they retire.

Pinehurst was developed over 100 years ago by a wealthy Yankee who got off the train to have a look around and decided to built his own town. Pinehurst has an interesting history and is home to many wealthy and not so wealthy retirees.

The only thing that Pinehurst doesn't have that the other areas of NC does have is lots of motor vehicle traffic.

BTW The reason I am surrounded by rednecks is because I am a Yankee in the South.

Last edited by PDD; 02-13-2014 at 06:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2014, 09:25 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
You might want to skIp NC all together...if you are retired...not the most retiree friendly state. Look at surburbs in Dallas, Houston, Denver.

Old 02-13-2014, 11:51 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
Pinehurst, Southern Pines had the best selection of non chain top quality restaurants in all of NC.
oh please

Old 02-13-2014, 08:22 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napalinda View Post
What attracts us that it appears to be very quaint and charming. We don't want a city life. We are both native Californians but can't afford to be mortgage free in anything that we could afford to pay cash for $500,000 range. Homes here in that range are really small and need a lot of work to be something you would want to live in. My husband has been to Pinehurst on golf outings and thought it was great. We are planning to spend about a week soon to see what the community is like.
Have you considered The Preserve at Jordan Lake? The Preserve has a Davis Love Golf Course and is adjacent to Jordan Lake. It is very quiet there and you'd be less than a 30 minute drive to shopping at Beaver Creek in Apex, the future Apex Costco, The Streets at Southpoint in Durham, and RDU airport.

Pittsboro might be worth checking out. It is a very small, quaint town if that's what your looking for. Well, for now anyways. They are building a massive project out there. Chapel Ridge is a gorgeous golf community located there.

Other smallish towns with golf courses worth checking out: Clayton, Holly Springs, Fuquay-Varina, and Wake Forest.

I am NOT a fan of Pinehurst.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:27 PM

2,023 posts, read 3,240,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
oh please
No kidding. His location says it all. "Surrounded by Rednecks".............no thank you. I'll pass!

Old 03-05-2014, 08:26 PM

1 posts, read 1,693 times
My wife and I are 60 and 65 yrs old, we moved to Pinehurst from Carlsbad Calif area and been here for two months now. We lived in a subdivision there for 25 yrs. Our reasoning was the same, housing costs plus we just wanted a change. Let's don't forget the sick freeways, smog, noise, concrete, taxes. We sold our home, got rid of most everything that we really didn't need, got down to one SUV, packed it, put our keepsakes into storage, and decided to see the country, and find a nice personal community to live in and enjoy. It took us 7 months 23 states, many communities, and here we are. And what a change it is. Pinehurst is a small beautiful community with friendly people, that was really refreshing and something we wanted to find and lacked in California as far as I was concerned. We were concerned about neighborhoods, our security, doctors, driving, shopping,what golf club to join, and the list goes on, All I could say it's stressless to southern California standards, and ( no freeways)( no crazy traffic). Pinehurst is so cool, there are no streetlights, nice neighbors, no curbs, just a completely different environment from California. You don't have the perfect weather, it's not living in the winter vortex, but you have the small community feel, safe streets, friendly businesses in Pinehurst, people waving to you as you walk down the street that you don't even know. You can buy most anything you need in Aberdeen or like us take a trip to Costco in Raleigh once a month. If your looking to slow down and enjoy your aging, it's a fantastic retirement community with many interesting people to meet. On the whole, the costs of living is not any cheaper here than California, except the housing, I don't know where these retirement website get there information. Bottom line: were happy we moved here, I hope you are also.

Old 03-06-2014, 07:34 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmeo View Post
My wife and I are 60 and 65 yrs old, we moved to Pinehurst from Carlsbad Calif area and been here for two months now. We lived in a subdivision there for 25 yrs. Our reasoning was the same, housing costs plus we just wanted a change. Let's don't forget the sick freeways, smog, noise, concrete, taxes. We sold our home, got rid of most everything that we really didn't need, got down to one SUV, packed it, put our keepsakes into storage, and decided to see the country, and find a nice personal community to live in and enjoy. It took us 7 months 23 states, many communities, and here we are. And what a change it is. Pinehurst is a small beautiful community with friendly people, that was really refreshing and something we wanted to find and lacked in California as far as I was concerned. We were concerned about neighborhoods, our security, doctors, driving, shopping,what golf club to join, and the list goes on, All I could say it's stressless to southern California standards, and ( no freeways)( no crazy traffic). Pinehurst is so cool, there are no streetlights, nice neighbors, no curbs, just a completely different environment from California. You don't have the perfect weather, it's not living in the winter vortex, but you have the small community feel, safe streets, friendly businesses in Pinehurst, people waving to you as you walk down the street that you don't even know. You can buy most anything you need in Aberdeen or like us take a trip to Costco in Raleigh once a month. If your looking to slow down and enjoy your aging, it's a fantastic retirement community with many interesting people to meet. On the whole, the costs of living is not any cheaper here than California, except the housing, I don't know where these retirement website get there information. Bottom line: were happy we moved here, I hope you are also.
There you go, some good reps for Pinehurst and it doesn't seem to bother them that they are surrounded by rednecks.
I don't know why people get upset at the term redneck, all people living in the South are rednecks. Just like all people living in the North are Yankees.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:07 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
PDD, "redneck" is pejorative. "Yankee" is not generally considered an insult. There's no pro baseball team called the NC Rednecks, no candle company called "The Redneck Candle Company", no "Redneck Magazine", but there's a "Yankee Magazine", no Redneck Corporation, but there's a Yankee Group. If you want to say you're surrounded by natives of North Carolina you can call us "Tar Heels" or you could just say "Southerners", but "rednecks" is a pretty insulting term. If that's what you want to say, though, well... there you go.

Quote:
The term Redneck is chiefly used for a poor rural white person of the Southern United States. It can be a derogatory slang term[1][2] similar in meaning to cracker (especially regarding Georgia and Florida), hillbilly (especially regarding Appalachia and the Ozarks),[3] and white trash (but without the last term's suggestions of immorality).[4][5][6]
Quote:
The term "Yankee" and its contracted form "Yank" have several interrelated meanings, all referring to people from the United States. Its various senses depend on the scope of context. Most broadly:
Outside the United States, "Yank" is used informally to refer to any American, including Southerners.[1]
Within the United States, it usually refers to people from the north, largely those who fought for the regions in the Union side of the American Civil War, but also those with New England cultural ties, such as descendants from colonial New England settlers, wherever they live.[2] Its sense is more cultural than literally geographic. The speech dialect of New England is called "Yankee" or "Yankee dialect."[3] Within Southern American English, "Yankee" refers to Northerners. Within New England, "Yankee" refers to descendants of early English settlers in contrast to people of other ethnic origins.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:45 AM
PDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
PDD, "redneck" is pejorative. "Yankee" is not generally considered an insult. There's no pro baseball team called the NC Rednecks, no candle company called "The Redneck Candle Company", no "Redneck Magazine", but there's a "Yankee Magazine", no Redneck Corporation, but there's a Yankee Group. If you want to say you're surrounded by natives of North Carolina you can call us "Tar Heels" or you could just say "Southerners", but "rednecks" is a pretty insulting term. If that's what you want to say, though, well... there you go.
Ok to clear this up. When you live in the Pinehurst area, Southern Pines, Aberdeen, Seven Lakes, you are surrounded by rednecks.
Just look at the map and see where this area is located. 70 miles South of Raleigh, 90 miles East of Charlotte and 50 miles West of Fayetteville with nothing but small farm towns separating us from Suburbia and the cities.
JMO but to me rednecks are hard working rural people who spend most of their time working outside getting sunburned. How can that be insulting?

On the other side, I lived up North for 60+ years and nobody ever called me a Yankee until I moved to NC and that was by a redneck farmer outside of the Pinehurst area.
To me being called Yankee by a redneck is a derogatory name for the carpetbaggers of which I am not.

Old 03-06-2014, 11:21 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
On the other side, I lived up North for 60+ years and nobody ever called me a Yankee until I moved to NC and that was by a redneck farmer outside of the Pinehurst area.
To me being called Yankee by a redneck is a derogatory name for the carpetbaggers of which I am not.
Well, there you go. Being called a "redneck" by a "yankee" is doubly insulting. Redneck is a derogatory term. It does not refer to "hard working rural people". It generally has a meaning of racist, dumb Southerners, but folks use it to refer to those kinds of folks in other parts of the country, too. I doubt if your rural neighbors would appreciate being called "rednecks", but you can try it out and see what kind of reaction you get.

"Yankee" just means someone from the North, generally the Northeast. "Damn Yankee" means someone annoying from the North .

Yankee - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Quote:
1Yan·kee noun \ˈyaŋ-kē\
: a person born or living in the U.S.

: a person born or living in the northern U.S.

: a person from New England
Redneck - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary
Quote:
red·neck noun \ˈred-ˌnek\
: a white person who lives in a small town or in the country especially in the southern U.S., who typically has a working-class job, and who is seen by others as being uneducated and having opinions and attitudes that are offensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina