Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 09:11 AM

2 posts, read 5,191 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.. I currently live in central nj and would like to relocate to North Carolina by late spring early summer and just have a few questions.. I have looked into apex, morrisville, mooresville,cary., I would like to know which area is best and the safest to live in ..I have a child in elementary school so i would like to be in an area where there are really good schools plus safe neighborhood .I plan on going to nc later this month to check out the area.. But just want to know where the great schools are and also where it's safe and any areas to avoid.. I'm leaning towards apex but just want some additional info please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2014, 09:53 AM

42 posts, read 71,130 times
There are several great places to live in NC, city might depend on the kind of work you will be looking for and the cost of living. Greensboro is smaller but has everything you are looking for great schools, great central location.

Old 01-06-2014, 10:06 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,383,794 times
There is a big difference of opinion between NJ residents and NC residents as to what great schools are.
NC is fourth from the bottom in teacher pay and good teachers are leaving NC for better pay in other states.
You might find some great schools here but they will not be up to the standards that you experienced in NJ.
Our new Republican Governor and his newly appointed stooges are not public education friendly.
Other than that there of plenty of safe friendly neighborhoods in many areas of NC

And yes I know NC students get into NC colleges.

Old 01-08-2014, 12:08 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,821,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trizzi26 View Post
Hi everyone.. I currently live in central nj and would like to relocate to North Carolina by late spring early summer and just have a few questions.. I have looked into apex, morrisville, mooresville,cary., I would like to know which area is best and the safest to live in ..I have a child in elementary school so i would like to be in an area where there are really good schools plus safe neighborhood .I plan on going to nc later this month to check out the area.. But just want to know where the great schools are and also where it's safe and any areas to avoid.. I'm leaning towards apex but just want some additional info please.
Do you have the kind of work where you can live anywhere? Otherwise, you'll be limited as to what areas have jobs in your field.

Old 03-07-2014, 01:14 PM

356 posts, read 370,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDD View Post
There is a big difference of opinion between NJ residents and NC residents as to what great schools are.
NC is fourth from the bottom in teacher pay and good teachers are leaving NC for better pay in other states.
You might find some great schools here but they will not be up to the standards that you experienced in NJ.
Our new Republican Governor and his newly appointed stooges are not public education friendly.
Other than that there of plenty of safe friendly neighborhoods in many areas of NC

And yes I know NC students get into NC colleges.
I am from the suburbs of NYC and I can tell you that the schools here are great! Better than what we had in NY. My children attend Iredell-Stateville schools and our experience has been great so far. I am very impressed. I have not heard of a single teacher leaving due to pay. Please don't let the previous posters political feelings discourage you. The best teachers don't go into teaching for the money. They go into the field because they like teach and make a difference in the lives of children. Come on down

Old 03-10-2014, 08:40 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,498,334 times
If you are coming from central NJ and want something reminiscent of home, Fayetteville looks and feels very very similar to central NJ. I came from the Burlington/Mt Holly/Cherry Hill area and it looks about identical. Problem is there isn't really too too much to do in Fayetteville. There are plenty of restaurants and shopping centers including a mall and 3 or more movie theaters + a Monkey Joe's for the kids, but that really is about it. Crown Coliseum has a few good shows every now and again. If you choose Fayetteville, you also have to be very aware of what neighborhood you choose to live in. Anything less than 850 a month for rent and you will be in or very near "the hood" (this is also reminiscent of Jersey lol).

I know you mentioned Cary and Triangle metro, but hey just figured I'd throw another option out there for ya. Fay is only 1 hr from Raleigh, does have good schools, and the housing is much cheaper.

Last edited by LordHelmit; 03-10-2014 at 08:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina