Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 12:40 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,731,477 times

Advertisements

One of the saddest and funniest things that happen in NC is to watch people show up at the Driver's License Offices without the exact specified forms of ID's and then argue with the drones that work there. No offense, Yankees, but on two occasions, out of two visits in last 10 years, I have had a NY woman and a NJ woman argue THE ENTIRE TIME I WAS there about whatever ID had "always" been taken.

once on leaving I said, "And welcome to NC." Got an F bomb.

Folks, the people at DMV are NOT GONNA bend, it is not gonna happen. They don't care about anything if it is not on the list of items they take. Getting upset is just your folly.

Now, when in military, I maintained residence and car registration in NC. Once the entire registration package was returned and my temp tags were invalidated because some document had been printed on printer and the instructions said "hand print" I decided to put the pen between my toes and "toe print" and see if that would fool them, until my wife intervened.

So I have been there, and I feel your pain, but it does not matter to those folks. It is not gonna happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 09:25 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,032,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
One of the saddest and funniest things that happen in NC is to watch people show up at the Driver's License Offices without the exact specified forms of ID's and then argue with the drones that work there. No offense, Yankees, but on two occasions, out of two visits in last 10 years, I have had a NY woman and a NJ woman argue THE ENTIRE TIME I WAS there about whatever ID had "always" been taken.

Folks, the people at DMV are NOT GONNA bend, it is not gonna happen. They don't care about anything if it is not on the list of items they take. Getting upset is just your folly.
Well, I'm from the Midwest. We try reasoning and humor before aggressiveness And that did work at the DMV. Or maybe it's because I was getting my license renewed in a Hooterville town; a place that tends to be more friendly and understanding.

Anyway ...

When I moved here, 24 years ago, I went to the DMV, was asked what my middle name was, and replied "Elizabeth Ann." Got a frowny look, a conference with a supervisor and a reply "that's too damned long to put on the card" (my first name and last name are also nearly a full alphabet). So they didn't bother. They also didn't bother to at least put my middle name in the system, but that didn't matter the next time I got my card renewed. It wasn't an issue until after 9/11. People didn't get annoyingly officious until that tragedy.

Thankfully, the folks at the DMV were willing to acknowledge the past failing in their system. That, and the fact that I squawked "I'm a 50-year-old lady! I ride a scooter!" causing the DMV supervisor to snort a laugh, accept the copy of my birth certificate (my SS card only has my middle initial) and make sure the system was updated.

That is a lesson to be learned though. In these paranoid times, it would be wise to make sure you have a thorough ID, listing your full name.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:10 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
So do all the others.

Like a DL from the state you last lived in.

For most it's their out of state license.

Bothered? I think you have the cart before the horse here.
The OP's issue is attempting to do both the DL change AND the name change in one step.
Many states are not as specific as NC which requires your first name, middle name and last name on the drivers license. I have lived in 7 states and NC is the only state that required that.

My up to date out-of-state driver's license (picture ID) had my first name, my maiden initial, and my married name. My Medicare card had my first name, my maiden initial and my married last name (Medicare cards do not have middle name, only initial). My passport (picture ID) had my first name, my birth middle name and my married last name (required by US Passport). I also had an NC voter registration card with my first name, my middle name and my last name.

The lady at the SS office said that it was ridiculous for NC Driver's license examiner to ask for a SS card since they had access to the SS database and my full name, first name - middle name - last name was in there.

In addition, I had previously lived in NC and had two cars registered in my full name, which again was in the NC database.

However in the end, I had to produce a signed, stamped and dated letter (no picture) from the SS office saying that my full name would appear on a SS card.

Additionally NC does not accept credit cards, debit cards, for payment for a drivers license, only cash or check and they do not use Telecheck or similar to see if the check is good (I asked).

Old 05-05-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Well, I'm from the Midwest. We try reasoning and humor before aggressiveness And that did work at the DMV. Or maybe it's because I was getting my license renewed in a Hooterville town; a place that tends to be more friendly and understanding.

Anyway ...

When I moved here, 24 years ago, I went to the DMV, was asked what my middle name was, and replied "Elizabeth Ann." Got a frowny look, a conference with a supervisor and a reply "that's too damned long to put on the card" (my first name and last name are also nearly a full alphabet). So they didn't bother. They also didn't bother to at least put my middle name in the system, but that didn't matter the next time I got my card renewed. It wasn't an issue until after 9/11. People didn't get annoyingly officious until that tragedy.

Thankfully, the folks at the DMV were willing to acknowledge the past failing in their system. That, and the fact that I squawked "I'm a 50-year-old lady! I ride a scooter!" causing the DMV supervisor to snort a laugh, accept the copy of my birth certificate (my SS card only has my middle initial) and make sure the system was updated.

That is a lesson to be learned though. In these paranoid times, it would be wise to make sure you have a thorough ID, listing your full name.
I think the operative phrase in your post is, "When I moved here, 24 years ago".

Old 05-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Now, when in military, I maintained residence and car registration in NC. Once the entire registration package was returned and my temp tags were invalidated because some document had been printed on printer and the instructions said "hand print" I decided to put the pen between my toes and "toe print" and see if that would fool them, until my wife intervened.

So I have been there, and I feel your pain, but it does not matter to those folks. It is not gonna happen.
I can tell you that if you are a married female who has taken her husband's last name, and presented a military ID, which is your first name, middle initial, and last name as an ID, and a birth certificate, you would not get a NC drivers license in 2014 in NC.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:17 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I can tell you that if you are a married female who has taken her husband's last name, and...
but what would have happened in the PRIOR state had you done the name change there and then?
I suspect (I'm sure actually) that it would have gone smoothly.

Trying to do the name change at the same time as everything else in the new state is your issue.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
My up to date out-of-state driver's license (picture ID) had my first name, my maiden initial, and my married name.
What state didn't use a middle name on their DL?

Even if the name choice is changed (eg from given to maiden last)...
the whole name (not just an initial) is the norm...
and afaik is based on a federal law going back at least 40 years

Last edited by MrRational; 05-05-2014 at 04:30 PM..

Old 05-05-2014, 04:26 PM

Quote:
but what would have happened in the PRIOR state had you done the name change there and then?
I suspect (I'm sure actually) that it would have gone smoothly.

Trying to do the name change at the same time as everything else in the new state is your issue.
Lived in 7 states, married all the time, same name, never a problem until NC.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
What state didn't use a middle name on their DL?
NC DMV will only accept I.D. documentation that contains the person's full name (no initials or abbreviations) which is different than many states.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:58 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,343,748 times
Quote:
Many states are not as specific as NC which requires your first name, middle name and last name on the drivers license. I have lived in 7 states and NC is the only state that required that.

My up to date out-of-state driver's license (picture ID) had my first name, my maiden initial, and my married name. My Medicare card had my first name, my maiden initial and my married last name (Medicare cards do not have middle name, only initial). My passport (picture ID) had my first name, my birth middle name and my married last name (required by US Passport). I also had an NC voter registration card with my first name, my middle name and my last name.

The lady at the SS office said that it was ridiculous for NC Driver's license examiner to ask for a SS card since they had access to the SS database and my full name, first name - middle name - last name was in there.

In addition, I had previously lived in NC and had two cars registered in my full name, which again was in the NC database.

However in the end, I had to produce a signed, stamped and dated letter (no picture) from the SS office saying that my full name would appear on a SS card.

Additionally NC does not accept credit cards, debit cards, for payment for a drivers license, only cash or check and they do not use Telecheck or similar to see if the check is good (I asked).

Pennsylvania is - just listened to my niece describe her experience at the DMV. I was in tears from laughing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina