Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2014, 10:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Probably more southern accents in Charlotte, but both Raleigh and Charlotte are losing their accents.

No shortage of good BBQ in either place. You're in the best state for that. Cast out any heretics that say otherwise!
There is a shortage in Charlotte for sure. That was one of my major complaints when I lived there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2014, 11:11 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
I would say Charlotte is very southern today. Sitting on my son's back porch, in the heat with breezes blowing, sipping iced tea and watching the grandchildren play.

Feel very Blessed

Old 07-02-2014, 12:37 PM

19,436 posts, read 27,827,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
I went through the Charlotte Airport recently and found a place that did not serve sweet tea, so it's a small thing, but I would vote for the Triangle as being more southern. I can always get sweet tea there.
Yeah but the Charlotte airport has white rocking chairs all over the place.

I vote neither has much of a 'southern feel', which has zero affect on my pleasure of living here!

Old 07-02-2014, 01:42 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,966,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I love the Southern feel in the historical parts. I think Charlotte has Southern charm (not sure about Raleigh) and I love it (and I say that as a super liberal, gay millenial who hates guns rednecks, confederate flags and the tea party and son of Europeans). There is a difference between "Southern" and "Redneck"
Raleigh has a decent allotment of historic structures inside the beltline, and it certainly has character, but it's not a particularly southern place. It's southern in the sense that DC is "southern".

Old 07-02-2014, 01:50 PM

2,823 posts, read 4,491,685 times
You could be right, but Raleigh (and Charlotte to a larger extent) are also a bit southern the same way the Atlanta metro is. All three metro areas are growing, populated by a ton of transplants, and meet the "New South" criteria. Many people compare the Triangle to NOVA, but I see more similarities with the Atlanta metro. However, this is only based from my experiences in both areas, I could be the only one.

Old 07-02-2014, 04:01 PM

15 posts, read 42,846 times
What is traditionally southern? Does that include the negative aspects as well as the positive?

Old 07-02-2014, 05:08 PM

6,114 posts, read 4,606,165 times
I agree with the post about NASCAR contributing to the Southern influence of Charlotte. I think that attracts a more decidedly Southern fan base than some of the sporting events in the Triangle that center around basketball.

The level of Southern feel is almost a tossup between Charlotte and the Triangle and as far as percentages of the population who has a Southern vibe, I'd give a slight edge to Charlotte feeling more southern due to NASCAR and perhaps its proximity to South Carolina. The edge to Charlotte is just an opinion based on antetcdotal observation though.

With that said, even though the percentage of Southerners in Raleigh feels like it's less than Charlotte, the Southerners there give off more of a cultural vibe and accent of the deep South, probably because of its proximity to parts of rural and agricultural eastern North Carolina where natives pronounce the state "Know-eth Kay-uh-Line-uh". Many old school politicians and Raleigh natives living inside the beltline seem to have that accent. The Southerners in Charlotte (and much of the western Piedmont of NC) have less of the deep south accent and mannerisms and more of a hint of a Southern Appalachian accent and culture just because of Charlotte's proximity to the mountains.

Last edited by Jowel; 07-02-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 07-03-2014, 07:21 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,393,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I agree with the post about NASCAR contributing to the Southern influence of Charlotte. I think that attracts a more decidedly Southern fan base than some of the sporting events in the Triangle that center around basketball.

The level of Southern feel is almost a tossup between Charlotte and the Triangle and as far as percentages of the population who has a Southern vibe, I'd give a slight edge to Charlotte feeling more southern due to NASCAR and perhaps its proximity to South Carolina. The edge to Charlotte is just an opinion based on antetcdotal observation though.

With that said, even though the percentage of Southerners in Raleigh feels like it's less than Charlotte, the Southerners there give off more of a cultural vibe and accent of the deep South, probably because of its proximity to parts of rural and agricultural eastern North Carolina where natives pronounce the state "Know-eth Kay-uh-Line-uh". Many old school politicians and Raleigh natives living inside the beltline seem to have that accent. The Southerners in Charlotte (and much of the western Piedmont of NC) have less of the deep south accent and mannerisms and more of a hint of a Southern Appalachian accent and culture just because of Charlotte's proximity to the mountains.

Every time I went to Raleigh and also my step family in Raleigh, I've noticed that accent. They're from Angier & Fuquay-Varina area.

Conversely my family and friends family in law from rural counties in Metrolina (Lincoln & Cleveland) have - to me - the normal southern accent. *Sort of * like a much more watered down version of Larry the Cable Guy (horrible example but it's the only way I can think to describe it)

I never really think of NASCAR when I think of Charlotte. Concord, Mooresville, Cornelius & Davidson come to mind though. I do believe NASCAR is a huge asset though because I meet people allll the time weekly from out of town (usually Canada which is weird, then mostly California & New England). Yesterday at the lake I ran across a couple visiting from California and they loved the area, they loved the lake. I have them a list of places to go and eat. They were here for Nascar

Old 07-03-2014, 08:11 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,678,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post

Why would NASCAR play into it? There are NASCAR tracks all over the country.
If you want to use NASCAR, try thinking about this. Philadelphia is between Pocono & Dover. That doesn't make Philly Southern. It's MidAtlantic.

Old 07-03-2014, 08:34 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,713 times
When we first visited the Triangle and Charlotte in 2005, Charlotte seemed a bit more southern to me. Couldn't really tell you why but that was our initial impression of the two areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina