Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2014, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 1,820 times

Advertisements

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here.
So I'm looking to move somewhere to basically "start over." I have a car, $5k in cash and a few job skills(electrical and IT)
I'm a 24 year old male and have lived in California all my life. I won't miss the weather or the ocean. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same position and had some success or if anyone could offer some advice on a good place for a young adult to start a life.
Thank you for any advice/help.

Also I've been primarily looking at the Winston-Salem and Raleigh-Duram areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2014, 10:45 PM

277 posts, read 436,372 times
Start calling the numbers of businesses in the areas you're interested in and try to secure a job first. That's about all I can offer you since I'm around your age and have never done something like that. If you can find work, then you should have enough to get out here+ 1st months rent, food, etc. If you've got nothing to lose, go for it. If there's a lot to consider then be sure to weigh out all your options.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:33 AM

353 posts, read 604,734 times
I can't give you any advice on this other than, go ahead and do it now while you're still young and not tied down with financial obligations. If it doesn't work out there, you didn't lose much and you didn't hurt anyone else (wife, kids, whatever). Worst case, you end up with some service job to keep yourself fed and keep a roof over your head.

So many people wait until they have a wife and kids, a mortgage and two car payments before they decide they need to "make a change". Sorry, but at that point - unless they happen to have a pile of cash saved up or a guaranteed job waiting for them - it's just too late to make those extreme changes.

Good luck to you, live all the life you can live and take chances while you're still free to do so.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,170,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarLatGo View Post
I can't give you any advice on this other than, go ahead and do it now while you're still young and not tied down with financial obligations. If it doesn't work out there, you didn't lose much and you didn't hurt anyone else (wife, kids, whatever). Worst case, you end up with some service job to keep yourself fed and keep a roof over your head.

So many people wait until they have a wife and kids, a mortgage and two car payments before they decide they need to "make a change". Sorry, but at that point - unless they happen to have a pile of cash saved up or a guaranteed job waiting for them - it's just too late to make those extreme changes.

Good luck to you, live all the life you can live and take chances while you're still free to do so.
This is really intelligent advice above. ^

Old 09-11-2014, 05:45 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,426,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymezx View Post
Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here.
So I'm looking to move somewhere to basically "start over." I have a car, $5k in cash and a few job skills(electrical and IT)
I'm a 24 year old male and have lived in California all my life. I won't miss the weather or the ocean. I was wondering if anyone has been in the same position and had some success or if anyone could offer some advice on a good place for a young adult to start a life.
Thank you for any advice/help.

Also I've been primarily looking at the Winston-Salem and Raleigh-Duram areas.
Good for you. You have gotten excellent advice. And if you don't like it for any reason, go somewhere else!

Old 02-09-2015, 10:48 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
I was born and raised in Southern California and have seriously looked into retiring to North Carolina. My husband and I have spent a great deal of time in the mountains of NC looking for a suitable retirement home. My experiences in NC have been almost all positive. The people are friendly, I didn't see much hatred of Californians (which is so common in Montana, Idaho and Colorado).

Sure, there will be some culture shock and North Carolina folks are different from Californians. But I love the South, I love the Southern history and culture and when people find out you're not moving to their state to change things, they will generally be accepting, Good luck to you.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:17 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,310,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
I was born and raised in Southern California and have seriously looked into retiring to North Carolina. My husband and I have spent a great deal of time in the mountains of NC looking for a suitable retirement home. My experiences in NC have been almost all positive. The people are friendly, I didn't see much hatred of Californians (which is so common in Montana, Idaho and Colorado).

Sure, there will be some culture shock and North Carolina folks are different from Californians. But I love the South, I love the Southern history and culture and when people find out you're not moving to their state to change things, they will generally be accepting, Good luck to you.
I find that to be generally inapplicable to the rural areas.

Old 02-09-2015, 08:03 PM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Don't know if you already made that move, or, are still thinking about it, but you can check out craigslist (in both areas though Raleigh is better for IT) to look for people renting out rooms(only suggested this since it's cheap and has lots of month to month options) all utilities are included so you can save money while you are trying to find a job, and if things don't work out, with in a couple of months, you can go back or else where and still have some reserve cash.

Do yo have any family in this area, if so, probably get more responses with a NC address when it comes to applying for jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina