Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 08:08 AM

2 posts, read 2,403 times

Advertisements

Driving down Island Creek Road to Pollocksville. I was behind the undercover cop car for awhile with some distance and we both were doing 65 because my cruise control was set. He slowed down to 55 and then immediately slammed on his brakes and took to the shoulder. It scared me and I moved to the other oncoming lane to avoid him. He then immediately pulled me over.
My questions is really what are my options?
I was doing no more than 65, I was following the officer so he was doing close to 65 at the time. He said he got me with rear radar and gave me a ticket for 67 in a 55. The officer said he was doing the speed limit.
The ticket says medium traffic but No one was on that road.....three people went by in the 10 minutes it took for him to give me the ticket.
Is there anyway to get out of this?
How much would this effect my insurance if I have no tickets on record?

The road is a county road that is pretty curvy and 55 mph, not much traffic at the time but everyone either goes slow on it or goes 10 over. there really is no between and its unsafe mainly because of slow drivers and people trying to pass them.

Last edited by datman; 11-13-2014 at 08:14 AM.. Reason: added detail
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 09:27 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Hire a lawyer. The cost of a lawyer is less than the long term insurance problems.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:34 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,565,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datman View Post
Driving down Island Creek Road to Pollocksville. I was behind the undercover cop car for awhile with some distance and we both were doing 65 because my cruise control was set. He slowed down to 55 and then immediately slammed on his brakes and took to the shoulder. It scared me and I moved to the other oncoming lane to avoid him. He then immediately pulled me over.
My questions is really what are my options?
I was doing no more than 65, I was following the officer so he was doing close to 65 at the time. He said he got me with rear radar and gave me a ticket for 67 in a 55. The officer said he was doing the speed limit.
The ticket says medium traffic but No one was on that road.....three people went by in the 10 minutes it took for him to give me the ticket.
Is there anyway to get out of this?
How much would this effect my insurance if I have no tickets on record?

The road is a county road that is pretty curvy and 55 mph, not much traffic at the time but everyone either goes slow on it or goes 10 over. there really is no between and its unsafe mainly because of slow drivers and people trying to pass them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Hire a lawyer. The cost of a lawyer is less than the long term insurance problems.
The title of your post claims entrapment, you were speeding, you admitted it. Now follow tdm51's advice.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 2,403 times
WFW&P - I was over 55 yea, your missing the point of what I am asking. I was below 65 (<10 mph) following a cop on a curvy two lane highway and he was doing the same. so your telling me its perfectly legal for him to drive around at such a speed and then give me a ticket for it.

I never get tickets and I have had friends talk about "entrapment" that if your driving down the road and a cop is in front of you, he cannot then pull around and pull you over when your doing the same thing he is. Officers are by law required to do the speed limit unless situation requires. So if a cop is doing 60 down a 55 and your behind him, it is entrapment if he does it.
I know a close friend who got out of a ticket, almost identical to this one.

Old 11-13-2014, 10:15 AM

363 posts, read 445,176 times
Quote:
WFW&P - I was over 55 yea, your missing the point of what I am asking. I was below 65 (<10 mph) following a cop on a curvy two lane highway and he was doing the same. so your telling me its perfectly legal for him to drive around at such a speed and then give me a ticket for it.

I never get tickets and I have had friends talk about "entrapment" that if your driving down the road and a cop is in front of you, he cannot then pull around and pull you over when your doing the same thing he is. Officers are by law required to do the speed limit unless situation requires. So if a cop is doing 60 down a 55 and your behind him, it is entrapment if he does it.
Regardless of right and wrong, you will find yourself hard pressed to convince the judge. Hire a lawyer, seriously. Its only a couple hundred bucks.

Old 11-13-2014, 11:40 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,837,223 times
I think your friend has no idea what they are talking about regarding entrapment. Get an attorney or try for a PJC and traffic school. Claiming entrament will not work here.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:11 PM

12 posts, read 19,200 times
12 - "I WAS ENTRAPPED!" - The Illustrated Guide to Law's Tumblr

Old 11-13-2014, 12:55 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,391,312 times
65 in a 55 is not entrapment, you were speeding. Pay the lawyer his $200+or- and be done with it.

I got caught the same way a few years back and yes it feels like entrapment but lawyers need money and so does the state and that's how the game is played.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:45 PM

2,798 posts, read 2,991,336 times
Quote:
He's a cop. It's perfectly legal for him to give you a ticket any time you're breaking the law. It ain't complicated.

Quote:
I never get tickets and I have had friends talk about "entrapment" that if your driving down the road and a cop is in front of you, he cannot then pull around and pull you over when your doing the same thing he is.
I am not a lawyer and I would suggest that you talk to one instead of taking advice from your friends. This doesn't even come close to passing the sniff test.

Quote:
Officers are by law required to do the speed limit unless situation requires.
Technically true, but irrelevant if you're breaking the law too.

Quote:
If that's true, I'd wager it's because your friend had a good lawyer and/or a sympathetic judge, not anything to do with "entrapment". It would be entrapment if the cop said "follow me, I need your help with an emergency" and then pulled you over for speeding.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:08 PM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
The thing sticking out to me is he said he got you on radar. If he was driving in front of you, he didn't get you on radar. Radar measure the relative speed, which would be about 0 in that case. It doesn't make much difference though. Just get a lawyer and get it reduced.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: