Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 05:05 PM

12 posts, read 11,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRebel View Post
One hour from Los Angeles can put you in several different places. Ventura County, Orange County, Inland Empire. Knowing where that is could help in describing the differences. In all cases, NC will be vastly different culturally and geographically.

NC summers will be quite humid, far more than you're accustomed to. Not sure what you mean by "small town feel", but any visions of Andy Griffith small town life are pretty far off the mark in modern times. They can have crime and drug problems just like anywhere else. The rural schools can be awful - both in terms of funding and quality of students. Of lower cost of living is closely linked to (not surprisingly) wages and abundance of high paying jobs.

The most important thing would be jobs of course, make sure you have one before arriving.

Thank you!!! We are actually an hour north of Los angeles. Still la county. Just a little cooler weather wise, and less crowded. More of a desert area. Basically we are looking for a place that is more family oriented, less crime rate, affordable living. Here sadly we can not live off one income, and own a decent home in a decent neighborhood and my husband is still driving an hour to work. To be closer to work than we would be spending even more money because it's in LA, and it would be extremely crowded. The very opposite of what we are looking for. Notice I am saying decent I don't expect perfect or have a fantasy of anything! But I do believe there is something better out there and paying an extreme amount of money just to live in California is not worth it. Small town feel... I guess I mean just more family owned and operated. Quaint, away from congestion and traffic. Nice, kind people. Things like that thank you!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 05:38 PM

12 posts, read 11,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Mostly, why have you chosen NC specifically? The particular "North Carolina" things you're looking for, based on firsthand knowledge or serious research (rather than anecdote or what you read in a magazine article) will help people answer your question. Do you have jobs lined up and if so, where? Of course that will make a big difference.

Lots of states have (more) affordable living, and good schools, etc--there should be more specific reasons you choose any state than those. How much time have you spent in NC, and where?

Hello,

We actually have been researching places to live since early this year and North Carlina seems to have a little bit of everything. All of which I have already mentioned. More conservative state, affordability, family oriented, a good place to raise a family, good school districts, beautiful scenery, a little coast and mountains and farm at the same time ( which is great because we are in Cali so I would enjoy all those things wherever we go) employment for my husband, he could transfer there or pick up a job as I see many trucking companies hiring but we want to make sure is a great location before even applying. Plus, we do ask around because word of mouth is the best way to be informed (besides seeing it yourself) and no one has said anything bad about that state! My husband has spent very little time in Greensboro before we were married and wouldn't mind going back. We are ready for a change and yes I know people ask, "why North Carolina?" ....And We say, "Why Not Norh Carolina?" ))
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina