Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 05:37 AM

353 posts, read 604,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Then you didn't read the OP. It's about a PBS Documentary on NC's history.
No, it's about a PBS documentary on the KKK in NC.

The title of this thread is "KKK in NC"

The OP says: "PBS will have a look at the Klan in NC on Tuesday at 9. It turns out that the head lived in Granite Quarry. Some Salisbury locals will be on the show."

So, I'm pretty sure the primary topic at hand here is the KKK, focusing on their history in North Carolina.

And my previous post, with link, was just to show that the KKK and hate groups in general are quite active and widespread today and are no longer just a "Southern thing".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2015, 06:22 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
That was in my lifetime too. I remember when it was much more active. It still exists in states that don't readily come to most people's minds.

Just my opinion, but I think that people who dismiss that show have their heads in the sand.
AND THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY IS IRRELEVANT TODAY???

Old 01-13-2015, 08:01 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
I think it was an extremely well-done and eye-opening program for this NC native who was a young teen at the time and clueless about the seriousness of the Klan's political power in that time period. I do wish, however, that they had devoted at least a few minutes at the end for a follow-up of "what's going on in NC today."

Old 01-13-2015, 08:15 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
AND THE BLACK PANTHER PARTY IS IRRELEVANT TODAY???
No need to yell about it.

When was the last time that the black panthers were in the news & what was it for? There was something that included them on PBS within the last year or so.

What is your problem with this program? Go ahead & enlighten us as to what the problem is.

Old 01-14-2015, 04:50 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Overall I thought it was well done. Gary Freeze was A Prof. at Catawba College and has Emeritus after his title now. My kids both had him in different classes and really learned alot.
The marching story about Downtown Salisbury was fun to watch. The Kress building was shown and if you go there today the building has been redone and looks great. The story about the rain storm is still talked about today.

A lot of people thought that integration was a bad thing and needed a place to vent. They were willing to give time and money to push anidea which was behind the times.

The story line really was about a couple of people who found a way to make a lot of money and skim it away from the sheep.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:43 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Quote:
No need to yell about it.

When was the last time that the black panthers were in the news & what was it for? There was something that included them on PBS within the last year or so.

What is your problem with this program? Go ahead & enlighten us as to what the problem is.
Oh.... how about during the presidential election when they were intimidating voters at the voting precincts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRYJqfcEe0 watch and enjoy as you get up to speed on current events. Impressive isn't it? I did not see any KKK intimidating voters.

Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Oh.... how about during the presidential election when they were intimidating voters at the voting precincts?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PRYJqfcEe0 watch and enjoy as you get up to speed on current events. Impressive isn't it? I did not see any KKK intimidating voters.
LOL. The black panthers haven't been active in decades. Try watching real news instead of right-wing fairytales. So someone who once belonged to the black panthers did something in Philly. Big deal. It doesn't resurrect a movement.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:02 AM

2,983 posts, read 4,625,495 times
Quote:
Fox News was the only news organization claiming voter intimidation that I can recall. I believe these NPB was standing outside the precinct holding the door for people. Not exactly intimidation, but it doesn't surprise me that Fox made the claim.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:09 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
I'm From Raleigh, North Carolina.....I need to be brought up to speed as well.
A great comment from Raleigh, I need to be brought up to speed on a show about stuff that happened 50 years ago.

Are you a democrat legislator, or Republican?

OMG...LOL!!!

Old 01-14-2015, 06:12 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
Quote:
LOL. The black panthers haven't been active in decades. Try watching real news instead of right-wing fairytales. So someone who once belonged to the black panthers did something in Philly. Big deal. It doesn't resurrect a movement.
Ok RIP VAN did you just wake up?

They (or at least the "new") were all over the news on Ferguson. In fact, a plot by the homies was foiled when the gubment supplied debit card they were using to buy explosive material, ran out of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina