Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:42 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

I figure now is a good time to become aware of tornado and hurricane awareness in North Carolina.

I found this cool site that maps all the tornadoes this state has had since the 50's

http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com...orth_Carolina/

It takes a bit of time to load the data but when it does if your not from here don't become or alarm by the amount of tornadoes as it collection of all from around 1950's til last year.
You can click on it and it will tell what Fscale deaths and injuries and year.

On the left you can narrow it down to one of the last 3 years.
Base on the data this state hasnt had a f4 in 39 years and about 20 years before that.

Base on that map it looks like 2012 was calm in comparison to 2011.

The most common tornado in NC is F0 and F1. One of biggest issues with tornadoes in this state besides rural coastal plains is due to the topography and trees it hard to see one approaching from a great distance.
Maybe that why Im so amaze in amount of people I saw staring watching the tornado in Oklahoma.
If a tornado warning has been issue due one of two things liksten to a weather radio or find a news station that has good Doppler radar and pay attention to the very red cell and path.

Go to the basement if you have one or find the most interior room and take a a good pillow to put on top of the head.

Ill discuss hurricanes later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 12:53 PM

756 posts, read 836,301 times
Hey, you should post this in the Raleigh section too. Someone asked this very question today, sunny...

very helpful, many thanks!

Old 05-21-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamasplace View Post
Hey, you should post this in the Raleigh section too. Someone asked this very question today, sunny...

very helpful, many thanks!
I appreciate but I want this information and discussion to be available to all residents or visitors of North Carolina across the state.

I use to think tornados are rare but I have been a mile from two f1's within the past 5 years.

F4 or F5 are very rare but I am thinking as crzy as weather has been in nation that this state is ripe for one to happen again.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:29 PM

13,371 posts, read 27,039,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Base on that map it looks like 2012 was calm in comparison to 2011.
Thanks. It is a cool map. The ones on April 16, 2011 touched down in five separate areas.

I remember that time vividly because I was moving in with my cat on April 18. We came through Wilson and could see tree branches blown sideways.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:18 PM

As I am watching a live feed of the Oklahoma , I didnt think about surival supplies to have on you.
Like a surival kit that includes meds, flashlight and grab the cell phone. Connection from the towers may be out but texts will slowly make it out.

I would hope that F4 or F5 never occurs because I really dont know how that many people in a 200k suburb survived like they did in Moore Ok. I heard one report 21 people piled in a storm shelter and I dont know anyone who has one and some of new suburbs are slab built.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:24 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,561,868 times
I lived a mile away from the path the tornado took that struck High Point a few years ago. I realized we had nowhere to hide in our house.
Where we live now there are a couple of good interior rooms and a nice hallway outside.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:16 PM

Default Hurricanes in North Carolina

North Carolina and three other southern states lead the nation in the number of billion-dollar weather-related disasters since 1980. Most of those disasters are tropical-storm related.

The North Carolina coast is the most vulnerable to a direct hurricane strike, but inland cities and towns across the state can also be devastated by the high winds and potential tornados, storm surges, flooding and landslides from hurricanes and tropical storms.

During hurricane season, from June 1 to November 30, you should have a family emergency plan in place and a family emergency supplies kit assembled.
__________________________________________________ ___________________________________
  • Know your evacuation routes and locate your local emergency shelters.
  • Don't get caught by surprise. There is not enough time to think of everything you need to do when a hurricane gets close.
  • As a hurricane moves closer to your area, begin monitoring the weather reports every hour.
  • Listen for hurricane watches and warnings.
  • Put fuel in all vehicles and withdraw some cash from the bank. Gas stations and banks may be closed after a hurricane.
  • If authorities ask you to evacuate, do so promptly.
  • If you evacuate, be alert to flooded or washed-out roads. Just a few inches of water can float a car. Remember: Turn Around, Don't Drown.
  • Keep a photo I.D. that shows your home address. This may become important when asking a police officer or National Guard member for permission to re-enter your neighborhood.
  • There is never enough time to get ready for nature's fiercest weather. Give yourself and your family a head start.
Watches and Warnings
If a watch is issued
  • Monitor storm reports on radio and television.
  • If considering moving to a shelter, make arrangements for pets. Pets are not allowed in shelters.
  • Refill needed prescriptions.
  • If evacuation has not already been recommended, but is anticipated, consider leaving the area early to avoid long hours on limited evacuation routes.
  • Check battery-powered equipment. It will be needed if utility services are interrupted.
  • Keep your car fueled should evacuation be necessary. Service stations may be inoperable after the storm.
If a warning is issued
  • Have your car fueled.
  • Listen to local radio/television broadcasts for emergency instructions and the latest information. ·
  • Keep phone lines open to notify local authorities of occurring events such as fires, flash floods, tornado sightings, injuries or damage. Do not use the telephone to obtain emergency information.
  • Follow the instructions and advice of your local government. If you are advised to evacuate, do so promptly.
  • Follow recommended evacuation routes.
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________
Fuel your car during a watch is important that way it one less thing to worry about. Also if the power goes out then the electronic gas pumps are useless or there may be price gouging.
Also charge up your cell phone and if you have laptop charge that in case you capaple of charging the phone that way unless you have a car charger.

The media at least national media seem to not give attention to storms that are Cat 2 or lower like a slow moving tropical depression. Pay attention to how fast it moving. If its moving slow there will be flooding.

One other thing for the home if you live in a flood prone area or one you think it likely to flood make sure you have flood protection insurance as well as wind. Take inventory and estimated value (pictures help) of the valuables in the home.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-28-2013 at 09:21 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 02:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,336,102 times
Many of the tornados that NC has are spawned from hurricanes and tropical storms and tropical depressions.

Tornados are not uncommon in NC, but they are not usually as strong as the one in Oklahoma. One positive(?) about tornados vs hurricanes is that tornados are relatively small storms when compared to hurricanes. A big tornado might be 1 or 2 miles wide. I think the biggest tornado ever was 2.5 miles wide. Compare that to a hurricane which can be 500 miles wide or more. The largest hurricane, Super Typhoon Tip, was 1380 miles wide.

So, it's great to have a basement or safe place to go in NC, but if a hurricane is coming and you're on the coast getting outta Dodge is a good idea.

Anyone who is a native NC-er can tell you about several hurricanes that reached inland far from the coast, Hurricane Fran, Hugo, Hazel, etc. Even folks in the mountains have felt the effects of many storms.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:15 AM

This is awesome video with great tips and I actually learn new stuff in it.
I hope its educational to you to.

How to Survive a Hurricane - YouTube

Old 01-15-2015, 07:13 PM

47 posts, read 141,457 times
Jeez knowing this- why do people migrate down there? Why do people retire to a place where you gamble ur life and property- with all these tornados and hurricanes? This really concerns me! I live in MA so its rare any storms like that reach us.. I feel like im moving right into the pathway of disaster by moving down there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina