Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,474,527 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvs View Post
I agree with you wholeheartedly about regressive tax structures!!! But I don't think a tax on car PURCHASES is going to be enough to pay for highway maintenance issues. No, we will need something else as gasoline becomes a less important, or at least, not the only way to power our vehicles.

It is a difficult question, and no one solution seems good to everybody.

Still, I would like our roadways and infrastructure to remain well-maintained (and I DO believe NC's roads are pretty well maintained right now).
NC has an annual property tax on cars as well. My wife's car is around $400 IIRC, mine is around $60.

An extra $300-$400 a year on expensive cars will easily offset an increase in mileage. Do the math to figure out what you pay yearly in gas taxes, its not that much. This keeps the tax structure progressive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 01:52 PM
pvs

1,845 posts, read 3,368,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
An extra $300-$400 a year on expensive cars will easily offset an increase in mileage. Do the math to figure out what you pay yearly in gas taxes, its not that much. This keeps the tax structure progressive.
I can't do the math as I have no way of knowing how many "expensive" cars there are in NC, nor do I have the definition for "expensive". But I guess if you set your parameters carefully, you just might be able to make it work.

I guess it would help if NC allowed the sale of Tesla's, eh?

I think the REAL obstacle would be selling your concept in Raleigh, no?

Old 02-19-2015, 05:52 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
The State Legislature is trying to lower gas taxes. Problem is the DOT districts are already running out of funds. As every type of auto and truck use less fuel the revenue will continue to go down. Why lower the funds needed to maintain a really good road system.
http://www.salisburypost.com/2015/02...-rowan-county/

The GOP is hurting the state.
If you want higher taxes and more wasteful spending, Vote for your favorite Dem.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:55 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,554,006 times
Quote:
Personally, I say "nay" to tolls. Get rid of the tax on gas altogether, and institute a new tax based upon:
1) Miles driven
2) Vehicle weight
3) Number and type of axle

This would then handle electric and hybrid vehicles, and place the tax burden on the users who cause the most wear and tear on the roadways.
Great idea, but it would eliminate revenue income from low income, welfare and tax evaders. How would you collect from this group of special people?

Old 02-19-2015, 08:18 AM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
Great idea, but it would eliminate revenue income from low income, welfare and tax evaders. How would you collect from this group of special people?
I don't follow your reasoning, Mike. How do you figure that?

We would collect from them when they brought their cars in for inspection and we noted their mileage, the same as we do for everyone else. It's like a flat tax that folks in Raleigh admire so much.

Old 02-19-2015, 03:44 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
Quote:
I guess it would help if NC allowed the sale of Tesla's, eh?...
NC does allow the sale of Tesla automobiles. McCrory and Tillis stopped the bill in '13 that would have prevented it.

I've seen several around Lake Norman. Pretty cars though not very practical.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:34 PM
pvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
NC does allow the sale of Tesla automobiles. McCrory and Tillis stopped the bill in '13 that would have prevented it.

I've seen several around Lake Norman. Pretty cars though not very practical.
Thanks WK! I didn't know they were successful. I'm surprised, actually.

As for me, WAY too expensive for my wallet. I'll wait until the R&D costs are defrayed before I get too excited.

But I DO think this might be the way to the future.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 1,555,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Toll roads already exist in NC, and more are planned/being built.
You mean like the one on 485 in Charlotte? They're letting the citizens vote on what happens to that road. How much money do you want to wager that it becomes a toll road? I'll wager everything that I will ever own that it doesn't.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...85-lane-2.html

Old 02-20-2015, 06:44 AM

16,762 posts, read 8,231,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandMike View Post
If you want higher taxes and more wasteful spending, Vote for your favorite Dem.
How about having enough revenue to replace light bulbs. Read the article. When you govern the hard issue is enough revenue to cover general expenses. The idea is that not enough revenue is coming in to cover the cost.

Simple things cost money, and cost some more when you want the labor done. Right now the GOP is showing their inability to govern to keep NC at the best it can be.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:44 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,389,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood View Post
You mean like the one on 485 in Charlotte? They're letting the citizens vote on what happens to that road. How much money do you want to wager that it becomes a toll road? I'll wager everything that I will ever own that it doesn't.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...85-lane-2.html
No. I mean the existing Triangle Expressway, the planned toll lanes on I-77 in northern Mecklenburg County, conversion of the express bus lane to toll lane on US 74 (Independence Blvd.) in Charlotte and the planned Monroe bypass.

I haven't read anything indicating a public vote is needed to institute the toll lane on I-485. Even if that is true, I wouldn't doubt people would vote in favor of it, as that road is so congested. I'm sure many people would gladly pay a toll to avoid the gridlock.

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 02-20-2015 at 08:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina