Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 08:47 AM

10 posts, read 10,297 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

A little bit about me: I'm a 24 year old male, currently residing in Minnesota, looking to move out of this state probably next year (mostly due to the climate, but also because I don't like flat states). I'm a senior software developer right now, so (hopefully) finding a job will not be an issue, as long as the place is at least a little bit urban.

I'm a foreigner, have no family of any kind here (don't even have a girlfriend), so that's, umm, "not an issue".

To answer the questions from the sticky thread:

Currently my TOP 2 candidates are VA and NC, and from what I've been reading here, they're pretty similar. I've cross-posted this same thread on the VA forum as well.

Basically what I'm looking for is possibly a place to settle down a bit. I've been moving for quite some time (lived in WA for 2 years, then in Austria for a year, then in MN for another 2 years). I like skiing, but I also like swimming (can you swim in the ocean in the summer in NC?). I like cheap airfares to Europe I also like east coast, or the parts that I've seen (northeast).

What city/town would you suggest? Anything else you can tell me about NC would be really helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 08:56 AM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
From an employment perspective, I'd say Raleigh will have the best prospects for you. The Triangle area in general has a great tech sector (Cisco, IBM, Citrix, etc all have a large presence there). Raleigh is closer to the ocean.. but not really that close.

Charlotte has an OK, not great tech presence (I work for a software company in CLT), and is closer to the mountains, and a better airport for international travel.

As far as livability, I don't think you would have a problem with either.. Both are consistently ranked as some of the best places to live.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:59 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
Atlantic Ocean gets quite warm in the summer - you can definitely swim in it.

If you don't like flat terrain, stay away from eastern NC. We lived a few years in Greenville, NC - highest point in all of Pitt County is something like 90 ft above sea level. Further west, there are rolling hills.

I think Virginia will get you closer to better skiing (I don't ski).

If I did what you do for a living and was your age, I would focus on the Triangle (Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill).

btw, I had a job opportunity near MSP a few years ago...didn't go for it due to the cold climate. We love the climate here in NC - you get all 4 seasons, but not as extreme (usually) as other areas.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:02 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,539,177 times
The RTP area of NC which includes Raleigh, Durham and Chapel Hill is mostly flat to a few rolling hills. Mostly flat in eastern Wake Co. Winters are basically Fall is you are coming from MN, however Summers are hot, humid and buggy. Skiing in the NC mountains depends on the Winter and it is very short and you are skiing on corn. It is just not cold enough for even 30 days of snow cover in the NC mountains because of the latitude. 70 degree days in December is not unusual.

The RTP is 3 hours from the beach, maybe a little shorter to some beaches.

RTP would be the only place in NC for you.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:36 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
As far as being "buggy," if OP is used to Minnesota, I don't think NC will be that bad. I heard a lot about the bugs in MN when I was researching the Minneapolis/St Paul area.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM

10 posts, read 10,297 times
Thank you all for responses. It seems that the 3 of you agree on that Triangle area. I just googled "RTP" and wow, it seems like a developer's dream!

@emelvee - yes, as for climate, that's exactly what I'm looking for. 4 distinct seasons. In MN you have Winter, and slightly warmer winter (sometimes called Summer).

@mlhm5 - It's not unusual to have 50 degree days in December here either... only on the other side of the scale. For skiing, that's okay, I'm completely open to traveling somewhere in order to ski - may even provide a needed rest from whatever environment I'll end up living in.

Thanks all for your help, I'd appreciate some more input from other forum members as well

Old 10-21-2014, 12:10 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deusdies View Post
Thank you all for responses. It seems that the 3 of you agree on that Triangle area. I just googled "RTP" and wow, it seems like a developer's dream!

@emelvee - yes, as for climate, that's exactly what I'm looking for. 4 distinct seasons. In MN you have Winter, and slightly warmer winter (sometimes called Summer).

@mlhm5 - It's not unusual to have 50 degree days in December here either... only on the other side of the scale. For skiing, that's okay, I'm completely open to traveling somewhere in order to ski - may even provide a needed rest from whatever environment I'll end up living in.

Thanks all for your help, I'd appreciate some more input from other forum members as well
You should also check Charlotte. You might find something in data centers near &/or west of Charlotte. They include Apple, Google, AT&T, & Facebook. Those are the biggest.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:54 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,534,267 times
There are active ski & outing clubs in the Triangle and Charlotte. Would give you a way to do weekend trips to VA/WV/NC mtns or week-long trips west with like-minded people. Skiing in the South isn't nearly as bad as mlhm5 would have you believe. Go to the Western NC sub-forum and search "skiing." And the season isn't that short. Sugar Mountain (near Boone/Banner Elk), as one example, usually opens by Thanksgiving and doesn't close till mid-March. Southern skiing isn't dependent on natural snow cover. All the ski areas have full snow-making coverage and the latest grooming equipment.

Old 10-26-2014, 07:34 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,053 times
Default The BEST place is...

The best place to live is OUTSIDE of the North Carolina borders.

I wrestled with the same decision. I've been here over a year, and while it is a beautiful state, I would highly recommend Virginia over North Carolina.
  • You're closer to a "real" city... (DC -- get in, and get out when wanted.)
    [* ] If you've been traveling internationally, you'll be shocked, amazed, and stunned by the ... "Local" mind set here. N.C. has the feel of a lot of small towns strung together joined by slander and idle gossip. (People would rather gossip and giggle than read and evolve. Seems to make them feel more secure.)
  • North Carolina has one of the highest rates of gun violence in the country... translating into the way people here interact.
  • North Carolina now has the LOWEST Teacher rating. Given that... what level of conscienceness do you expect the "students" to function at?? ??
  • The history of mean-spirited, bigoted politics has left many of the electorate with negative thinking. (Watch the reactions to this post...) It will take you about 5 years to adapt... and even then, you'll never be, "one of us."
  • The taxes and services are better in Virginia.

If you've been moving around, looking for the grass is greener... I suggest you ... keep looking...

Old 10-27-2014, 06:27 AM

363 posts, read 445,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganwriter View Post
The best place to live is OUTSIDE of the North Carolina borders.

I wrestled with the same decision. I've been here over a year, and while it is a beautiful state, I would highly recommend Virginia over North Carolina.
  • You're closer to a "real" city... (DC -- get in, and get out when wanted.)
    [* ] If you've been traveling internationally, you'll be shocked, amazed, and stunned by the ... "Local" mind set here. N.C. has the feel of a lot of small towns strung together joined by slander and idle gossip. (People would rather gossip and giggle than read and evolve. Seems to make them feel more secure.)
  • North Carolina has one of the highest rates of gun violence in the country... translating into the way people here interact.
  • North Carolina now has the LOWEST Teacher rating. Given that... what level of conscienceness do you expect the "students" to function at?? ??
  • The history of mean-spirited, bigoted politics has left many of the electorate with negative thinking. (Watch the reactions to this post...) It will take you about 5 years to adapt... and even then, you'll never be, "one of us."
  • The taxes and services are better in Virginia.

If you've been moving around, looking for the grass is greener... I suggest you ... keep looking...
I have lived in several "Real" cities, travel internationally once a month, and what you said flat out isn't true. For one, if you are going to criticize education.. learn to spell.

The two major metros here, Raleigh and Charlotte are mostly made up of transplants from the northeast. I have yet to see any of what you are talking about.

That being said, Virginia is nice, but so is NC.

By the way, because someone doesn't agree with your far left views does not make them a bigot. It means they have a different opinion. People are allowed to have different opinions than you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina